Just off the Queen Mary 2 today

penlady

Just off this sailing as well. I haven’t been aboard the Queen Mary 2 in a while (for obvious reasons), but have been on several trips with Cunard over the years, and am definitely a fan of the Cunard experience. I have no major complaints—I had a perfectly nice time onboard.

I had been warned about the chaotic embarkation by posters here. It took me a little over an hour to get through the terminal and board the ship. I was expecting worse, so this was a bit of a relief.

The most uncomfortable part of the embarkation was the line outside, as it was very warm that day, but the line moved relatively quickly. I made sure that I had ALL required documents printed and accessible—that alone made a huge difference. In my opinion, most of the problems and delays I witnessed were with people scrolling through their phones to find emailed docs, or those that arrived with little in hand, expecting staffers to deal with the paperwork.

Overall, I only had very minor complaints. Yes, the exterior spaces are in desperate need of maintenance and renovation. However, for the most part, the interior was as beautiful as ever. But that said, there are a few areas that are looking a bit dated and could use a refresh, most notably the Grills Lounge.

The service I received was fine. Obviously, there are some Covid-related staffing issues, so things run a bit more slowly and perhaps awkwardly, and new staffers are inexperienced. But this is true of literally all cruise lines right now. Further, the inevitable “supply chain issues” persist—some items are simply not available. But again, this is not unique to Cunard, but is true everywhere.

Frankly, many of the passenger “complaints” I heard related to service issues were so minor as to be laughable. I witnessed one older man throw a fit in the pub when a server didn’t arrive to take his drink order fast enough, and he was forced to walk literally 4 feet away to place an order at the bar. However, I’m sure there were some legitimate service issues, but again, I didn’t experience any.

I was concerned about the number of passengers not wearing masks, including many very elderly people. I witnessed a shop employee advise a passenger to wear a mask as he entered the small, crowded shop. He put one on, but later when exiting, he ripped it off and threw it at the young employee’s feet. (I tried to be as careful as I could—I tested when I got home, and it was thankfully negative, at least so far!)

Overall, a good trip. I guess my concerns about the Queen Mary and Cunard in general are more “higher level” issues about the direction and future of the line, but that is a discussion for another time!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, njguy_south said:

penlady, you will be supported and protected from the popcorn eaters!

I was also just on the QM2 (July 1 sailing). I have sailed Cunard before, starting with the QE2.  My specific example will be the bar service, specifically in the afternoon and at the cocktail hour. (While many may not drink or enjoy the cocktail lounges, I do.)

Yes, the crew were new to their positions. They were not the best in the trade. However, they were also not being directly supervised. Not ONCE did I see an experienced bartender or officer (yes, there is a bar officer!) standing in view and observing what was happening at the bar, as drinks were being concocted.  Anyone who has ever worked with staff know that you need a hands-on approach to training new staff.  You don't just hand them equipment and ingredients and tell them to get on with the work!

Every afternoon I and my friends would enjoy a mojito at the Carinthia Bar. The first day, the experienced bartender was creating absolutely delicious drinks, a perfect combination of mint, rum, and sugar. The second and subsequent days, they were bland and tasteless. I politely questioned the table server and was told all of the ingredients were in the cocktail.  Another taste indicated that was not true, so I went to the bar to talk with the bartender.  She was making them with vodka and not adding any sugar.  I helped her to understand that that was not how a mojito was made. SHE ARGUED with me!  (I was calm and polite.) She left the bar and returned with the bar tender from the previous day, who instructed her (politely) how to properly make a mojito. The very next day we returned for our after lunch mojito, and the second bartender was there. She again made the mojito incorrectly, with vodka and without sugar. 

To drag this discussion further, EVERY NIGHT in the Chart Room, my friend and I would order the same cocktail.  A gin martini, NO vermouth (or Churchill) and NO garnish (or Naked). The server would repeat the order and the bartender made the cocktail.  It would come back as a gin martini with vermouth -- sent back -- returned as a vodka martini with a twist of lemon -- sent back -- returned correctly.  This happened every single night!  Even the server was getting upset with the bartender.  I am seriously telling you, this happened every single night in the Chart Room.

And NEVER was the officer in charge of the bar present!

