Interacting as a Solo cruiser

HealthCraig

On 7/9/2022 at 2:31 AM, HealthCraig said:

I know, I know. This sounds so pathetic, but I just got off a 4 night cruise on RCI Independence. It was my first solo cruise. I want to preface by saying I had fun and would do it again. However, the longer I was on board, the more lonely I felt. Again, I know that sounds pathetic. I’m not the type of person who’s afraid to talk to strangers, but I did have a hard time trying to make conversation. It seemed everyone around me were with family and/or friends, which is what I expected. I even went to different mingling activities, all of which were duds. No one showed. So, what are some tips you all suggest to combat the weird feeling of being alone while surrounded by thousands of people? I’ve got another solo cruise coming up in a few months and now I’m nervous if this happening again. 

It doesn't sound pathetic at all. We all have insecurities and miss family and friends, so please don't berate yourself.

As for me, I love sailing solo. It's a great chance to meet people from all over the world and have fun doing it :)

Quoting from another thread:

If we don't travel, what do we do, sit at home being miserable?

That's my attitude too, plus I like sailing solo as I get to meet lots of interesting (and some not so interesting) people along the way.

My first solo meet-up was on the Allure of the Seas. I went to the straight meet-up and met good people agreeing to spend time together after dinner.

A mix up later and we were at the gay meet-up by mistake.

Long story short (I'll tell you the full story when I see you on the next ship!), the whole crowd got on so well, it was a meet-up, not either a straight or gay meet-up, it was just a group of new friends getting together for a beer or two.

On my last cruise, I got friendly with a 70 year old woman, a 22 year old man, and a 28 year old woman. I'm still in touch via WhatsApp with several people I've met over the last few years.

Coming up, I'm booked on MSC from Barcelona for Christmas and P&O from Barbados to Southampton in March 23.

Say hello, I don't bite.

Happy days!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

It doesn't sound pathetic at all. We all have insecurities and miss family and friends, so please don't berate yourself.

As for me, I love sailing solo. It's a great chance to meet people from all over the world and have fun doing it 🙂

Quoting from another thread:

If we don't travel, what do we do, sit at home being miserable?

That's my attitude too, plus I like sailing solo as I get to meet lots of interesting (and some not so interesting) people along the way.

My first solo meet-up was on the Allure of the Seas. I went to the straight meet-up and met good people agreeing to spend time together after dinner.

A mix up later and we were at the gay meet-up by mistake.

Long story short (I'll tell you the full story when I see you on the next ship!), the whole crowd got on so well, it was a meet-up, not either a straight or gay meet-up, it was just a group of new friends getting together for a beer or two.

On my last cruise, I got friendly with a 70 year old woman, a 22 year old man, and a 28 year old woman. I'm still in touch via WhatsApp with several people I've met over the last few years.

Coming up, I'm booked on MSC from Barcelona for Christmas and P&O from Barbados to Southampton in March 23.

Say hello, I don't bite.

Happy days!

See the source image

On 7/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, Lois R said:

Sounds like you had a TERRIBLE cabin attendant!!!!!! I would be speaking with Head of Housekeeping if someone yelled at me😲...........

Definitely report this cabin steward.  Unacceptable behavior.   I am shocked.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:01 PM, spleenstomper said:

This is true. I find wherever I go, the same 6am people are out and about.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, HealthCraig said:

I know, I know. This sounds so pathetic, but I just got off a 4 night cruise on RCI Independence. It was my first solo cruise. I want to preface by saying I had fun and would do it again. However, the longer I was on board, the more lonely I felt. Again, I know that sounds pathetic. I’m not the type of person who’s afraid to talk to strangers, but I did have a hard time trying to make conversation. It seemed everyone around me were with family and/or friends, which is what I expected. I even went to different mingling activities, all of which were duds. No one showed. So, what are some tips you all suggest to combat the weird feeling of being alone while surrounded by thousands of people? I’ve got another solo cruise coming up in a few months and now I’m nervous if this happening again. 

Wow.  You really had bad first experience.  I am sorry for that.  My experience has been different (also on RC ships).  I usually meet people by engaging them first. Sharing dinner tables, sitting at the bar, standing in lines and joining in ship activities all provide opportunities to meet people.  The meet and mingles haven’t been stellar, but I have met a few this way.  On port days I try to join a walking tour group and have met a lot of solo/independent travelers this way.  You could also use your particular cruise forum to organize your own stay of meet-up; such as card players, board game players, wine drinkers, book exchange people, what ever your interests are.  If you get that “weird” feeling look to the  people smiling and laughing which will probably make you smile as well.  Then remember sometimes you are your own best company.

