Hawaii Beverage package

Tree_skier

We are veteran Royal Caribbean cruisers who are trying our first NCL cruise.  We are booked on POA and I am trying to understand the Hawaii beverage package that was included with our booking.  I am used to just being able to order anything and everything I want and only worrying about the cost of drinks that exceed the maximum $13.  I rarely exceeded that $13. NCL's package goes to $15 so all is good.  However, It appears that NCL HBP only does not include Latte's, which I love in the morning, and my wife drinks repeatedly all day, unless ordered in the main dining room.

My question is can you just walk into the MDR and order a latte and walk out with it without having a meal? What about at the buffet, is there any option for lattes or cappuccino there?

What is the MDR hours that would allow this?

What about in specialty restaurants? Does the package include specialty coffee there?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later on but this is good first start.  Thanks for the help. 🙂 

The beverage package that comes as the promo doesn’t include speciality coffees anywhere.

If you order something like an espresso after a meal then you may find that you don’t get charged for it, but that is far from guaranteed. I’ve never tried ordering a latte in a restaurant, but suspect that would be even less likely to avoid the charge.

My guess is that if you turned up at a restaurant and ordered a latte without a meal you would certainly be charged.

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are veteran Royal Caribbean cruisers who are trying our first NCL cruise.  We are booked on POA and I am trying to understand the Hawaii beverage package that was included with our booking.  I am used to just being able to order anything and everything I want and only worrying about the cost of drinks that exceed the maximum $13.  I rarely exceeded that $13. NCL's package goes to $15 so all is good.  However, It appears that NCL HBP only does not include Latte's, which I love in the morning, and my wife drinks repeatedly all day, unless ordered in the main dining room.

My question is can you just walk into the MDR and order a latte and walk out with it without having a meal? What about at the buffet, is there any option for lattes or cappuccino there?

What is the MDR hours that would allow this?

What about in specialty restaurants? Does the package include specialty coffee there?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later on but this is good first start.  Thanks for the help. 🙂 

If you want to take the time to be seated in a dining room, wait for a waiter to take your order, wait for the order to be served, then you could get your latte.

Or you could pay for a latte at the coffee shop in the atrium.

Or you could consider that you are in port ever day and two nights. There will be opportunities to visit coffee shops ashore. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you want to take the time to be seated in a dining room, wait for a waiter to take your order, wait for the order to be served, then you could get your latte.

Or you could pay for a latte at the coffee shop in the atrium.

Or you could consider that you are in port ever day and two nights. There will be opportunities to visit coffee shops ashore. 

And try your coffee with a touch flavor essence of "KONA" !

22 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The Hawaiian Beverage Package - how is it different from the Premium Beverage Package

and is the Premium PLUS applicable in Hawaii resulting in all coffee drinks - no charge ?

Hawaii FAS drink package:

Applicable for guests 1-2 on the reservation. Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction. Includes a variety of beverages up to $15 USD retail price. Also includes fountain soda, freshly squeezed juice, bottled water (flat and sparkling), non-alcoholic beer, and specialty coffee (limited to dining rooms only). Hawaii Beverage Package does not include: specialty coffee outside of the restaurants, room service, mini bar purchases, or vending machines. Any items over $15 will receive an $15 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

and specialty coffee (limited to dining rooms only).

This was the part I read and was wondering how it worked. It seems the POA has different rules than the other NCL ships. Their doesn’t appear to be a premium  plus plan on that ship. 

Actually all specialty coffees are Starbucks onboard POA. Coffee in restaurants is only offered as after dinner coffee (and then would be included).

Currently the only place to get coffee is the John Adam´s Café at the Atrium. MDR is currently not open for breakfast or lunch - only for dinner. There is no coffee machine at the Aloha Café, so no specialty coffees at the buffet. There is a coffee machine at the Lanai Bar (outside of the Aloha Café) but that one is currently also closed.

As I do not really like Starbucks and the coffee at the Aloha Café is sort of undrinkable (yeah, hot brown water) I had a hard time. And the lines at the John Adam´s Café were very long each morning.

BTW in some ports there is a local tax and even with the package you get charged the tax. On the other side if you do have a drink which is more than 15 USD you only pay the difference (plus 20% service charge plus tax...). An Espresso Martini is 18 USD. You can find all menus in my review.

steamboats

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This was the part I read and was wondering how it worked. It seems the POA has different rules than the other NCL ships. Their doesn’t appear to be a premium  plus plan on that ship. 

You’ve probably worked this out by now, but ignore my answer above. I wasn’t aware of that difference in the Hawaiian package.