Cancel because of positive test

disneysnob

Now that we’re sailing in less than two weeks,  I’m stressing over Covid testing. We have 3 cabins booked, myself and husband, and the other two have  our adult kids (2 in each). If any of us 6 test positive, are we able to cancel all three reservations?  It’s a family vacation, so if one can’t board, I would not want the rest of us to go. Four of the six of us live in the same house and we all purchased insurance.

33 minutes ago, disneysnob said:

Now that we’re sailing in less than two weeks,  I’m stressing over Covid testing. We have 3 cabins booked, myself and husband, and the other two have  our adult kids (2 in each). If any of us 6 test positive, are we able to cancel all three reservations?  It’s a family vacation, so if one can’t board, I would not want the rest of us to go. Four of the six of us live in the same house and we all purchased insurance.

What does your insurance policy say about this?

Either it's covered.... or not.

(When we purchase policies when traveling with others, we make sure that all of us would be covered if any of us got sick; this includes pre-covid days, and also covid.)

If you aren't sure from reading your policy, ask your travel insurer or the agent you purchased it from.
And make sure that you know exactly how you'd need to document it all, if it is covered.

Hopefully, you won't need it!

GC

The T&C's say you will all get a refund if others in your group contract Covid-19.

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

The T&C's say you will all get a refund if others in your group contract Covid-19.

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases

Thank you for this. Although Im not the OP,  or a novice cruiser, cruising post pandemic is new to me. 

So, looking at above, it seems even if someone didnt have insurance, but tested positive prior to boarding, they would get a refund or FCC to cruise again. Am I reading this correctly?

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

For folks looking for the link to the above language, it's here, in the specific policy adopted by NCL to cover refunds and cancellation because of covid-19:

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

It's also important to be aware of the portion of the NCL policy covering "Cruise Cancelled by Guest," which provides, among other things (and note in this case the restriction in applicability to traveling companions "assigned to the same stateroom"):

• If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.
Edited by Turtles06

27 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you for this. Although Im not the OP,  or a novice cruiser, cruising post pandemic is new to me. 

So, looking at above, it seems even if someone didnt have insurance, but tested positive prior to boarding, they would get a refund or FCC to cruise again. Am I reading this correctly?

Thank you. 

The policy quoted above is an NCL policy covering refunds/cancellations because of covid-19.  It has nothing to do with travel insurance, and you are correct that one need not have travel insurance for this NCL policy to apply.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The policy quoted above is an NCL policy covering refunds/cancellations because of covid-19.  It has nothing to do with travel insurance, and you are correct that one need not have travel insurance for this NCL policy to apply.

But note....you have to be in the same cabin.

I was going to book 2 cabins...one for me and one for DH....and I was told if one of us tests positive, the other one would not get the refund/FCC.

47 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

BUT, despite NOT being stated in NCL's Sail-Safe policy, nor in the body of NCL's

Guest Ticket Contract (§ 4. PUBLIC HEALTH, COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, KNOWING ACCEPTANCE OF THE RISKS, Subsection (e) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise), NCL WILL attempt to force you to file with your insurance carrier (if you have one) so that they don't have to incur the cost of the cancellation under their own policy.  They are not on sound legal footing to attempt this, but they will try!

58 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I was going to book 2 cabins...one for me and one for DH....and I was told if one of us tests positive, the other one would not get the refund/FCC.

According to the policy language, the guests only have to be in the same cabin if one of them cancels because of a positive test within 14 days of embarkation. That language is not part of the section concerning denial of boarding by NCL because a guest tests positive. 

It would not surprise me if NCL is telling people otherwise. But in terms of the policy language, which NCL wrote, that’s not what it says. 

• Like 1

I was scheduled on the Encore to Alaska for the 6/26 sailing.  I tested positive for Covid on 6/24. I contacted NCL the day before the sailing to cancel and submitted a case request along with my test results and a letter from a clinic that I couldn't travel. One week later on 7/2 they applied the FCC to my account for the full amount of the booking and refunded to my credit cards all additional purchases such as prepaid service charges, excursions, taxes, etc.  The letter did state that since I did not purchase insurance through them I received the FCC instead of a refund.  The FCC must be used within one year.   I do have my own annual travel policy and I have submitted a request to them for reimbursement of hotel charges for my quarantine. I am very happy about the way it turned out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

According to the policy language, the guests only have to be in the same cabin if one of them cancels because of a positive test within 14 days of embarkation. That language is not part of the section concerning denial of boarding by NCL because a guest tests positive. 

It would not surprise me if NCL is telling people otherwise. But in terms of the policy language, which NCL wrote, that’s not what it says. 

