Covid quarantine on the Apex

quicklabs

22 hours ago, RichYak said:

I don't know. I never mentioned anything about contract tracing. I'm merely saying that self reporting is a choice.

As is the socially responsible decision to self isolate should one become ill on a cruise.  Despite the claims by some CC posters that they would do so, I am doubtful.  

4 hours ago, twincheryl said:

I do hope you will consider emailing Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and say exactly what you did here. I have suggested this to a couple others who were nicely surprised by a rapid response. They need to keep hearing from us… and we can keep hoping for change. 

What I would ask is if Celebrity reports confirmed cases of Covid to the CDC?  We know the answer is yes.

Second is how many are diagnosed?   Going to the CDC website you can get a range of cases by percentage of those on board.  But only that.

Can you get the reported numbers from the CDC?  Several here have tried and failed.  No real numbers from the CDC since December. 

Why is the CDC no.longer reporting case numbers?

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

What I would ask is if Celebrity reports confirmed cases of Covid to the CDC?  We know the answer is yes.

Second is how many are diagnosed?   Going to the CDC website you can get a range of cases by percentage of those on board.  But only that.

Can you get the reported numbers from the CDC?  Several here have tried and failed.  No real numbers from the CDC since December. 

I wonder about the ships are sailing in Europe.  Is Celebrity still reporting data for these ships since they are no longer sailing from the U.S?   Ships currently in Europe are  no longer being tracked on the CDC website at all.  You will not find "colors" being reported for the Apex, Edge, etc.  

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

OP I appreciate you sharing. We moved to Florida in the year our nest emptied...2019...and were on our way to enjoying being able to cruise easily and I want to cruise again, but I am not willing to subject myself to being so out of control of my own circumstances. I check periodically here to see how things are being handled onboard so again I say thank you for sharing. I will continue to wait for cruising and feel like it may be years before I would want to get on board again.

I'm certainly no expert but the news of all the variants of Omicron and how sneaky it is...it doesn't respond to antibodies from previous Omicron infection...it just goes round and round. Reinfection is common. No one is talking about the potential consequences to the next passengers in the cabins where those who may not report...or who don't even test because symptoms are so slight or not seemingly particular to Covid. IDK the situation with the air filtration and how often it is replaced and how well the cabins are really being cleaned and how long Covid hovers in the air... 

I'm not as concerned about having Covid. Though Covid is no joke and I have to deal with the life long consequences of my own response to having Delta. It's the control factor for me...I'll continue with my non cruise travel... 

I think this is a wise decision.  The situation really is out of our control once aboard. And Omicron has changed the game considerably since one is so easily infected whether vaxxed, boosted or not.  

On 7/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Oville said:

Was that the b2b Zenith couple where on tested positive the last full day of the first cruise?

Also the ship was at over 3% and all the quarantine cabins were occupied.   

23 minutes ago, Twigster said:

As is the socially responsible decision to self isolate should one become ill on a cruise.  Despite the claims by some CC posters that they would do so, I am doubtful.  

I share this assessment  Most will not self isolate at all, and will simply "party on" if they feel well enough to do so.  For that matter, most won't even bother to mask up or to try to create space between themselves and others. 

Edited by quicklabs

12 hours ago, calicakes said:

I just spoke with someone yesterday who were on a 3 back to back cruise.  They tested positive before the 3rd leg and were allowed to remain in their suite for the entire 10 days of the cruise.  They were on Beyond. 

And herein is the problem - one has absolutely no idea of what will happen if testing positive.

The OP was in a Celebrity Suite and moved to an OV and your friend was allowed to stay in their cabin.

So besides not following their own supposed protocol about masking - Celebrity also seems to not even have a protocol for isolating should you become sick from the first problem.

• Like 2

We too stayed"(very recently) in isolation. In our case - Edge, infinitive veranda on deck 6 ( Edge's "red zone") instead of SV on 10. Not pleasant but not terrible. Have been diagnosed on last day of the 1st cruise in a b2b (Italy) and stayed there until the disembarking in Barcelona.

My question is about the refund/compensation we are supposed to receive for our "lost days" of the cruises. Does anyone know how it works? Have anyone here received any? 

3 hours ago, almostnewtocruise said:

We too stayed"(very recently) in isolation. In our case - Edge, infinitive veranda on deck 6 ( Edge's "red zone") instead of SV on 10. Not pleasant but not terrible. Have been diagnosed on last day of the 1st cruise in a b2b (Italy) and stayed there until the disembarking in Barcelona.

My question is about the refund/compensation we are supposed to receive for our "lost days" of the cruises. Does anyone know how it works? Have anyone here received any? 

no knows how it works, somepeople have refunds others have not 

14 hours ago, Twigster said:

I don't think anyone on a cruise would self-isolate; they may go get tested the last day, but no one on this forum is going to voluntarily isolate. 

5 hours ago, almostnewtocruise said:

Yes, they divide the fare portion of the cruise by number of days, then compensate you per diem for the days you missed.  In your case sounds like it would be 1 days worth of your first cruise, and the entirety of the second cruise. 

