Mediterranean Venice/Fusina port questions

Pegct

Just wondering how passengers are handling Viking ships docking in Fusina when visiting Venice. I see the included tour in Venice is only 1 1/2 hour walking tour.  Are shuttles available to get to and from Venice from docking location in Fusina?  Any other transportation available to travel back and forth from ship to city throughout the day and costs associated with that travel? Will be traveling on Viking Sea in October and starting to look at independent tours vs Viking tours. Thanks for any suggestions.

We were there in mid-March, when Italy still had a policy preventing independent excursions by cruise ship passengers--we could only go into the city with a Viking guide.

Because of the high security at the Fusina port, my understanding is that cruise passengers aren't allowed to come and go from Fusina port except by Viking excursion buses. When we came and went, there were at least 7 security personnel at the gate, all of whom seemed to be in no hurry to let a bus full of grey-haired tourists get on and off ship. I think our ship was one of the first back in Venice after the pandemic, so perhaps they were still getting back into the swing of things, but it usually took 5-10 minutes to get buses through the gates (especially when we returned).

Hopefully, this has changed now, however.

• Like 1

I have not been to Venice post changes but we have been several times prior.  Venice is one of the most unique cities out there.  I have been keeping up with the Venetians "war" against big cruise ships.  I don't blame them as the huge crowds, not to mention the underwater damage caused by large ship movement, were ruining the experience for the locals.  One time we embarked in Venice at the Passenger terminal.  Other times flew in and took the beautiful water taxis directly to the hotel.  Flying in or coming in by train are much much better than trying to see Venice in a few hours off a cruise ship.  Venice is magic after about 5pm when all the day trippers/cruise pax leave.  If you want to see Venice you owe it to yourselves to cruise elsewhere and make Venice a trip in itself.  The Venetians will win the war against over tourism and they should.  This making ships dock uncomfortably far away is just one step..

• Like 1

We were there in April.  Though things may have changed, the only way to Venice (if you didn’t come pre-cruise) for a tour was to take a Viking bus bringing passengers from the cruise port terminal in Venice.  You would need to know when the last bus was scheduled (that could change though if everyone has checked in).  Not sure where you would get the correct answer to your question as the situation there seemed to be fluid and port terminal folks were contract rather than Viking staff.  Calling customer service does no good because they don’t have a clue—I know because I called with a simple question—like how do we get from Venice terminal to the ship and I was told “by tender”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your replies as it confirms coming and going appears not to be option or is very difficult. Hope more recent travelers in Venice have more information. 

We ended a cruise in Fusina/Maghera last month.  The last shuttle back from the Venice Cruise Terminal to the ship was if I recall 10:30.  But remember that the Venice Cruise Terminal is still a distance from St Marks Square.

A recent cruise with a start from Venice boarded at Chioggia which is at the southern end of the Lagoon and one that started in April actually boarded in Ravenna.  I noted that Holland America boards "Venice" Cruises in Trieste.

Cruise ships docking in Fusina/Maghera is clearly a short term option as they are not equipped for passenger screening/security.

Mr Longterm is correct in that one needs to be on a Viking Bus to access Fusina dock.

We spent a post excursion in Venice which was fabulous.  Even if a ship utilized the Venice Cruise Terminal, I would find a visit to Venice to be preferable as a pre or post cruise holiday or separate and distinct from a cruise vacation.

It is a wonderful place and one could spend many days enjoying the islands

• Like 1

We are stopping in Venice for two nights on a Viking Sky cruise in September. We get in early on day one and don't sail until 5:00 pm on day 2. Currently (according to the port website) we are scheduled for Fusina. Since we won't be able to come and go at our leisure without using the Viking Shuttle, we are planning on staying in the city for those two nights. Has anyone done that? We have checked with Viking and they are OK with it but are checking with Italian authorities to get us cleared. 

Has anyone else done this before? We have hotel rooms (fully cancellable with no penalty) booked in the Dosoduro section of Venice. 

Did note about Chioggia and have checked and our cruise will not be stopping there. HAL and most Carnival Corp cruises are going out of Trieste as well as some MSC. Almost all the RCCL Corp (including Celebrity) are docking in Ravenna to the south. Glad we are still in Fusina. Wish we were in Chioggia. 

Jim

Friends embarked on Sky two weeks ago in Chioggia - instead of the industrial ports of Venice.  The coach ride from Marco Polo was just over an hour.  Their excursions to Venice were by boat apparently and led to a long day.  Of course Venice is worth much more than a long day.

The get home tomorrow and I will find out more but others on cruises soon have also mentioned their documents show Chioggia (which actually looks nice).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received the email changing the Sea to Chioggia. theres no detail as to how we will be processed.

do you know if we disembrake and pick up our luggage in Chioggia, or are we all transported to the orginial cruise terminal in Venice. The hotel I booked was especially close to the orginial terminal due to mobility issues.

I'm sure if your post itinerary is through Viking they will still transport you to hotel.

I called to see if we could hit Venice cruise terminal and have Viking transport us to Chioggia. I was told that wasn't an option. So I'd expect if your travels are independent you will be responsible for transportation to Venice. Possibly you could piggyback on a transport to airport with passengers going directly to it.

We are booked on the Mediterranean Odyssey next April from Venice to Barcelona. I looked at the Google map view and see there is a ship channel at Chioggia that leads into the Adriatic. If we depart from Chioggia will the ship pass St. Mark's Plaza or does it just head out to sea?

46 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We are booked on the Mediterranean Odyssey next April from Venice to Barcelona. I looked at the Google map view and see there is a ship channel at Chioggia that leads into the Adriatic. If we depart from Chioggia will the ship pass St. Mark's Plaza or does it just head out to sea?

There is an exit to the Adriatic right at Chioggia.  When we departed from there in June, we exited straight out.  Venice is a considerable distance north of Chioggia.  So no St Mark's Plaza sail by.

1 hour ago, Doortravel said:

I'm sure if your post itinerary is through Viking they will still transport you to hotel.

I called to see if we could hit Venice cruise terminal and have Viking transport us to Chioggia. I was told that wasn't an option. So I'd expect if your travels are independent you will be responsible for transportation to Venice. Possibly you could piggyback on a transport to airport with passengers going directly to it.

When Viking changed our departure from Fusina to Chioggia in June and we were traveling independently, we were told by Viking in no uncertain terms that we were responsible for getting to Chioggia from Venice.  No bus from the Venice cruise terminal.  We even volunteered to go to the airport to catch the Viking transportation for arriving passengers.  We were told No.  So, yeah, assume you are on your own if you are independently traveling before or after the cruise.