Once, when I went to the Purser's Desk to ask a question (10 people in line and only 2 agents, in the middle of the afternoon!) an officer came out of a side door. I asked her a question, and was politely told, "I am in charge of the bars, so cannot answer any of your questions," as she strolled on, not even stopping to ensure I had anything else to ask.

THAT is Cunard's current problem.  The officers -- including the office in charge -- is NOT supervising the day to day operations of the ship. They are not present to see what is lacking or what needs attention.  NO company can survive if this continues. (The only time I saw officers were either walking briskly to some task or coming into a lounge to sit with a young girl for a coffee or cocktail.)

Hi njguy from  Bklyn Boy,

Thank you for your review especially concerning the Bar Service on board the QM2.

I one of the special things passengers like to enjoy on Holiday is having a good drink or bottle wine to celebrate the sailing. Not having a drink prepared properly is certainly disappointing especially when one's acquired taste detects a wrong preparation presented to them. 

Not being extremely professional in taste, I would still detect when a drink is made in the improper ingredients.

I was wondering if those amateur BT's were changing brands to hike prices of the drinks? But certain liquors are definitely different from each other like rum and vodka. When sugar is missing is very stand outish.

One thing related to PR is a crew member / staff should not back talk to a passenger. But try to resolve the incident in a professional manner. If it can't a call to the supervisor can assist the disagreement. Thank you for keeping you COOL so well.

I really never saw too many staff at the Pursers Deck except at peak times. Two would be what I encounter. But interesting you did eventually found the staff member who took care of the Bars....

But a proper staff member would take the moment to kindly help find to right staff member to answer your question instead of let it hanging in the air sort of speak.. A walk away again, improper.

Retired from a Administrative position in a Medical Facility, I always found time to help someone at work or in the hallway to find there way. There is definitely some type of problem in "Mudville....."

Hope the QM2 resolves these problems by our Sept 2022 sailing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D.B. said:

was concerned about the number of passengers not wearing masks, including many very elderly people. I witnessed a shop employee advise a passenger to wear a mask as he entered the small, crowded shop. He put one on, but later when exiting, he ripped it off and threw it at the young employee’s feet. (I tried to be as careful as I could

@D.B. How incredibly rude! 

Here is an example of what one could see on the ship. These SLOP BUCKETS were on the floor in the Kings Court, Carinthia Lounge, and Sir Samuel's -- as well as at other eating places.  The staff member would reach in with an ungloved hand (meaning the liquid could not be very abrasive to the skin, germs, COVID) and would wipe down a table, walk back, and drop the cloth into the SLOP BUCKET.  This certainly has given COVID a helpful hand. (And here I thought they were spraying the tables with a cleaner to disinfect.)  Regardless of what was in the bucket, there they sat on the floor, where people could trip over them or spit into them ....

253777137_QM2SlopBucket2.thumb.jpg.1349e8103c113994153ff0e368514650.jpg1797664_QM2SlopBucket1.thumb.jpg.2a21b8f5eeafd96418c7aea751cee60a.jpg

Edited by njguy_south

13 minutes ago, techteach said:

@D.B. How incredibly rude! 

In days gone by I would have found find it to believe...but then sadly, having witnessed dreadful behaviour at breakfast over the shade of a couple of slices of toast, I can believe it.

Disgusting.

I look forward to the promised review.

13 minutes ago, D.B. said:

Overall, I only had very minor complaints. Yes, the exterior spaces are in desperate need of maintenance and renovation. However, for the most part, the interior was as beautiful as ever. But that said, there are a few areas that are looking a bit dated and could use a refresh, most notably the Grills Lounge.

Frankly, many of the passenger “complaints” I heard related to service issues were so minor as to be laughable. I witnessed one older man throw a fit in the pub when a server didn’t arrive to take his drink order fast enough, and he was forced to walk literally 4 feet away to place an order at the bar. However, I’m sure there were some legitimate service issues, but again, I didn’t experience any.

I was concerned about the number of passengers not wearing masks, including many very elderly people. I witnessed a shop employee advise a passenger to wear a mask as he entered the small, crowded shop. He put one on, but later when exiting, he ripped it off and threw it at the young employee’s feet. (I tried to be as careful as I could—I tested when I got home, and it was thankfully negative, at least so far!)

