New Soda Cup Design

13 hours ago, Steppy08 said:

Yes, Enchantment has Freestyle. Windjammer and Centrum Deck 6. If it’s working. It was hit or miss last week. Usually out of ice (which for me is not a big deal since I hate ice) but also frequently out of many syrups. I got a Cherry Coke that was neither cherry nor Coke. 

here are both cups for anyone who hasn’t cruised recently… left is from Brilliance in January, right is from last week on Enchantment 

Not a fan of wasted plastics but the sticker on the new cheaper cups falls off frequently, requiring finding another open /not busy bar for replacement 

D2B65843-BA5A-4970-9A7F-6091D4BE521C.jpeg

That appears to be quite the downgrade. 

• Like 1

Well, my plan is to bring a $9 Walmart insulated 32oz tumbler (surprisingly well made) and a tube of superglue. If I get the cheap plastic cup I'll try to take it off and glue it to the stainless steel one. 

ozarktumbler.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flamingos said:

I wonder if that is part of the reason that they stopped putting them in your cabin if you have a drink package.  You have to get one from a bar, and they would activate it the first time they fill it for you.  

I'm glad I saw this.  I was used to seeing the cup in the cabin.  

On 7/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, BirdTravels said:

We were just on the Quantum and got the "regular" double walled cups

Hi everyone! Sorry for dropping off the face of the planet. We’ve been enjoying the cruise. 

Glad you got the regular double walled cups! Like I said, I’m not sure if the new cups are the standard or not but on our cruise they were and they weren’t ideal if you wanted to keep your drink cool while out on the pool deck. It was just a friendly heads up because I’ve heard a lot of complaining from others without back up cups. 

Regardless of what you and your family decide to do, I hope you have an awesome time on your upcoming cruise like we are! 

I got the new design last week on Oasis. First thought “ what’s with the glorified Dixie cup?” . But it worked for me and I actually found it easier to carry around since it was a slimmer design. 

just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Only cheap plastic ones on Harmony last week.  They had a table in the Promenade to pick them up.  Sweat, don't keep drinks cold and leak if you tip them.  That was our major complaint on the post-cruise survey.

Soda package price is way up, even on "sales."  They should be able to afford the better cups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Only cheap plastic ones on Harmony last week.  They had a table in the Promenade to pick them up.  Sweat, don't keep drinks cold and leak if you tip them.  That was our major complaint on the post-cruise survey.

Soda package price is way up, even on "sales."  They should be able to afford the better cups.

How were the chips attached to the bottom, just taped or glued on?  Those look like regular frozen drink cups that they used when their supply of regular cups ran out.

So the question becomes, if the sticker falls off your cup, and you take a long piece of scotch tape and run it clear around your 'bring your own' tumbler, will it work in the freestyle machine? 

While I liked the old style okay, I wish they had a big recycle bin for them at the end of a cruise. Our first cruise, it was something special. Over time, nah. Even with the top shut, it'd leak if it fell over. Didn't see much use at home. 

Wonder what Symphony of the Seas is using right now? Those tumblers cost some money and baggage space; would be annoying to bring them and find out unneeded. 

Richard.

2 hours ago, drrich2 said:

So the question becomes, if the sticker falls off your cup, and you take a long piece of scotch tape and run it clear around your 'bring your own' tumbler, will it work in the freestyle machine? 

All you need to do is place the RFID chip close to the Freestyle machine reader, it doesn’t need to be fixed to anything. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many ounces the new cups are? I was thinking of getting a coffee cup sleeve with a handle to put it in (something like the photo below). Then it will be more insulated, easier to carry and since it’s fairly thin I assume the scanner would still be able to read the cup with the sleeve on. I just need to know how many ounces to get the right size. 

3ECE6333-30D0-4BB3-9D68-C834FCC5E9D4.thumb.jpeg.4cb7a1c5ac863f3ebb8e98a49ea31f80.jpeg

1 hour ago, Happy New Cruiser said:

Does anyone know how many ounces the new cups are? I was thinking of getting a coffee cup sleeve with a handle to put it in (something like the photo below). Then it will be more insulated, easier to carry and since it’s fairly thin I assume the scanner would still be able to read the cup with the sleeve on. I just need to know how many ounces to get the right size. 

3ECE6333-30D0-4BB3-9D68-C834FCC5E9D4.thumb.jpeg.4cb7a1c5ac863f3ebb8e98a49ea31f80.jpeg

No idea but my cup is in my suitcase. I can check for you when I get home tomorrow. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, Project-College said:

Thanks for the update!

I saw something today on Google News (https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/07/02/royal-caribbean-updates-labadee-suite-change-starlink-approved-cup-change-more )

and it too said that RCL is using new cups and the labels on the bottle keep coming off (where the machine will NOT disperse any drink then).

Using the cup to get the drink, then poring it into a big Hydro Flask/Yenti/Takeye/etc. makes a lot of sense! 

Hope that RCL security doesn't try to think I am using someone else's package!

good link.  Thanks!   I am less likely to buy a package with these ugly cups.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

good link.  Thanks!   I am less likely to buy a package with these ugly cups.  

I don’t understand the fuss about a cup? We just leave ours in the room the last day and last two cruises we never even took the plastic off. I’m sure they are just thrown away by the staff once opened.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, LeeW said:

I don't think we have ever used the cups. Get the waiter to bring you a drink in a glass when indoors, or a fresh, clean plastic one on deck.

• 4 months later...