• Like 1

As an independent traveler(I just love that), I talk to anyone and everyone. Good morning to one and all etc. I go to all the solo meet ups and like it has been said before some are hit and miss. But when they work out it is really beneficial. I have met some great people. I love solo travel and making my own schedule, dining when I want and watching the movies under the stars. It is really freeing to not have to worry about someone not having fun or them being in a bad mood and weighing you down.

• Like 2

Not pathetic!!!!  I have the opposite experience.  I will say "hi" and talk to just about anyone.  If I'm on my own I'm perfectly fine with that as well.

I find that I speak with a few solo people (and couples) the first day or at events and will constantly see them on the ship.  I have had people ask to join my table for dinner one night, then expected me to eat all meals with them every day!  I wound up having to dodge them.  😵

Sit at the bar is good advice, but speak with the bartenders!!!!!  They know who is who and what is going on.  As for the cabin steward, on my last Carnival cruise, the cabin steward came in (invited)for turn-down and I was in the room, he asked why wasn't I out, your on vacation!  Was not rude at all.  Just said I wasn't interested in events that night.  He invited me and snuck me downstairs to a crew party - it was a blast!!!!  Best service ever on that cruise since I got to meet most of the crew.

Solo cruising is about doing what you want, when you want.  I keep a vacation journal and when I feel lonely it helps to write in it as if I'm talking to friends/family about the day.  Books are good to lose yourself in also.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, MWarren3549 said:

I am really sorry you struggled.  Try NCL. They have a group just for solos. They meet every day before dinner. They get tables for all the solo diners and we get  priority seating.  Great way to  meet & greet other solos.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, SargassoPirate said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed does not care to cruise as much as I do, so I cruise solo.  I love it.  I can do what I want, when I want without a committee decision required.  Before the cruise, I load up my Kindle app with books and spend a lot of time reading in shady spots on the promenade.  

One can be alone, but not lonely and sometimes all it takes is a raised glass and a greeting to spark a conversation.  I like to grab a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up and often find the same folks out early and it's easy jusy to start with a good morning greeting.

I would hate to miss a travel opportunity because I was hesitant to go solo.  Life is too short for that.

Wonderful

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2022 at 7:55 PM, Cruisercl said:

This is good advice. I have done this and it does promote conversation.

Just to be clear, when I went to the RCL CC arranged get together, it was for sail away but not a solo only event....

NP but I was surprised that it was well planned yet that's what happened, it made me laugh actually.

I also waited for awhile, had one drink, then left. 

I found the RCL people to be a tough crowd, JMHO. 😛

Yes, I am stereotyping...lol.

Well, based on several comments, looks like I won't ever sail on RCL. Think I'll stick to NCL or Celebrity.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:03 PM, kelib said:

I get on the CC roll call and other conversations for my specific cruise.

Introduce yourself to others on the page as traveling solo and if anyone is interested in meeting up for sharing meals. 
Also if you are around any trivia/group games ask if you can join a team.

NCL is usually the best, especially on their Breakaway class ships since they have scheduled meet ups for solos. 

I was under the impression that the scheduled meet ups for solos were only for those booked in the Studio cabins. I am booked in a balcony, but I'm not aware of any meet ups geared towards solos. If you know of any on this cruise, please share the information. The only reason I'm booked in a balcony, is that I'm too claustrophobic to stay in a 99 sq. ft. cabin. Otherwise I would book a studio for access to the Studio lounge. I would love to meet other people cruising solo!

On 8/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, SargassoPirate said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed does not care to cruise as much as I do, so I cruise solo.  I love it.  I can do what I want, when I want without a committee decision required.  Before the cruise, I load up my Kindle app with books and spend a lot of time reading in shady spots on the promenade.  

One can be alone, but not lonely and sometimes all it takes is a raised glass and a greeting to spark a conversation.  I like to grab a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up and often find the same folks out early and it's easy jusy to start with a good morning greeting.

I would hate to miss a travel opportunity because I was hesitant to go solo.  Life is too short for that.

Hear, hear! I heartily agree about that. I have no single friends to cruise with, so I cruise alone. Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the - ahem - horns, in order to get over that first hurdle. Bite the bullet, so to speak. This will be my fourth cruise, each of which has been solo, my second with NCL. The only one I did not enjoy was MSC; can't really say why. No reason to say home simply because you have no travel partner.  I really prefer not to share a cabin anyway, LOL!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rspencley said:

I was under the impression that the scheduled meet ups for solos were only for those booked in the Studio cabins. I am booked in a balcony, but I'm not aware of any meet ups geared towards solos. If you know of any on this cruise, please share the information. The only reason I'm booked in a balcony, is that I'm too claustrophobic to stay in a 99 sq. ft. cabin. Otherwise I would book a studio for access to the Studio lounge. I would love to meet other people cruising solo!

