Livorno cancelled

exlondoner

I had an email at lunch time from our TA, saying our call at Livorno on 22 July is cancelled. I wonder if anyone, perhaps Blue Marble, would have an idea why that is. It doesn't matter to me either way, but might be very disappointing to those from the US who had hoped to use it as an opportunity for a rare visit to Florence. We are spending two days in Civitavecchia instead.

Edited by exlondoner

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I had an email at lunch time from our TA, saying our call at Livorno on 22 July is cancelled. I wonder if anyone, perhaps Blue Marble, would have an idea why that is. It doesn't matter to me either way, but might be very disappointing to those from the US who had hoped to use it as an opportunity for a rare visit to Florence. We are spending two days in Civitavecchia instead.

Bit of a drag. I wonder why. Is it because of Covid?  

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I'm afraid I'm unable to offer any insight into the situation. All I've been able to find is what you just mentioned from the email. Cunard is citing the typically vague "operational reasons" for canceling the call at Livorno.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm afraid I'm unable to offer any insight into the situation. All I've been able to find is what you just mentioned from the email. Cunard is citing the typically vague "operational reasons" for canceling the call at Livorno.

There was a vague suggestion some time ago that dredging was needed for QM2.

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There's a train to Florence via Pisa from Citivecchia (not Roma) - 4 hours - I'd do an overnight in Florence and return the next day 

• Like 3

excellent suggestion Lissie,  Florence is the most magical city  - so much to see and do and the nightlife is spectacular.  I vote do an overnight, you can go to Rome anyday....and its a bit sad at the moment with the fountains turned off!

Edited by roscoe39

14 hours ago, moses0 said:

If that's the case then they must have known for awhile ugh

True possibly but I had similar with a round UK last Sept when holyhead was cancelled last minute when assurances about berth repair did not materialise. 

7 hours ago, lissie said:

There's a train to Florence via Pisa from Citivecchia (not Roma) - 4 hours - I'd do an overnight in Florence and return the next day 

This really is an excellent idea, and would give the possibility of enjoying Florence earlier the second morning, when it is cooler and less crowded. And in fact the same thing applies in the other direction with a trip to Rome. As for me, I shall be indulging in a gentle wine tour, if anything.

When I last looked, Cunard had not yet posted their extra excursions, but, if they have any sense, they should offer some overnighters.

16 minutes ago, sogne said:

True possibly but I had similar with a round UK last Sept when holyhead was cancelled last minute when assurances about berth repair did not materialise. 

We also so had a similar thing with what was supposed to be a QE2 maiden call at Grundarfjordur in Iceland. They were told at very short notice that a tug, ordered months (possibly years) in advance, was not going to appear.

7 hours ago, lissie said:

That's a great idea. Florence is such a great visit and with the extra time it would be even better...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/29/one-way-to-do-florence-and-pisa/

1333787907_BaptistryofSaintJohnFlorence1.jpg.92c06667a5d23315f286cbd354670310.jpg

1217095554_PonteVecchio3TheOldBridge.jpg.6b5d57c27eefbd7e7f59ab22c27a7e58.jpg