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

CDC is probably not reporting actual case numbers on ships because there are likely far too many numbers infected.  And even then they would be under-represented because of the majority of passengers choosing not to report on board.  Or hard to track those getting infected and getting symptoms post-cruise.  We literally live in a sea of COVID.  Isn't that really all we need to know?  How would it matter if some under-represented numbers on ships were made public?  People would still decide to cruise or not.  The good news continues to be that the vast majority of infections are mild.  I have seen very few reports of that not being the case on these boards from people in isolation.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, they divide the fare portion of the cruise by number of days, then compensate you per diem for the days you missed.  In your case sounds like it would be 1 days worth of your first cruise, and the entirety of the second cruise. 

Thanks very much  for this piece of information. That's more or less is  what I thought they meant by "compensation". I just don't know if it will be done automatically or do we need to call them (repeatedly?) for it? 

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't think anyone on a cruise would self-isolate; they may go get tested the last day, but no one on this forum is going to voluntarily isolate. 

What does that say about their character?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I think it’s the morally right thing to do to self isolate but agree many may not do that unless there was compensation for lost cruise days

23 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

What does that say about their character?

Not sure if this is a character issue although many people commenting here are suggesting that.  It certainly is a choice that many people are making one way or the other.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, almostnewtocruise said:

Thanks very much  for this piece of information. That's more or less is  what I thought they meant by "compensation". I just don't know if it will be done automatically or do we need to call them (repeatedly?) for it? 

We were in quarantine on the Beyond in June. I asked a couple of times how things would work because we weren't really provided with anything on paper (apart from our medical records and letter of recovery). They assured me they would look after everything at their end. About 5 days after we disembarked I received an email from Celebrity asking me to call with my credit card details for refund. I phoned once we were back home, and the refund showed up on my credit card in less than a week. It was actually more than I expected and higher than a strictly per diem rate. So no idea how they worked it out.

Edited by koolforkatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2022 at 11:16 PM, koolforkatz said:

We were in quarantine on the Beyond in June. I asked a couple of times how things would work because we weren't really provided with anything on paper (apart from our medical records and letter of recovery). They assured me they would look after everything at their end. About 5 days after we disembarked I received an email from Celebrity asking me to call with my credit card details for refund. I phoned once we were back home, and the refund showed up on my credit card in less than a week. It was actually more than I expected and higher than a strictly per diem rate. So no idea how they worked it out.

Sounds like indeed you experienced a great service by Celebrity!

So far not only we didn't hear from them (as promised) ,  but they also did not answer (or even acknowledged)  my mail - nor returned our TA's calls .

So thanks for giving us some hope! We can still hope that we'll hear from them soon..😃

1 hour ago, almostnewtocruise said:

Sounds like indeed you experienced a great service by Celebrity!

So far not only we didn't hear from them (as promised) ,  but they also did not answer (or even acknowledged)  my mail - nor returned our TA's calls .

So thanks for giving us some hope! We can still hope that we'll hear from them soon..😃

I’m guessing based on Covid rates rising that there may be more infections and quarantines on the ships and hence, a higher volume for these reimbursements and a delay in processing them

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m guessing based on Covid rates rising that there may be more infections and quarantines on the ships and hence, a higher volume for these reimbursements and a delay in processing them

Celebrity should atleast knowledge that they received your email 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

It's possible. I'd like to think that  this is the reason for the delay. So many ships.. so many cruises.. 

Although, I must say that, at least on the  European cruises, I got the impression  that the number of "positives" (and therefore isolated) is getting down. Maybe only because there are less mandatory tests done -  and most of the positives are either asymptomatic or have very  light symptoms (like common cold). So, no test - no isolation. 

By the was, during our 8 days of isolation we've never seen more than 6 occupied cabins in our (quite long)  "red zone" (room service trays outside = occupied cabin 😀).  

20 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Celebrity should atleast knowledge that they received your email 

And still haven't heard from them. Will write again in a day or two. 🥵

On 7/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, quicklabs said:

I share this assessment  Most will not self isolate at all, and will simply "party on" if they feel well enough to do so.  For that matter, most won't even bother to mask up or to try to create space between themselves and others. 

To the original poster, am so so sorry for your experience.   

We were on the Reflection back in March, and not one case was reported to passengers.  I find that hard to believe.   Some passengers wearing masks, most were not.   Ship was only about 1/2 capacity though.   

But as a person, who has had Covid (while at home about a month ago) with absolutely not one symptom, the only reason that I tested was that my brother, who was staying with us tested positive.   

I bet there are tons of asymptomatic people (unless they regularly take tests) walking around with Covid.   

We are on the Apex November 2023 for a transatlantic.  But who knows as this approach another year into this.       

On 7/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, RichYak said:

If you self-report your runny nose to medical, you won't be given a choice.

Based on all the posts I've read, I am realizing that more and more.  Let's hope in the next few months "someone" in Celebrity Management realizes there has to be a better resolution!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Based on all the posts I've read, I am realizing that more and more.  Let's hope in the next few months "someone" in Celebrity Management realizes there has to be a better resolution!!

Well maybe now that the CDC "voluntary" program has ended..........