Overall, a good trip. I guess my concerns about the Queen Mary and Cunard in general are more “higher level” issues about the direction and future of the line, but that is a discussion for another time!

DB.... I am so happy you enjoyed your trip with the sidebar entertainment you viewed on board.

I really thought they did a big job on the QM2 when she came out of the recent visit to the yard. The outside paint job must have fooled me seeing the exterior pictures. I do know there are many sort of different type of trolley on board running through the Hallways hitting the walls and thru the rugs.

WOW the in patience on board was really noted. I know sometimes a waiter will come right away to take a order. But patience should be in order while on a 8 day trip. That drink would have tasted better arriving with angry. Have to understand the changes that are currently be experienced.

And I would have given that GUY a strange look as I have everyday to others for not considering my safety and those of the staff. Lose a staff member and the shop will run slower. The mask is meant for all the time use while in the interior. Oh well, you can't please everyone. The two incidents interestingly were Passengers.

11 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Here is an example of what one could see on the ship. These SLOP BUCKETS were on the floor in the Kings Court, Carinthia Lounge, and Sir Samuel's -- as well as at other eating places.  The staff member would reach in with an ungloved hand (meaning the liquid could not be very abrasive to the skin, germs, COVID) and would wipe down a table, walk back, and drop the cloth into the SLOP BUCKET.  This certainly has given COVID a helpful hand. (And here I thought they were spraying the tables with a cleaner to disinfect.)  Regardless of what was in the bucket, there they sat on the floor, where people could trip over them or spit into them ....

253777137_QM2SlopBucket2.thumb.jpg.1349e8103c113994153ff0e368514650.jpg1797664_QM2SlopBucket1.thumb.jpg.2a21b8f5eeafd96418c7aea751cee60a.jpg

WOW..............Good chance for a Visit to the Medical Center.

We were in the embarkation line for nearly four hours, after having arrived (as specifically instructed) at the appointed time: no earlier and no later. We waited in the sun for awhile and then as a nice change we made it into the terminal where it was just as hot but without hope for a breeze. Luckily, we were instructed to wear a mask on board but not while being crammed cheek-to-jowl with hundreds of other passengers in a badly-ventilated cruise terminal. The employees working in the terminal were, as I understand it, not strictly 'Cunard employees' but when it's your name over the check-in counter, one must think that the buck does stop with you. This was not the first horror story we'd heard about embarkation, so obviously whatever system they have being completely ineffectual was not news to Cunard. 

After finally making it through security, the large mass of people we were in was upbraided by a shrieking termagant for "going the wrong way" which was rich given that there were exactly zero signs or other guidance being provided. Someone was taking a photo of the pandemonium and this woman shoved me out of the way in order to scream at the man taking the photo, though eventually she stopped screaming at him and started screaming at another poor employee who seemed to be doing her best with the limited space and guidance she was receiving. The screamer was not the first or last to be exceptionally rude. After a few more hours of this, we got to the counter and began the check-in process. We had brought every single piece of documentation that was needed, but even then the process took about half an hour because they had to do everything manually. 

During our wait in line, we heard the following explanations/excuses from the staff:

1. "We have new employees being trained."

2. "The network signal is really bad so our system keeps failing."

3. "Our computers crashed." 

and my favorite:

4. "You people showed up too early and overwhelmed our system."

Embarkation was a total disaster. I don't know what portion of the blame Cunard is due for this, but since it seems like it's a fairly regular occurrence, it seems to me that they should be doing something about it instead of pretending that everything was going according to plan.

On board, service was impeccable in the main dining room for dinner, and the room steward was excellent. I also consistently received excellent service in the Commodore Club and the Golden Lion, where I occasionally went for drinks and to read. The same could not be said for everyone at the Carinthia Lounge or the King's Court. I couldn't find someone to take a drink order from me in the Carinthia Lounge for love nor money, and when I approached the bar to politely inquire whether I could order from them directly, I was told: "Usually people sit and wait for a server but I guess I can help." After that encounter, it took more than an hour of waiting for a waiter to approach me. It was also in the Carinthia Lounge that I was berated for not making clear that I had a drink's package applicable to what I was ordering and the woman helping me at the bar made a production out of having to refund me. I suppose the brightly colored sticker on the cruise card wasn't sufficient. 

