Britannia Dining - Will we Regret not Doing Britannia Club?

ClefsDor

This one is going to spark a lot of heated debate I'm sure. By way of background we have only cruised on one other line - Crystal Cruises (who are now no longer but it appears they might resurface from the ashes next year with a new owner). We have about 10 Crystal cruises under ur belt and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the line from dining to entertainment/enrichment. We decided to try Cunard as we are after a cruise that is local and requires no long haul flights (we live in Sydney) and that was ideally in October or November. We happily found the Queen Elizabeth, Freemantle to Sydney cruise for 8 nights. We were late in booking and Britannia Club was booked out (as is Princess Grill but we are not interested in paying that amount for an 8 day cruise. Queens Grill is still available but again, incredibly expensive). We are on a wait list but for an extra AUD4000 for 8 days we are wondering if we should bother, especially considering there is no difference in room size. So I would love to hear peoples perspective who have cruised in both categories - Britannia and Britannia Club. I know food is incredibly subjective. For us it is a big part of the cruise experience. One other thing I would be interested in is the ambience of the BC dining room. I have seen pictures of the Britannia Dining Room, Princess Grill and Queens Grill but can't seem to find much in the way of photos of the BC Dining room on the Queen Elizabeth. Any insights, opinions, and thoughts would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

So I would love to hear peoples perspective who have cruised in both categories - Britannia and Britannia Club. I know food is incredibly subjective. For us it is a big part of the cruise experience. One other thing I would be interested in is the ambience of the BC dining room. I have seen pictures of the Britannia Dining Room, Princess Grill and Queens Grill but can't seem to find much in the way of photos of the BC Dining room on the Queen Elizabeth. Any insights, opinions, and thoughts would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, we can only speak of our QM2 experiences of BC Class. The service should be the same.

We have sailed in the Britannia Restaurant from the start of our voyages on the QM2 and enjoyed it. Breakfast and Lunch were open seatings placed by Dining Room Staff. In addition, Dinner was a Pre Set Table Assignment for the sailing. If we were not happy, they re-assigned us to another table in the coming days.

However, for the last 6 times + the next one coming in September we have sailed in Britannia Club Class and have never turned back. Of course, we hope someday the Upgrade Fair will reward us to PG.

We like the BC for its cabin locations on Deck 12 and the newly added cabins on Deck 13 placed on the last refit. We enjoy the upgrade look of the cabins we have stayed in.  

The Same Table Assignment for each meal for the entire voyage also attracted us.

Also pleased to have the same Waiters during our complete sailing.

You can attend Dinner btw 630 and 9 PM.  We enjoy the Britannia Restaurant Menu that changes each evening but also took advantage of the the Pre Grill Menu most of the time. We also enjoyed the personally tableside prepared Flambés by our Dining Room Captain.

• Like 1

Thanks BklynBoy8.

Our first Cunard and TA will be July 8, and I booked a Britannia Club balcony room because of the flexibility in dining. We will have to get a Flambes.

So excited and hoping we don't test positive Wednesday afternoon!

55 minutes ago, Belle1990 said:

Thanks BklynBoy8.

Our first Cunard and TA will be July 8, and I booked a Britannia Club balcony room because of the flexibility in dining. We will have to get a Flambes.

So excited and hoping we don't test positive Wednesday afternoon!

Thank you. We had Peach, Crepe Sue, Cherries Jub really good.

Hope to ask 4 A entrée this time....

We too selected for dining times more relaxed and not chased out when finished.

Don't test + and enjoyed the TA........

Edited by BklynBoy8

We've sailed in all categories and they all have their advantages. The Britannia dining room is much more impressive so it adds to the occasion especially on formal/gala nights.

Britannia Club on Queen Elizabeth is good to have the additional items and your own table for 3 meals but the cabins aren't in a great location.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We've sailed in all categories and they all have their advantages. The Britannia dining room is much more impressive so it adds to the occasion especially on formal/gala nights.

Britannia Club on Queen Elizabeth is good to have the additional items and your own table for 3 meals but the cabins aren't in a great location.

Totally agree about BC cabin location on QE. As they are the same as a balcony, and mostly on deck 8, we have always passed on this category (often very many ££s more than the category below). The dining venue for BC looks impressive but the Britannia restaurant has a grand atmosphere!

From posts on this board, I have gleaned there may be open dining by the time you sail.

Go with an open mind and enjoy!

• Like 2

My blog LINK covers our last cruises post covid, all of these were on QE in Britannia and PG and there are menus posted there under "daily menus" if you want to look

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rakkor said:

My blog LINK covers our last cruises post covid, all of these were on QE in Britannia and PG and there are menus posted there under "daily menus" if you want to look

The menues make me looking forward to the QE even more - thank you.

