Did you enjoy your 2022 Alaska cruise?

worldtraveller99

Thank you all - especially the fantastic photos! I know it will be worth it when we get there.

Re the ArriveCan app it wasn't me saying that, like all immigration apps, there is a side of all Governments which aims to shed employing people, and discriminates against those with poor eyesight who cannot see a whole page of text on a 2" mobile screen: The ArriveCAN app may be here to stay. But could that kill business in Windsor? | CBC News

23 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hope you are feeling much better now quack2. Otherwise, was it nice?

It's been 17 days since I tested positive.  First two days were like a moderate cold/flu with slight fever.  Since then, it's mostly been like a minor cold whose symptoms just won't go away entirely.  Just now getting taste back.

Cruise was nice, but things were different, especially in port.  Not as many excursion options.  One excursion cancelled the day before due to lack of bookings.  Weather was great in Juneau and Skagway.  Mostly overcast the rest of time.  Glacier Bay was a disappointing due to the lower cloud deck.

I booked my first aft balcony cabin at a nice price.  I probably won't due that again.  I would rather see what's coming than what we've already gone by.  But that's just me.  I can understand why people like aft cabins.  Noise was not an issue.

Internet was better than expected, though I wasn't stressing it very much.  Mostly checking email, news, sports scores, stock market, etc. 

Edited by quack2

Thank you for all your information quack2, hope your Covid completely clears up soon. 

It is sad that everywhere seems to have closed shops, restaurants, etc. But we put this off for 2 years, and it is far too late to think of putting it off again. And I think we are prepared for not great weather (and will be a relief as London is going to to be very hot for much of next week).

I’m in the car on the way home right now from my 2nd alaska cruise. First was NCL in May, 2nd was Carnival. Both were FANTASTIC!! The first was absolutely breathtaking with all the snow. The mountains, WOW. The one I just got off of we saw so much wildlife and did so much, it was truly amazing. We saw so many whales, orcas and humpbacks, seals, sea lions, porpoise,  bears, mink, eagles, bears, deer,  waterfall after waterfall after waterfall. The list just goes on and on. I can’t tell you, it’s something you have to experience. It’s beyond words. 

• Like 2

My first ever cruise was amazing

ArriveCan was simple

none of the hoops or speed bumps were a problem

If the others on the ship didn't care about giving their germs to me, I was ok with giving mine to them 🙂 haha

Though the 45 min bike ride in Vancouver in a complete downpour in 60* weather....not the best hahahaha

18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

At least I picked it up on a fabulous vacation instead of a boring old trip to the supermarket!

This is how I keep justifying it in my head. If it’s going to happen, at least it’s doing something cool. 

Our Alaska cruise was amazing and worth the wait. We had 2 cancelled the last two years. 

juneau was overcast, but the rest of the week the weather was gorgeous. Glacier Bay was incredible. Skagway and seeing the White Pass was special. 

Mountains. Whales. All the drinks and food. Easily one of our best trips yet. 

On 7/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, quack2 said:

Came back from my Alaska cruise last week with COVID.  Maybe 10% of the passengers were wearing masks on the ship.  (I was one of them).  4 vaccinations and near-constant mask-wearing wasn't enough to prevent getting COVID.

People just don't give a damn about keeping themselves and others away from the virus if it means taking reasonable precautions like wearing a mask.  Sad reflection on humanity.  But probably not surprising since cruise passengers as a whole, are the most whiny, first-world problem, travelers in the world.

Maybe the other 90% not wearing masks realize that doing so and getting 4 shots may not prevent them from Covid and therefore think it's time to resume life. You can't go out into the world and expect everybody else to be the same as you. But I'm just one of those whiny cruisers (like you) so when I go I am going to be thankful that people are actually paying hundreds of hard earned dollars to get tested. Glass half full. 

Edited by cruisings8z
  • Like 3

It was definitely more planning than a Carribbean cruise. 

ArriveCAN and testing requirements were confusing at first and changed halfway through our planning so we bought those expensive Emed tests that we didn't need. But once we figured it all out it was easy. 

I'm not big into excursions in the Caribbean but here we wanted to get it right so we splurged, and I think we ended up making good choices, including renting a car and driving but that took extra planning too. 

My youngest kid can be a challenge, but that's all that made it not relaxing. We were able to relax in between activities. Had a drink in a beer garden with local beer, and picnicked on a beach in a random town. Used the hot tub and sat in a lounge watching the scenery go by.

I'm looking forward to another one, maybe without the kids!

Thank you all so much. I've been sitting and thinking about the things I am looking forward to - whales, sea otters, First Nations museums, cocktails! to stop me thinking about the things I am not - the fact that our BA plane into Vancouver from London has been consistently from 1.5 hours to up to 5 hours late taking off every day for the past 3 weeks! But I have emailed to the nice people at Shoppers Mart Pharmacy in Vancouver and we are booked in for our pre-cruise Covid test (which I have never done before, not having a need to do so) so I guess I am ready now!

