Do Carnival ships carry Paxlovid

chrisnatca

6 minutes ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Seeing as Paxlovid is only recommended for certain demographics, probably not. Could you get an rx from your doctor if you were concerned about access? 

The FDA has approved pharmacists to prescribe Paxlovid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The FDA has approved pharmacists to prescribe Paxlovid.

And the cruise ships have nothing in common with the FDA.  It would require paxlovid to be approved in the flag state, not the US.

• Like 5

A couple of months ago, a person on a Carnival Corporation (Princess) ship was offered a Paxlovid treatment onboard.  Here's their story:

I haven't heard of anyone else posting about receiving such an option before or after this, so take from that what you will.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I really don't see the problem with a ship having Paxlovid available for the Dr. to prescribe if they felt it was necessary.  If Pharmacists can prescribe Paxlovid then a ship's Dr. should be able to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I really don't see the problem with a ship having Paxlovid available for the Dr. to prescribe if they felt it was necessary.  If Pharmacists can prescribe Paxlovid then a ship's Dr. should be able to.  

Cost.  In the US, the government is paying for the drug.  Onboard, guests would pay.

• Like 1

I think you still have to be quarantined if testing positive and given Paxlovid.  Similar to vaccines, the drug reduces the severity of the virus but may help shorten the contagious time.  Not for everybody with COVID. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Keksie said:

Per some doctors who have worked on cruise ships, the doctors onboard are able to order about 10k of medication per month. Paxlovid would eat up the budget at $550 per pack.