I reached milestone 50 on Crystal and am Diamond on Cunard, nearly all of it in standard Britannia.  The menus in Britannia and Britannia Club are very much the same, coming from the same galley.  The prime real difference is that Britannia Dinner is 2 fixed seatings, much like Crystal before 2018 while with Britannia Club you have the same table and waiters for all 3 meals and can arrive anytime between about 6:30 and 9.  If at a large table the tablemates will try to agree on a time to show up.

I sailed Britannia Club for 8 days on QM2 in 2010 but everything since then has been in straight Britannia on all 3 ships.  I haven't missed it.

If you feel you would like to try Britannia Club and it becomes available sure go ahead and try it.  One additional Cunard quirk.  I believe there are some "always available" selections but they are not publicized.  If in doubt you might need to be a bit persistent to ask.

Roy

2 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Thanks, Roy for your thoughts on this and hope you continue to enjoy your current cruise. Really enjoying reading your blog Rakkor!

As mentioned before,  the pre-grill experience menu was impressive and used and our DR Capt. even made tableside preps on request with a day's notice. A plus over  the regular Britannia restaurant. Flambes in  Britannia restaurant comes from a common pan for multi passengers and BC for your table alone.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a few years however I have sailed Cunard in Britanica and also sailed Oceania.

Oceania has way better food.  If food is that important you might want to think carefully about your options.

We enjoyed the Britannia Club in the past and was looking forward on the coming sailing.

But Upgrade Fairy blessed us with a Upgrade to Princess Grill and Cabin. Looking forward to a Princess Service.

But we were very happy on the many Britannia Club sailings and the food with the extra A La Cart menu added each day for our enjoyment. I would recommend anyone who wishes to try it, do so.

• Like 1

On the QM2 now in BC. The smaller, quieter and more intimate BC dining rooms in the back are much more appealing to us than the huge, noisy and high traffic main Britannia dining room. We would book BC again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taxatty said:

On the QM2 now in BC. The smaller, quieter and more intimate BC dining rooms in the back are much more appealing to us than the huge, noisy and high traffic main Britannia dining room. We would book BC again. 

Ditto with your description.  That's why we like it. We still pass thru Main Dining Room.

ENJOY!

Edited by BklynBoy8

We travelled on QE out of Southampton last year in a Britannia Club cabin.

We especially loved the restaurant.  The fact that you have the same table for every meal every day is wonderful. The restaurant was much nicer than the larger one, much less noisy.

A small tip, if you do go BC go to the restaurant quickly once on board to choose your table, the best placed ones go fast!

We also liked the cabin, yes, it is small if you are used to having a Suite, but it was okay. The main problem we had was a lack of storage space. I've purchased some magnetic hooks and bags to hang on them for extra space this year.

We thoroughly enjoyed travelling BC and have, in fact, booked QV out of Southampton for this October in the same category.

Whatever cabin you travel in you will have a fabulous time, Cunard are a great cruise line. 😊

Unfortunately on our cruise Britannia Club is fully booked and I am now rather worried about the quality of food we will encounter in the main Britannia restaurant! I have read several posts saying people were in an out of the restaurant in an hour or less after having 3 courses! This is not an experience we will enjoy and I hope we will be able to ask our waiter to space the meal out and not be rushed. I know there is the speciality restaurant for dinner (not interested in buffets in the evening) and out of the 8 nights we are on board we will eat at the specialty restaurant twice (if we can get a booking - I don't seem to be able to book until 2 weeks prior to the cruise) so I guess it's only 6 nights we have to contend with in the main restaurant. 

29 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Unfortunately on our cruise Britannia Club is fully booked and I am now rather worried about the quality of food we will encounter in the main Britannia restaurant! I have read several posts saying people were in an out of the restaurant in an hour or less after having 3 courses! This is not an experience we will enjoy and I hope we will be able to ask our waiter to space the meal out and not be rushed. I know there is the speciality restaurant for dinner (not interested in buffets in the evening) and out of the 8 nights we are on board we will eat at the specialty restaurant twice (if we can get a booking - I don't seem to be able to book until 2 weeks prior to the cruise) so I guess it's only 6 nights we have to contend with in the main restaurant. 

You do not have "to contend". Most probably you will enjoy the meals.

Many times I have spend about two and a half hours in the Britannia restaurant. No problem.

Who reported about the less than one hour meal? The waiters are quite good in adjusting to the passengers wishes. I would hate it, like you, but there seem to be people, often Americans, who regard this as good service.