I understand your misgivings. We were on a Vancouver to Seward cruise in June. Our flight from Heathrow was excellent, possibly one of the best we had been on with BA and we had no difficulties at Heathrow. ArriveCan and US ESTA didn’t take long to do and getting a covid test done in Vancouver wasn’t too difficult. We had a lovely few days in Vancouver prior to boarding taking a floatplane flight, visiting Capillano suspension bridge, walking round Stanley Park etc.

There was a slight hitch during boarding but they kept on getting out more and more chairs and organising people in rows so that when boarding did recommence it was in an ordered fashion. The cruise itself was great. We did only independent excursions and they were all excellent, well organised and efficient.

We finished it off with a self organised land tour using the Alaska Rail Road. We enjoyed the train journeys but found the hotels extremely limited. Staff shortages meant that none provided housekeeping, restaurants were often not available and were expensive. Our luck finally ran out at the very end when my husband caught Covid and we had to delay our flights back. This marred an otherwise excellent trip. This could have happened anywhere and unless you plan to never travel anywhere ever again is always going to be a risk. Our replacement flights were stupidly expensive and we have submitted an insurance claim. My immunity from infection earlier in the year must have been sufficient to stop me catching it. He definitely didn’t catch it on board. Enjoy your trip. Alaska is beautiful, the people we met were friendly and helpful and we saw excellent wildlife.

My wife, her mother, and I cruised Eurodam roundtrip from Seattle on May 21-28, and we think it was worth it. We didn't have much choice since it had been canceled twice (2020 and 2021), and HAL wouldn't extend the FCC past 2022 that we foolishly accepted in lieu of a refund.

Weather and scenery were great. Our flight there was on time. A couple shore excursions were canceled, but we were able to find alternatives, and the ones I was most looking forward to went as planned.

Of course, this was before the summer travel meltdowns, return of mask mandates, etc. I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much now with the current state of travel. FWIW, we never masked or distanced (nor did about 90% of the passengers), and none of us got COVID (though my wife and I have both had it already, so we weren't too worried about that).

Thank you strickerj. Yes it does seem to be much worse now than earlier in the year, when we had a great trip to Dubai in March with no Government apps needed either way, or any tests (and yes masks indoors there, but people were slowly taking them down!). 

We had runny nose Covid in late April, so I sincerely trust we stay immune for the next month at least!x Will tell you if this doesn't work!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses...I go in September and yikes. Lots to plan, lots of worries, but I am beyond hopeful that things will work out. I am going on Quantum which is the one with engine issues for August so I am trying to be positive on whatever happens. I keep watching videos and reading reviews...I am ready to go!!!

We just returned from a 14-day Voyages of the Glacier cruise out of Vancouver with Princess.  We have cruised to Alaska many times.  Without a doubt this particular cruise gave us the most memorable time we have ever had:  whales, lunge feeding, orcas, otters, eagles, bears and sea lions were spotted -- LOTS of glacier calving at multiple glaciers, Hubbard small boat excursion was outstanding and we had nice weather. 

The ArriveCAN gave me a lot of anxious moments especially since I had to do two of them but the good people on the Canadian board were very patient with me and answered all my questions.  Processing lines were a little long in spots due to shortage of staff but nothing that I haven't seen in past years.  Once you are on the ship you will forget about all the pre-cruise stress.

Hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise.

I am posting from the Seattle airport as I return home from a week in the Radiance.  A few things to mention - totally stressed precruise. Flights both to Vancouver and from Anchorage had been changed a few times each. Booked excursions were cancelled, rebooked, changed many times. Arrive Canada somewhat confusing. Very tight connection in Toronto where we had to go through customs and I had been watching the chaos at that airport. With all that said it was awesome and amazing. Much easier than anticipated and so very grateful we did it. Worth every stressful minute.

FD8343DF-9B4B-46C3-996E-E2F4D47A5C72.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you Ozzie26. I keep checking our "Manage Your Booking" on BA and also Alaska Airways. One of the latter flights did get cancelled and they moved us (without telling us) to a connecting flight with 30 minutes (!) changeover time! I don't think we would have made the 2nd gate, let alone our bags. So I changed that to a flight 4 hours later (sob - we arrive at Seattle around 5 in the morning!) as there was nothing in between. 

Your photo is very relaxing, I know it will be worth it when we get there.

On 7/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, cruisings8z said:

Maybe the other 90% not wearing masks realize that doing so and getting 4 shots may not prevent them from Covid and therefore think it's time to resume life. You can't go out into the world and expect everybody else to be the same as you. But I'm just one of those whiny cruisers (like you) so when I go I am going to be thankful that people are actually paying hundreds of hard earned dollars to get tested. Glass half full. 

I think it is reasonable to expect people to take appropriate precautions to minimize the spread.  Wearing a N95 or KN95 mask is a simple, effective way to minimize the spread.  But apparently to many cruisers, asking them to wear a mask is like asking them to storm the beaches of Normandy.

• Like 3