Cell phone usage

I’m considering a cruise on Royal Caribbean. I’m going to need a phone to keep in touch with work/family. I have no idea how these things work having never traveled outside the U.S. Phone will need service both on the ship and when I’m off ship in Europe. I’m with AT&T. Can you purchase a limited time plan for that use? Would the phone work on the ship? Should I use the ships wi-fi (if they offer it)  

17 minutes ago, Pattycakes1998 said:

Would the phone work on the ship? Should I use the ships wi-fi?

Yea and yes. Set up Wi-Fi calling now and practice at home. For coverage in Europe, look at options with your carrier. 

1 hour ago, Pattycakes1998 said:

I’m considering a cruise on Royal Caribbean. I’m going to need a phone to keep in touch with work/family. I have no idea how these things work having never traveled outside the U.S. Phone will need service both on the ship and when I’m off ship in Europe. I’m with AT&T. Can you purchase a limited time plan for that use? Would the phone work on the ship? Should I use the ships wi-fi (if they offer it)  

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

AT&T has a $100 package for most Royal ships that will provide unlimited calling. It also provides a tiny amount of data, which, when exceeded, will cost your hundreds of dollars in roaming charges. Best to leave your data roaming OFF while on the ship. 

AT&T also has an International Day Pass which charges you $10/day to provide you access to your plan at home (in most countries). So, if you have an unlimited plan at home, you would have an unlimited calling and data on land (for $10/day). If the feature is enabled, the charge will be automatic when you turn your phone on when ashore. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you turn roaming off once you return to the ship since connecting to the ship's cell tower is NOT covered by the day pass. 

If you have an unlimited VOOM package (ship wifi), you can set up wifi calling on your phone with AT&T. A little less reliable. A little more susceptible to call drops. And you have to be constantly on the ship's wifi (can't share the wifi package between multiple devices). 

WiFi calling on the ship, except don't expect voice messages to come through all the time.  Most times when we returned to land and rebooted the phones all the voice messages came through.  While on board we had to call in to the VM and get them.  ATT international plan, purchase for the month, works great in Europe.  My DW traveled a lot to Europe for work and the ATT international plan worked seamlessly when she was there.  

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't need wifi calling to make calls over wifi. You can use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger to make voice calls.

Only if the person you are calling uses them, also.  

• Like 1

At&t has a day pass to cover you in other countries.  It is 10.00 per day and you can use your phone as you do at home, phone, data, text with NO limits.  

This however DOES NOT work on the ship.  I recommend a wifi package onboard and after you set sail from each port switch to airplane mode.   If you have a iPhone you will be able to use FaceTime video and calling to all of iPhones around the world.  

We just did this on our European cruise and it worked perfect. 

26 minutes ago, skyking said:

At&t has a day pass to cover you in other countries.  It is 10.00 per day and you can use your phone as you do at home, phone, data, text with NO limits.  

This however DOES NOT work on the ship.  I recommend a wifi package onboard and after you set sail from each port switch to airplane mode.   If you have a iPhone you will be able to use FaceTime video and calling to all of iPhones around the world.  

We just did this on our European cruise and it worked perfect. 

Haven't used the AT&T International day pass for a few years. I do remember it was $10.00 per 24 hour period. So I can text unlimited ? Don't need to make phone calls.

I have however used the Wifi calling onboard my last four cruises this year (a lot) to text my family that has iPhones but now one of them doesn't so it won't work to text them now...right? I guess I'll just have to email them.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't need wifi calling to make calls over wifi. You can use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger to make voice calls.

A pretty big benefit of wifi calling through your cell provider is keeping your existing phone number in service and available. 

Since OP has a work component in their requirement it usually is not practical to inform the whole company and all your customers or suppliers they will need to sign up for and install 3rd party application to reach you.  

If I told my elderly parents they had to start using Whatapp to reach me on vacation that would have been a nightmare.  

For the same reason obtaining a destination based SIM card that has a different phone number is problematic.

Everyone has my phone number.  Everyone knows how to call it.  People will see it's me calling them from my regular phone number when I place a call.  Keeping your normal phone number is a huge benefit of wifi calling through your existing cellular provider.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Pattycakes1998

I would recommend paying for Voom Internet and using "Wifi Calling" on the ship.

To use Wifi calling, you first need to enable it.  This all needs to be done while you are at home and connected to your local AT&T cell service.  First, find the Wifi calling option on your phone and turn it one.  That may go through a validation process.  Once it is on, put your phone in Airplane Mode and the turn Wifi back on and test calling from and to your phone.  If all is good, you are ready for your cruise.  

While on the ship, make sure you turn on Airplane Mode and then turn WIfi and Wifi Calling on.  You can now use your phone for calls, texts and Internet access on the ship. 

When in port, you have options.  If you pay AT&T for the $10/day International plan, you can turn airplane mode off, and use your phone in port as normal.  Just make sure you turn Airplane Mode on, Wifi and Wifi calling on when you get back on the ship.  If you don't want to pay the $10/day for the International plan, you could try leaving your phone in Airplane Mode and then join public Wifi while in port.  Of course as you move from place to place in port, you have to keep finding and joining different public wifi networks, so the $10/day International plan may be a better choice, especially if you don't have access to public wifi in port. 

The main thing is, do NOT try to use the ship's cellular service - it's expensive and unnecessary.  

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Haven't used the AT&T International day pass for a few years. I do remember it was $10.00 per 24 hour period. So I can text unlimited ? Don't need to make phone calls.

I have however used the Wifi calling onboard my last four cruises this year (a lot) to text my family that has iPhones but now one of them doesn't so it won't work to text them now...right? I guess I'll just have to email them.

The $10/day pass uses your plan at home. If you have unlimited text and data, that's what you get with the pass. If you have a limited plan, that's all you get on the international day pass. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:37 PM, BirdTravels said:

The $10/day pass uses your plan at home. 

If they still have the plan it was cheaper to add an international plan for $10 a month than a one week cruise for $10 per day.  We would add it for the month we were traveling and then remove it.  Not sure they still offer that from ATT.  We haven't been to Europe since 2019, but they had it then.  

8 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If they still have the plan it was cheaper to add an international plan for $10 a month than a one week cruise for $10 per day.  We would add it for the month we were traveling and then remove it.  Not sure they still offer that from ATT.  We haven't been to Europe since 2019, but they had it then.  

Did you take the time to verify this? As far as I know, AT&T only offers the $10/day International Day Pass for international roaming. 

Or pay per use

$2.00/minute

$0.50/text message

$1.30/picture/video message

$2.05/MB data  (so, my cruise reservation email would cost $1.25)

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Did you take the time to verify this? As far as I know, AT&T only offers the $10/day International Day Pass for international roaming. 

Looks like the price has gone up.   There's also a Cruise Talk & Text plan.    https://www.att.com/support/topic/wireless/topic_intlplans-topic_internationalpackage

On 7/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, Pattycakes1998 said:

Tell everyone you are going on vacation and will be back on X date.

Tell family you will check emails once a day (if the connection allows) and reply once a day max.

For dire emergencies give family the ships emergency contact number.

To quote Charles DeGaul "graveyards are full of people who were indispensable" you are on vacation just enjoy it. 😀😊😂