Covid quarantine on the Apex

quicklabs

Day 8 of quarantine on the Apex.  My husband joined me on Day 6 of our 12 day Iceland and Ireland cruise.  I missed all the ports.  The ship was at 3% three days ago.  Quarantine on the Apex is on Deck 3.  The small cabin has a window, but no opportunity to get fresh air or exercise beyond using the internet for You Tube videos..  We are kept comfortable and there is a prompt response to our calls, but quarantine is no picnic.  They reach out often to see if anything is needed.   Even the Spa sent some nice salt scrub.   Celebrity is doing all they can and it is appreciated.  Nevertheless, not sure that I could do this again in the foreseeable future.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quicklabs said:

Day 8 of quarantine on the Apex.  My husband joined me on Day 6 of our 12 day Iceland and Ireland cruise.  I missed all the ports.  The ship was at 3% three days ago.  Quarantine on the Apex is on Deck 3.  The small cabin has a window, but no opportunity to get fresh air or exercise beyond using the internet for You Tube videos..  We are kept comfortable and there is a prompt response to our calls, but quarantine is no picnic.  They reach out often to see if anything is needed.   Even the Spa sent some nice salt scrub.   Celebrity is doing all they can and it is appreciated.  Nevertheless, not sure that I could do this again in the foreseeable future.  

I would ask them to take your oxygen level, my wife was quarantine in an OV , on the TA , and got a low oxygen reading on her iwatch 

we still have not heard back from Celebrity, we have sent emails , our Travel agent has been in contact with Celebrity and all they tell her is  they will get back to her 

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I would ask them to take your oxygen level, my wife was quarantine in an OV , on the TA , and got a low oxygen reading on her iwatch 

we still have not heard back from Celebrity, we have sent emails , our Travel agent has been in contact with Celebrity and all they tell her is  they will get back to her 

We brought our own pulse oximeter.  I am at 99.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Covid isolation on the Infinity is on deck 2. I think they are saving balconies for paying customers. Your oxygen level is not affected by being in an OV cabin. If it is going to be low from Covid it will be low in any type of room. 

Isn't OP a paying guest?

I've wondered what would happen if somebody said "I'm just fine in my Infinite Verandah right now so no, I won't be moving to a stateroom that has no access to fresh air."  Obviously they can require and force, but I wonder if they have any wiggle room to concede if the guests refuse to relocate. It's not like meals are being delivered at set times or anything so operational reasons to relocate, apart from protecting non-positive stateroom occupants, should be negligent. 

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Isn't OP a paying guest?

I've wondered what would happen if somebody said "I'm just fine in my Infinite Verandah right now so no, I won't be moving to a stateroom that has no access to fresh air."  Obviously they can require and force, but I wonder if they have any wiggle room to concede if the guests refuse to relocate. It's not like meals are being delivered at set times or anything so operational reasons to relocate, apart from protecting non-positive stateroom occupants, should be negligent. 

If one refused to relocate they per the cruise contract would likely be thrown off at the next port.

• Like 2

There was a post a few weeks ago about how they were handeling quarantining on an S-class ship.

Instead of isolating covid passengers on deck 6 in balcony cabins where they  would have the opportunity to sit outside and get some fresh air, they were down on deck 3. 

They used deck 6 to quarantine new crew for 2 weeks. I'm sure they enjoyed their balcony rooms!!

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

Isn't OP a paying guest?

When my husband tested positive four days later, I was hoping they would move me back into our beautiful Celebrity suite, since we would both be well able to finish a quarantine there and disembark on schedule.  But no, they made him relocate from the suite to this pitiful OV stateroom.  I cannot find the logic in this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Isn't OP a paying guest?

Yes they are but if left empty in anticipation of use they would not being paid for their use. This the “paying” comment. 

When my husband tested positive four days later, I was hoping they would move me back into our beautiful Celebrity suite, since we would both be well able to finish a quarantine there and disembark on schedule.  But no, they made him relocate from the suite to this pitiful OV stateroom.  I cannot find the logic in this.

