Just off the Queen Mary 2 today

penlady

5 hours ago, High C's said:

Do you request this ahead of time?  Or when you arrive at the terminal?

We request it in advance. I understand it is available at some piers without an advance request, but the way things are now it might not be a good idea to leave it to chance.

It has been a few years since we boarded in Brooklyn and fortunately we have no bookings at present from there. We do have an arrival there in October, so we shall see how that goes.

Our last two Cunard embarkations have been in Vancouver and the assistance provided was excellent. The last time, a few weeks ago, there was no waiting at all to meet with a cheerful attendant with a chair. Vancouver's Canada Place terminal is much like an airport and assistance is needed for people who have difficulty with long walks and queues.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

We request it in advance. I understand it is available at some piers without an advance request, but the way things are now it might not be a good idea to leave it to chance.

It has been a few years since we boarded in Brooklyn and fortunately we have no bookings at present from there. We do have an arrival there in October, so we shall see how that goes.

Our last two Cunard embarkations have been in Vancouver and the assistance provided was excellent. The last time, a few weeks ago, there was no waiting at all to meet with a cheerful attendant with a chair. Vancouver's Canada Place terminal is much like an airport and assistance is needed for people who have difficulty with long walks and queues.

Thanks David.  I just emailed our TA.  I'm hoping she can make these arrangements for us.  Getting through to any cruise line via phone these days is next to impossible!

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

No comparisons intended, and I don't question the accuracy of other reports since it's a given that people's experiences of the same cruise can be different.  As for the mental state of the crew, lack of training and/or competence can be demoralizing over time.  I hope any problems get worked out quickly, for the sake of the crew, primarily.  

Having spent 40 nights on QM2 recently I did not see any demoralised crew only extremely hard working and polite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High C's said:

Thanks David.  I just emailed our TA.  I'm hoping she can make these arrangements for us.  Getting through to any cruise line via phone these days is next to impossible!

Our TA makes those arrangements. I forgot to make that request at the time of booking, but he added it by phone to our two bookings. Apparently even TAs have to wait on hold for a long period, but I'm sure he could do other work while waiting.

6 hours ago, escrick said:

My husband and I will take our first Cunard Cruise next year.  After reading all the complaints, most of which are valid, I have decided that I must lower my expectations for the next cruise.  We continue to deal with a pandemic.  Businesses including cruise lines are dealing with chronic staff shortages.  I hope I can be patient with crew and staff.  After all, I have no idea what they are facing in their own lives.

I would advise you not to be overly concerned about these comments. Boards like these can often become an “echo chamber” of negativity, and in my opinion, people are much more motivated to post critical comments rather than positive ones. And a lot can change before your sailing next year.

There is some validity to the narrative here, but everyone has their own unique experiences. It’s good to be informed, but take anything you read online with the proverbial “grain of salt.”  (And for the record, that includes the few comments I have posted here!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, we’ve all been knocked sideways by the pandemic. Cruise lines have a tremendous challenge getting crew from ‘all over the place’  and training them, and replacing veterans who have ‘bailed on sea life’,  dealing with terrified governments-esp. small islands and keeping vessels maintained-WHEW!

I’ve been on QM2 for two voyages since December, the crew were affable, willing and to my ‘old eyes’ making every effort to give good service. I can’t wait to board next month.😊

7 hours ago, D.B. said:

I would advise you not to be overly concerned about these comments. Boards like these can often become an “echo chamber” of negativity, and in my opinion, people are much more motivated to post critical comments rather than positive ones. And a lot can change before your sailing next year.

There is some validity to the narrative here, but everyone has their own unique experiences. It’s good to be informed, but take anything you read online with the proverbial “grain of salt.”  (And for the record, that includes the few comments I have posted here!)

Thanks for your advice and honesty.  I admit that I have negativity moments.  It’s human.  The first word I probably uttered was “No.” 😢

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, escrick said:

Thanks for your advice and honesty.  I admit that I have negativity moments.  It’s human.  The first word I probably uttered was “No.” 😢

I hope you're not involved in crew training. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, escrick said:

I'm the opposite, especially in times of 'strife'.

That's not to say negatives are a figment of imagination, but look for the positives and the negatives will seem [slightly] less negative.

Look for the negatives [and there will be quite a few I imagine, at the moment regarding 'travel'] and boy, will they loom large!

I think that is very true. We once stayed at a very well reviewed hotel in Norfolk. Shortly after our arrival, I was annoyed by a couple of things - the way the furniture was arranged in the bedroom, which made moving around unnecessarily difficult, and the fact they told us the wrong place for dinner, and then made it seem we were very stupid for turning up there. After that, I noticed more and more minor annoyances. Had we not started off like that, I should probably have taken everything in my stride, enjoying the good things.