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

You do not have "to contend". Most probably you will enjoy the meals.

Many times I have spend about two and a half hours in the Britannia restaurant. No problem.

Who reported about the less than one hour meal? The waiters are quite good in adjusting to the passengers wishes. I would hate it, like you, but there seem to be people, often Americans, who regard this as good service.

I was never rushed in Britannia.  However, there can be an occasion where we want to do something on the ship and prefer dining quickly.

On a completely separate subject, if people don't mind, we were on the QM2 and the buffet stayed open to around 1AM in the morning (much limited menu of course).  Does anybody know if this happens on the QE these days? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I don't think you should be concerned about the quality of the food, it should all be good quality regardless of where you eat.

As already mentioned, waiters should serve you at the speed you want. If you feel rushed I would gently say something.

I really wouldn't be overly concerned. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise. ☺️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, ClefsDor said:

Hi. A few days ago I updated a thread that I started in April regarding Britannia Club. You may be interested in our experience. I list the update again below.

"As the OP for this thread I thought I would post an update / my findings as during the last month we have undertaken two cruises on the QV, the latter being in Britannia Club.

Firstly we enjoyed both cruises immensely ( Norway & Western Isles).

Focusing on the differences we found with Club I can now be specific.

Regarding the Cabin.Deck 8. - Identical layout to an ordinary Balcony cabin.

Additions - Two foot stools on the balcony.

Coffee machine provided in addition to a kettle. (We did not use it)

Bottle of still water provided each day. (Providing you use it)

Large bottle of Pol Acker provided. ( half bottle in standard balcony cabin)

Dressing gowns a softer, heavier material. (But no slippers)

That's it regarding the cabin.

We have now completed 26 Cunard cruises so we were aware that the 'big' attraction was always said to be the dining experience.

The dining room was very nice, clean, bright and attractive.

The 'anytime' dining was very convenient and 7.30 meant no rushing for the 10pm show.

Additional "A La Carte" menu provided that little extra to choose from.

Now for the experience - and WHAT A LET DOWN !!

Firstly very surprised that the evening dress code was not adhered to with several men wearing open necked polo shirts and no jackets. Not looking smart at all. 

The food was very good but no better than what we have regularly received in the Britannia Restaurant.

BUT the service - oh dear! It was so disappointing.

The Waiters were pleasant but the Assistant Waiter in particular was obviously struggling to cope.

It is all very well having 'anytime dining' but then on one night having to apologise the fact that 'a lot of people had all arrived at 7.15/30 !! 

It still did not stop the table next to us arriving 30 minutes after us but getting their 'mains' served first??

It was however the lack of etiquette that was most noticeable and to me disappointing.

Call me old fashioned but in my experience the Ladies are always given the menu's and served first - but not with our Assistant Waiter!!  We have never experienced that at all in the Britannia Restaurant.

The anticipated 'Five Star Service' was just missing!

So there we are. I know that Britannia Club is very popular and must be so for a reason especially noting the premiums paid so I guess we were just unlucky but that is how it was.

Thankfully our dining experience did not spoil the cruise and we will most certainly travel with Cunard again - just not in Club."

• Thanks 1

Thanks gfs1ram for posting your comments, I did read your update the other day and it made me feel a little less apprehensive about Britannia dining along with the comments from others that we had nothing to worry about in terms of food quality or service. We're very much looking forward to our first Cunard experience.

Brittania was fine every time we sailed - certainly you can get more for paying more, but sometimes enough is enough -- and on QM2 Britannia strikes us as enough -- certainly if you have experienced dining in other lines (with possible exception of their high price alternative venues).

On 8/3/2022 at 11:51 PM, Cruise Puss said:

I don't think you should be concerned about the quality of the food, it should all be good quality regardless of where you eat.

As already mentioned, waiters should serve you at the speed you want. If you feel rushed I would gently say something.

I really wouldn't be overly concerned. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise. ☺️

I am on QV at moment and happily concur with the above. For us the food has been good, lots of choice we normally go in at 8.20 and come out around 9.45 for the 10pm show which works well. 

Don't get hung up on this it will spoil your cruise just go with the flow the wait staff are very amenable. Enjoy 🍾🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I am on QV at moment and happily concur with the above. For us the food has been good, lots of choice we normally go in at 8.20 and come out around 9.45 for the 10pm show which works well. 

Don't get hung up on this it will spoil your cruise just go with the flow the wait staff are very amenable. Enjoy 🍾🥂

Hi there,

As you are currently on QV, could you tell me what they are using the Yacht Club for?

When we were on QE last September they had Jazz in there, but I know it's usually used as a nightclub.

Cheers

CP