Did you test because you had symptoms? If so, what were your symptoms? When will you test again to see if you can return to your original cabin? Good luck!

6 hours ago, quicklabs said:

Day 8 of quarantine on the Apex.  My husband joined me on Day 6 of our 12 day Iceland and Ireland cruise.

I hope you both recover quickly, and I'm sorry that you are in OVs with no access to fresh air.   I'm glad you are otherwise being treated well, and I hope that keeps up.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your testing positive.   We were lucky to stay in our RS but we only tested the day before the end of the cruise on B2B testing and all the isolation cabins were full.   Even that one really feels trapped when you can't leave your room.

Hope you recover quickly.   Hope your symptoms are mild and stay that way. 

To be taken from a Celebrity Suite to an OV on Deck 3 is unacceptable.  I can not imagine having no fresh air for 8 days and counting.  I feel bad for you and dh.  It is very gracious for you to say Celebrity is doing all they can........

• Like 5

So sorry you got big C.  Even if your symptoms are mild it is still a shame that you and your DH cannot stay on your CS.  I am bringing Paxlovid onboard, hoping that I might escape the dungeon earlier if infected; however, no guarantee of that.  It is the chance we all have to take to cruise.  Do you have any idea how you might have caught it?  

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Yes they are but if left empty in anticipation of use they would not being paid for their use. This the “paying” comment. 

So if you were a "paying Customer" who had a balcony cabin you would be OK moving to a deck 3 window cabin and not have a problem with Celebrity isolating "non-paying new crew" in empty deck 6 balcony cabins????

6 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

Isn't this moot if they refund you for the days you are moved to a quarantine cabin?

If I payed for a balcony, I woud expect to stay in a balcony and not be moved to accomodate quaranteed new crew!!!. 

17 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

So if you were a "paying Customer" who had a balcony cabin you would be OK moving to a deck 3 window cabin and not have a problem with Celebrity isolating "non-paying new crew" in empty deck 6 balcony cabins????

Once you are isolated, you are no longer a "paying customer".

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So sorry you got big C.  Even if your symptoms are mild it is still a shame that you and your DH cannot stay on your CS.  I am bringing Paxlovid onboard, hoping that I might escape the dungeon earlier if infected; however, no guarantee of that.  It is the chance we all have to take to cruise.  Do you have any idea how you might have caught it?  

Thank you for sharing!

No clue how we caught it.  We wore N95 s constantly and were distanced in Luminae. Double boosted.  We were so super careful.  However, no one else seemed to be masked anywhere.  Lots of coughing, many not even bothering to cover, on a bus excursion.  I am guessing it was there. To be released, you need negative tests on Day 5 and 6 of isolation.  If even one of those is positive, Quarantine continues for 10 days if you are still onboard.  If you disembark before 10 days, no additional Quarantine on land is required if you put in your 5 days of isolation onboard.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

To be taken from a Celebrity Suite to an OV on Deck 3 is unacceptable.  I can not imagine having no fresh air for 8 days and counting.  I feel bad for you and dh.  It is very gracious for you to say Celebrity is doing all they can........

Thank you.  The psychological stress has been very high.  I am a person who does not do well indoors.  We sleep with windows wide open even in the winter.  Takes all of my stress management skills to cope with this.  It feels like imprisonment at times.  I sometimes feel like a fool for self reporting.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

If I payed for a balcony, I woud expect to stay in a balcony and not be moved to accomodate quaranteed new crew!!!. 

Better stay home then.   I believe if quarantined crew test positive they are moved to isolation on deck 3 as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

What?!  You are missing the point but I am sure you would much rather argue the semantics. 

Thank you.  The psychological stress has been very high.  I am a person who does not do well indoors.  We sleep with windows wide open even in the winter.  Takes all of my stress management skills to cope with this.  It feels like imprisonment at times.  I sometimes feel like a fool for self reporting.

Sounds like you are struggling….keep strong you did the right thing reporting but sorry Celebrity did not leave you in your original room can’t understand that as who else could have used that room in the middle of a cruise. Hope this does not put you off cruising in the future. Wishing you all the best for the future.

• Like 8