I think it likely that at present, lots of people are turned off by the dire embarkation experiences,  and never recover from that bad first impression. I hope something is done about it soon, preferably before Friday. 😀

• Like 3

Speaking for myself, the embarkation nightmare certainly didn't help matters, but more of a factor in my annoyance with the service issues was the price. It's not cheap to travel with Cunard and a lot of people I know (myself included) want to go (or do go) because of the much-touted service, which is supposed to justify the cost. The service was not up to scratch and not in a way that could really be explained away by the pandemic and its after-effects.

I am usually the kind of person to live and let live; I might complain privately to my friends but to make public comments or to complain directly to the powers-that-be is out of character for me, but I got so much good advice and insight exploring this board that I felt someone else might take something from my experiences. In any event, I am still enthusiastic about this method of travel and will certainly try Cunard again, perhaps once the effects of the pandemic have lessened. It would be nice to experience a voyage "as it should be". 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, D.B. said:

We are proceeding and keeping any open mind. If something comes up we will address it.

I loved the above comments.  I have often been accused of being a “Pollyanna”.   I have enjoyed all our cruises on several different lines, in regular cabins as well as suites.  I do think that COVID has some kind of effect on our psyches.  It is good that being a cruise critic means that we can look at strengths as well as negatives.

• Like 3

As a first timer on Cunard and a first TA, I was pleased overall. 
Embarkation in Brooklyn was easy. We were to board at 1:30 pm and got there at 2:30 pm and sailed right through. You must be prepared.

Our cabin was as we expected — nice. We saw on our balcony rust spots being treated. 

Our luggage arrived quickly. 
We like room service breakfast and that was great. Our cabin steward understood our late morning departure routine.

The Veranda was the best dining. At Sir Samuels, Godiva hot chocolate is to die for. 
However, I was unimpressed with the spa. It is a bit dated and the attendants didn’t get water, towels, etc. in a timely manner. I saw one attendant using her phone in the area near the loo. She was shocked I found her like that.

I would do this again. A great part is we are in London not suffering jet lag. Wish we could cruise home back to the US and not fly next week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, penlady said:

What on earth has happened to the level of service that I knew and always received on board this ship. Stay tuned for my comments when I get time to write them. 

I am sorry to hear your recent report of service on board our favorite ship.  I sail in 2 weeks and hope for a better experience with service I have come to expect on QM2. 

Perhaps you can take a few minutes to quickly answer my question on Cunard's new dress code.  Approximately what percentage of men were no longer wearing jackets in Britannia dining room for dinner on Casual nights?  The new dress code states slacks and a dress shirt for men on casual nights in Britannia dining room; no jacket required.   For formal nights the new dress code states a jacket and tie for men.  They have a photo of a gentleman in a sports jacket, slacks, dress shirt and tie for a formal night.  They have a photo of a lady for a formal night in a short black dress.  They also show a couple in the typical formal attire we are accustomed to.  It is very confusing.  We would welcome the opportunity to include less formal wear in packing.  Where there many passengers in less formal wear on the formal evenings? 

Thank you for any light you can shed on the subject.   

We sailed the QM2 August 5-12, 2022. On formal nights there were several men in tuxedos, and women in full length gowns; there were an equal amount of men in dark suits with dress shirt and tie, and women in cocktail attire. On casual nights, we saw many men in nice slacks or dress pants, paired with button up shirts (no jacket or tie), women mostly in smart casual. 

7 hours ago, travelite said:

I am sorry to hear your recent report of service on board our favorite ship.  I sail in 2 weeks and hope for a better experience with service I have come to expect on QM2. 

Perhaps you can take a few minutes to quickly answer my question on Cunard's new dress code.  Approximately what percentage of men were no longer wearing jackets in Britannia dining room for dinner on Casual nights?  The new dress code states slacks and a dress shirt for men on casual nights in Britannia dining room; no jacket required.   For formal nights the new dress code states a jacket and tie for men.  They have a photo of a gentleman in a sports jacket, slacks, dress shirt and tie for a formal night.  They have a photo of a lady for a formal night in a short black dress.  They also show a couple in the typical formal attire we are accustomed to.  It is very confusing.  We would welcome the opportunity to include less formal wear in packing.  Where there many passengers in less formal wear on the formal evenings? 

Thank you for any light you can shed on the subject.   

Meant to quote you on my post I just made so you'd see it, in regards to dress onboard.