Air Canada just cancelled my August flight -- don't snooze or you will lose

xcell

39 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I'm trying to get a hold of Aeroplan/Air Canada because they haven't cancelled my flight but I've checked flight status for the last few days for what would match my flight time from Windsor to Toronto and they are all cancelled. It looks like they are cancelling them last minute but would prefer to have time to plan how I'd get to an airport. 

Have you checked your My Booking online as it should state if your flights have been cancelled while you wait on the phone.  We're flying next week and about 3 weeks ago, we received an email from Aeroplan that our outbound flight had been cancelled and included a new routing - if we agreed, we only had to accept online which we did and rec'd confirmation. As we booked one outbound with Aeroplan points, our inbound was paid by purchasing online which we didn't receive any email - we checked the My Booking online and saw a notice that our flight was cancelled but no recommended rerouting - we called AC (waited 1 1/2 hours on phone) to inquire and sure enough our inbound flight was cancelled so we rebooked a different route at that time. The agent stated we should have been notified by email!!  Have heard similar stories from friends travelling soon and not just AC but WestJet as well. 

2 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Have you checked your My Booking online as it should state if your flights have been cancelled while you wait on the phone.  We're flying next week and about 3 weeks ago, we received an email from Aeroplan that our outbound flight had been cancelled and included a new routing - if we agreed, we only had to accept online which we did and rec'd confirmation. As we booked one outbound with Aeroplan points, our inbound was paid by purchasing online which we didn't receive any email - we checked the My Booking online and saw a notice that our flight was cancelled but no recommended rerouting - we called AC (waited 1 1/2 hours on phone) to inquire and sure enough our inbound flight was cancelled so we rebooked a different route at that time. The agent stated we should have been notified by email!!  Have heard similar stories from friends travelling soon and not just AC but WestJet as well. 

Mine is 4 weeks out but it's still showing as booked, I'm really not confident in it happening. All the 5:50pm flights from Windsor for the last little while have been cancelled. I checked for tomorrow on the flight status for 5:50pm, this morning it was showing still as scheduled with leaving/arrival time and this afternoon cancelled.

I know 6am is completely gone because I did a mock booking so can see it's not there as an option to book. Mine is but honestly they have a 2 hour connection in Pearson which was tight before so trying on the side of caution to bump it to a morning flight even if I have to wait at Pearson for hours because if I miss the connection it looks like the next flight would be 24 hours later 😞 

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Mine is 4 weeks out but it's still showing as booked, I'm really not confident in it happening. All the 5:50pm flights from Windsor for the last little while have been cancelled. I checked for tomorrow on the flight status for 5:50pm, this morning it was showing still as scheduled with leaving/arrival time and this afternoon cancelled.

I know 6am is completely gone because I did a mock booking so can see it's not there as an option to book. Mine is but honestly they have a 2 hour connection in Pearson which was tight before so trying on the side of caution to bump it to a morning flight even if I have to wait at Pearson for hours because if I miss the connection it looks like the next flight would be 24 hours later 😞 

Wish you luck as travelling in these times is a challenge.  FYI, we find an excellent resource for flight routing is the google: https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.  As a matter of fact, it showed no direct flights before the AC site!

Book car service early for early AM .....If your flight is at 6:30am @Pearson  I would get there the latest 3 am - Security opens at 4am ish  ...Pack snacks and patience try not check a bag if going solo then use the bathroom before hand as you wont be able to leave the line...So far  everyone I know with that flight time to the US it has been a mess running to the gate then to sit on the tarmac for an hour or so .... I would really try to go 2 days before if possible in case of cancellation and don't do flights after 5pm the crew time out with delays .....fingers crossed all goes well no lines and you are enjoying a drink on the other side of security .

I was thinking of renting a hotel at the airport (Sheraton), so that I can just walk across in the morning but the hotel is $300, so I think I'd rahter just pay for the taxi/uber/limo service.

I'm travelling with my wife and two teenage daughters -- I can't see them waking up but on the flip side they can crash.  Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by xcell

2 hours ago, xcell said:

I was thinking of renting a hotel at the airport (Sheraton), so that I can just walk across in the morning but the hotel is $300, so I think I'd rahter just pay for the taxi/uber/limo service.

I'm travelling with my wife and two teenage daughters -- I can't see them waking up but on the flip side they can crash.  Thanks for all your advice.

We have done both. The walk to Terminal 1 is not short, about 15 min depending on mobility. We ended up taking a short cab ride. Getting a cab at 4 in the morning was non-trivial.

Last few times we have booked an airport limo service. Means getting up a bit earlier but is much more convenient with baggage, etc.

46 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

I have used Airline Limousine (416 675-3638) for many years. I find it worth the cost to know that my ride will be at my door on time and I will have a smooth relaxing trip to the airport. Travel is stressful enough these days!

I see you’re in Oakville.  We use Oakville United Taxi.  They have exceptional service.  I get a text when they’re enroute and then, again, when they are outside.  I find them very responsive, reliable, and easy to deal with.  They have a good flat rate with a 10% discount if you use their app.  (Although I see the rate has gone up since we used them in March.  Darned gas prices.)  Anyway, I highly recommend!

• Thanks 1

We just cancelled our Air Canada flight tonight for a voucher/credit. We were to leave in 4 weeks, and from what is being reported in the news this chaos isn't going away soon.We will use the credit next year with another cruise we have booked. Our flight was from YYZ to EWR, on Air Canada and from monitoring cancelations and delays over the last few weeks, this flight has had many!

We ended up booking Porter Airlines from Billy Bishop. Not happy to have another credit for a flight, but its better then missing the cruise!! I cant believe the mess at Pearson.

11 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

Thanks! Flying out the day before! First time flying out of Billy Bishop too. 

Before they built the tunnel, the only way to access the terminal was by ferry.  I still use the ferry.  It’s a kinder, gentler, experience.  😂  Not to mention scenic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Before they built the tunnel, the only way to access the terminal was by ferry.  I still use the ferry.  It’s a kinder, gentler, experience.  😂  Not to mention scenic.

Good to know! Thanks again

I was already on the fence about eating the NCL air cancellation fee and booking out of Billy Bishop. I think I'll lose 50% but given the prices at YTZ aren't too insane and I can (hopefully) avoid my luggage getting lost and rebuying everything it's a trade-off I'm willing to take.

1 hour ago, TheGrandSnackoneer said:

I think I'll lose 50% but given the prices at YTZ aren't too insane and I can (hopefully) avoid my luggage getting lost and rebuying everything it's a trade-off I'm willing to take.

How sad that's a calculation we all have to make now when planning travel. I don't anticipate much improvement in the status quo until at least this season next year, if ever at all.

In the pursuit of profits, human decency and customer service are brutal casualties. 

• Like 3