airport to cruise transfer - driver tip?

teachluvbeach

Hi all! First time river cruiser and have learned so much from this forum. Thank you!

I’ll be traveling from Budapest to Prague on Ama Waterways. Is it customary to tip their drivers for the airport transfers and if so how much? I have some leftover Euros from my last trip but wondering if I’ll need to find an ATM at BUD to get HUF for land-based gratuities.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:37 AM, teachluvbeach said:

Hi all! First time river cruiser and have learned so much from this forum. Thank you!

I’ll be traveling from Budapest to Prague on Ama Waterways. Is it customary to tip their drivers for the airport transfers and if so how much? I have some leftover Euros from my last trip but wondering if I’ll need to find an ATM at BUD to get HUF for land-based gratuities.

If the airport transfer is provided by or arranged by the cruise line, then a tip is not expected. 

If you are arranging your own transfer, then I tip.   

You can pay in Euros in Budapest - they are widely accepted.  In fact, many ATMs offer the choice of Euros or HUFs.  I would never use an ATM at an airport as the exchange rate is traditionally much worse than using an ATM.

Fran

51 minutes ago, franski said:

I would never use an ATM at an airport as the exchange rate is traditionally much worse than using an ATM.

You need to recognize the names of the local banks – if they have an ATM at the airport, it will offer the same exchange rate as their ATMs in town.  Just avoid Travelex ATMs and any others not owned by a local bank.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You need to recognize the names of the local banks – if they have an ATM at the airport, it will offer the same exchange rate as their ATMs in town.  Just avoid Travelex ATMs and any others not owned by a local bank.

Thanks, Jazz...  didn't realize local banks have ATMs at the airport.  I usually wait until I hit town and then hit an ATM --> trying to navigate the airport and the luggage carousel takes all my concentration (and patience...). 

I do try to look for specific institutions as I do not pay fees at the ones that have articulation agreements with my host bank.  

Fran

Bank ATMs will have stickers showing the networks they honor.  [I don't pay attention to that, because my Schwab debit card refunds any ATM fees – but I think I remember Canadian posters saying you can't get a Schwab card.]

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When we were in the Amsterdam airport last month it seemed like the only machines we could find were Travelex.

36 minutes ago, jimmymac613 said:

When we were in the Amsterdam airport last month it seemed like the only machines we could find were Travelex.

Unfortunately that is becoming more prevalent. 

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

That begs the question who are Travelex? They must be giving the airport’s quite a kick back.

I’m not entirely sure I would call it a kickback, but they are paying for the privilege of exclusivity.