In the King's Court, the drinks staff were consistently good, but particularly if I was visiting in the 5 o'clock hour (AM) getting someone at the food service stations to acknowledge my presence, let alone serve me, was like pulling teeth. I politely said: "Excuse me" to two men standing behind the small pastry/Danish/croissant counter and the one in the chef hat turned, made eye contact, then turned back away. The other, in a dark vest, asked Chef Hat: "Are you going to help?" and neither moved. Another day the same occurred, and I enlisted the very friendly and efficient man in the corner by the yogurt to help. He went to the counter and finally they turned around to help. Note that this was not right at the beginning of service or before; I was well within the hours of operation advertised. 

Breakfast in the main dining room was not without its troubles. They had someone particularly over-zealous at the main entrance, spraying Purell on hands as you enter. I entered with my traveling companion. We waited at the bottom of the short stairs up until the couple ahead of us went forward to halfway between the door and the podium, then I went to the top stair and my companion to the one beneath. I shifted to the side to make room for my friend and the Purell entrance guard threw his hand out across my chest and said in an extremely aggressive and accusatory tone: "You need to let them finish." - as if I was trying to overtake the couple in line, which no one could reasonably think was happening. I was literally just standing there, in the same position the couple had been in before they had proceeded about four feet ahead of me. I asked him who he meant and then asked whether I was trying to get ahead of them and the man sort of sheepishly retreated, trying to engage my companion in conversation while ignoring my question. This happened again when I was in my travelling companion's position, following two other members of my party into the dining room. The Purell door guard put his hand up to stop me and demanded to know if I was "with them". I understand the dedication to social distancing, but surely if it matters so much, I should not have a member of the staff coming closer to me than I ever got to anyone else.

The waiters were fine, but on more than one occasion we received an incorrect order and when I mentioned that I'd gotten scrambled eggs rather than poached, the waiter made it seem like it was a massive inconvenience and asked dubiously whether I wanted something else, so I didn't bother sending it back. This happened a few other times at breakfast and after the second time of being met with a stare like you'd said something insulting for politely bringing it up, we just stopped bothering. 

We, too, encountered the delays at the purser's desk which would not have been such a problem if it was only once. Unfortunately, we each had to have our key replaced multiple times on the first and last day because it stopped working in the stateroom door, so we enjoyed the wait while only one or two stations were open several times. 

Taken individually, none of these issues are really that big a deal (although some were just plain poor service) but taken together, I feel that this voyage did not really meet my expectations for "White Star" service. Always taking into account the special circumstances due to Covid-19, for me the issue was not with waiting some extra time to be served, but rather with the situations where staff were dismissive, disinterested, and in some cases just plain rude, none of which seems like the result of the pandemic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LondonCa11ing said:

Taken individually, none of these issues are really that big a deal (although some were just plain poor service) but taken together, I feel that this voyage did not really meet my expectations for "White Star" service. Always taking into account the special circumstances due to Covid-19, for me the issue was not with waiting some extra time to be served, but rather with the situations where staff were dismissive, disinterested, and in some cases just plain rude, none of which seems like the result of the pandemic.

LondonCa11ing, that reads like an honest and accurate account.  What a shame that service was so mediocre.  The crew on your ship was apparently very unhappy.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alc13 said:

LondonCa11ing, that reads like an honest and accurate account.  What a shame that service was so mediocre.  The crew on your ship was apparently very unhappy.  

Are you implying that the various more positive accounts are not honest and accurate? I don't see much myself that suggests the crew are very unhappy, more that some are un(der)trained and others not very competent, both of which are dismaying for passengers, I completely agree.

• Like 2

It just shows how it's possible to have a completely different experience depending on which parts of the ship you use and sometimes what time. Itinerary can also make a huge difference as well but these reports are all from the same trip.

My days only have one 5o'clock in them and I don't go to the Kings Court or the Lido unless we're desperate and we've missed breakfast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It just shows how it's possible to have a completely different experience depending on which parts of the ship you use and sometimes what time. Itinerary can also make a huge difference as well but these reports are all from the same trip.

My days only have one 5o'clock in them and I don't go to the Kings Court or the Lido unless we're desperate and we've missed breakfast.