I agree, if that is what they are telling people they should get their language right, it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

f you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

This is the part that confused me. I read it as ‘ family members or companions in the SAME stateroom”….. 

I believe you can link the reservations and that expands coverage to all staterooms, BUT BUT BUT check with your insurance provider and/or your PCC for the best answer and you might want to record that phone call if allowed in your state.

I have a similar potential situation for my next cruise as well.

46 minutes ago, disneysnob said:

This is the part that confused me. I read it as ‘ family members or companions in the SAME stateroom”….. 

That language only appears in the section of the policy governing  cancellation by a guest because of a positive test within 14 days of embarkation.  It does not appear in the section of the policy governing a denial of boarding by NCL because a guest has tested positive. 

NCL wrote the policy; if it wanted the two different sections to have the same qualifications about being in the same stateroom, it could have written them that way.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Is this only if you have booked the cruise with NCL insurance, or is it for "all" NCL cruisers?

I am just asking because we have two different cruises booked for end of July and beginning of August, and I am really worried about catching covid and testing positive prior to the cruise, and then "loose the cruise". I do have a very good travel insurance as well, but as my cruises are already paid with FCC from cruises cancelled in 2020 and 2021 (and not with "cash"), I am suspecting that a reimbursement through my travel insurance may be a struggle to get.

2 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Is this only if you have booked the cruise with NCL insurance, or is it for "all" NCL cruisers?

If you look NCL's policy, linked below, you will see that it has nothing to do with whether a guest has purchased travel insurance.   It is NCL's statement of how it, NCL, will handle refunds in the case of cancellations or denials of embarkation because of covid.   

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I wasn't clear.

A few months ago I was planning on booking 2 cabins....one for me and one for DH.

NCL told me that if one of us tests positive.....that person would get a refund or FCC.

The other one would NOT get any kind of refund or credit...because we would have had separate cabins.

27 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Maybe I wasn't clear.

A few months ago I was planning on booking 2 cabins....one for me and one for DH.

NCL told me that if one of us tests positive.....that person would get a refund or FCC.

The other one would NOT get any kind of refund or credit...because we would have had separate cabins.

I understood that the first time, the problem is what you are being told does not match the wording in their T&Cs.
Only the wording of the T&Cs can legally be enforced, it is a contract that must be followed by both parties.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

NCL will try (contrary to their contractual agreement) to recover from any insurer - their own, your TA's or a third party.

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

If you look NCL's policy, linked below, you will see that it has nothing to do with whether a guest has purchased travel insurance.

You're right.  But wait until you are in the position of wanting a refund/FCC and see how they attempt to screw the insurers to protect the bottom line.

30 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That sounds par for the course @MsTabbyKats, but if NCL won't even follow their stated policies or contractual language, where does that put their 'oral statements'?

57 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Maybe I wasn't clear.

What is not clear is the specific scenario you were discussing on the phone with NCL.  If it was a denial of boarding by NCL because one of you tested positive on the pre-cruise test required by NCL, then the terms of the NCL policy, quoted and linked to above, do not require that another family member be in the same stateroom in order for the refund/FCC policy to apply.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

What is not clear is the specific scenario you were discussing on the phone with NCL.  If it was a denial of boarding by NCL because one of you tested positive on the pre-cruise test required by NCL, then the terms of the NCL policy, quoted and linked to above, do not require that another family member be in the same stateroom in order for the refund/FCC policy to apply.

This is the specific hypothetical case:

I want to book a cabin.  I snore.  My husband kicks.  It would cost the same to get two cabins instead of both being in one.  If we get the two cabins, and I test positive, what happens?

I will not be allowed to board...I'll get a FCC/Refund.

My husband can board and sail if he tests negative.

We didn't go into "how many days...blah blah blah".

It was strictly hypothetical because we wouldn't go without each other....

If the rep said that we'd both get a refund/fcc....I would have booked 2 cabins.

The bottom line is, I guess you are pointing out, that the rules aren't clear....which is why I asked.  I could have been given the wrong info.

28 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The bottom line is, I guess you are pointing out, that the rules aren't clear....which is why I asked.  I could have been given the wrong info.

No, the bottom line is that the rules ARE clear (and I have not suggested otherwise).  The rules are spelled out in the NCL policy linked to and quoted in comments above.   Perhaps you did not give the NCL rep a very clear hypothetical, since the determination of whether someone in a separate cabin gets a refund/FCC depends on whether a guest has cancelled the cruise because she's tested positive within 14 days of embarkation OR NCL denies boarding to that guest because she's tested positive on the required pre-cruise test.