I shall cherish that as a definition of desperation: driven to use the Lido. 😀😀

I have only breakfasted there once, when we were on quite an early trip in St. Petersburg, and they wouldn't do room service, and it was very busy. I actually cried. Perhaps that is the definition of a wimp: crying in the Lido.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I shall cherish that as a definition of desperation: driven to use the Lido. 😀😀

I have only breakfasted there once, when we were on quite an early trip in St. Petersburg, and they wouldn't do room service, and it was very busy. I actually cried. Perhaps that is the definition of a wimp: crying in the Lido.

Or indeed, a desperate wimp!

I'm not a brilliant sleeper and  occasionally I can be found in the Lido around 5.30/6am, sustained by coffee [cabin made] and a book if the weather is too cool to sit out on the balcony

I'd like to say 'best part of the day' but that's only  because there are hardly any fellow passengers there.

15 hours ago, LondonCa11ing said:

We were in the embarkation line for nearly four hours, after having arrived (as specifically instructed) at the appointed time: no earlier and no later.

My wife couldn't stand in line for half an hour let alone four hours.  Since her knee operations we have requested wheelchair assistance at airports and cruise terminals, although she sometimes doesn't bother with it if it seems the queues are short and moving quickly. Did you happen to notice how this assistance would be offered during this situation? 

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

My wife couldn't stand in line for half an hour let alone four hours.  Since her knee operations we have requested wheelchair assistance at airports and cruise terminals, although she sometimes doesn't bother with it if it seems the queues are short and moving quickly. Did you happen to notice how this assistance would be offered during this situation? 

Do you request this ahead of time?  Or when you arrive at the terminal?

I can’t imagine standing anywhere for 4 hours. I am rethinking our July 4th cruise in 2023 to avoid NY embarkation. I am astounded that anyone would yell at passengers. I don’t know what time people were to board, but yelling at them wasn’t going to help. @lissie pointed out that in at least one case everyone was given the same boarding time. Cunard management needs to get involved.

The descriptions of the service on this cruise seems mixed , where it should be very good, something amiss. 

However embarkation is universally acknowledged to be a nightmare.  4 hours in a queue is completely unacceptable. 

Yes Covid has caused problems,  but we are still expected to pay "full wack"

Edited by Windsurfboy

My husband and I will take our first Cunard Cruise next year.  After reading all the complaints, most of which are valid, I have decided that I must lower my expectations for the next cruise.  We continue to deal with a pandemic.  Businesses including cruise lines are dealing with chronic staff shortages.  I hope I can be patient with crew and staff.  After all, I have no idea what they are facing in their own lives.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Although we had among our party someone using a walker/wheelchair combination, we did not request assistance ahead of time, so I can only offer my observation. I don't know if wheelchair assistance was available; I didn't see anyone in a wheelchair until late in the process. There was no separate line for wheelchair users until the very end of the process (after being out in the sun and then in the terminal for about 3 hours). Once we cleared health screening, the woman directed us with a vague direction to "go over there" but the only line there was for those with World Club status or otherwise elite guests (Princess/Queens Grills). After we had been in this line for about twenty minutes (without movement) someone else brought a wheelchair guest behind us, and then another two went into a space where there wasn't a line before, to the left of the queue we were in (which had been, until that moment, the very last queue on the left). In any event, wheelchair line, World Club line, and Grills line all moved at about the same clip: not very fast. 

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

You may be on to something here, @Host Hattie! If I could have made myself sleep in I would have saved  myself the trouble 😅

• Haha 1

I have no problem sleeping in, it's getting up in time for breakfast I struggle with!

I would say you'll know for next time but I guess there probably won't be one.

QM2 won't be back in Brooklyn for a while, I wonder if the company running the terminal will have got their act together by then. It's Cunard's reputation getting trashed so you'd like to think Carnival would step in.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Are you implying that the various more positive accounts are not honest and accurate? I don't see much myself that suggests the crew are very unhappy, more that some are un(der)trained and others not very competent, both of which are dismaying for passengers, I completely agree.

No comparisons intended, and I don't question the accuracy of other reports since it's a given that people's experiences of the same cruise can be different.  As for the mental state of the crew, lack of training and/or competence can be demoralizing over time.  I hope any problems get worked out quickly, for the sake of the crew, primarily.  

• Like 1