AFAIK There are solo meet-ups scheduled on all the NCL ships, even on the ships with studio cabins they often schedule the daily meet-ups at a public venue so solos who aren’t in a studio cabin can attend. I’ve only been on the ships with studio cabins so far and the first meet-up on embarkation day was always scheduled for a public venue with the host often bringing the entire group to the studio lounge. There is often also a sign-up sheet at guest services on embarkation to register yourself as a solo so the coordinator knows if you’re outside the studio complex. On one cruise our coordinator sent everyone on that list chocolate covered strawberries. 

On some ships the coordinator is/was allowed to wedge open a door into the studio lounge for the daily meet-up but not always. If they’re not allowed to make the studio lounge accessible then the meet-up will be at a public venue. One one cruise I did they held it at the Sugarcane mojito bar every day. 

From what I’ve seen in the dailies from the smaller NCL ships the solos meet-up was listed  though it did sometimes disappear later in the week (presumably due to lack of interest). 

2 hours ago, jbinpa said:

Are there solo cruiser meet-ups on Royal Caribbean or other cruise lines beside Norwegian? Are they organized by the ship staff or privately (such as by folks in this community)?

I've found that most cruise lines organize a date and time for solo travelers which is published in the newsletter.  Some have multiple gatherings on different days throughout a cruise.  They're rarely staffed with cruise line personnel.

17 hours ago, jbinpa said:

Are there solo cruiser meet-ups on Royal Caribbean or other cruise lines beside Norwegian? Are they organized by the ship staff or privately (such as by folks in this community)?

I'm just back from an MSC cruise

Their solo meet-up was one day and that was it

For passengers joining in Naples, you embarked too late for the meetup, and for those boarding elsewhere, you had to wait until Naples - 4 days in my case

MSC need to up their game for solos, it doesn't take much, just a note in the daily calendar would do

Go to the solo cruiser meets at least once! I've done it with NCL (the ones where there are no studio cabins!) and had good times with people that I met there. I'm in my 30s and found the ones in the NCL solo cruiser meets are typically late 20s-early 50s and social. I thought most of the people would be kind of socially awkward (like I am!) but didn't find any of them were like that. It was typically just people who prefer traveling solo for whatever reason or their schedules didn't align with anyone elses. 

I did go on a Princess Cruise solo meet and only did it once. I was the youngest one and found most of the people were my parents' age or older (nothing wrong with that!). It was kind of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for me because they all spoke about the same thing over and over again related to their families or being widowed or divorce. 

For the most part dining aside, I don't feel that uncomfortable however at  times it can  feel lonely as I could go days without actually interacting with someone other than someone working on the ship. Drinking has helped me get over that. 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, HealthCraig said:

I think it was because you went on a short 4 night cruise.  Cruises with few nights cost less and tend to attract families, bachelor parties, etc. These people come to party, they will say hello to you but they have their social group established before they board the ship.  Cruises with longer itineraries cost more which means they attract a demographic that has resources and this demographic generally attracts older people (not always but as a rule yes) and a longer cruise will also attract people who have more vacation time.  A longer cruise like 9 nights or longer will have more solo travelers on board.  The exception will be Norwegian Cruise Line which has the solo cabins and solo cruise group.  The solo cabins are not on all Norwegian ships so do your homework and make sure you are on a ship that has solo cabins.  (These cruises tend to be 7 nights).  Norwegian has a staff member assigned to the solo group who coordinates the meet ups and makes sure the solos eat dinner together.       

On 7/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, HealthCraig said:

So, what are some tips you all suggest to combat the weird feeling of being alone while surrounded by thousands of people?

Then learn how to not be afraid or feel weird about being alone.  It can be a paradigm shift, but I think it's important to learn to be comfortable enough with yourself so that you're not always looking for other people to talk/walk/eat with. 

You'll probably find that easiest if you engage in something that will make you look busy, so you won't feel as if people will see you as "wandering alone" or "sitting alone".....When I started, I used photography.  I thought that no one would question why a woman was out photographing things by herself, and that made me feel less obvious about being alone.  Eventually, I realized that they probably didn't care that I was alone, and so using my photography as a blind was unnecessary (though I still take a lot of photographs).  I came to realize that people didn't look at me askance if I was doing something alone, and in some cases, they even envied it.  I was on a cruise once when a woman came up to me and asked if I was on the cruise by myself:  "Are you on this cruise alone?  I wish I was!".....I realized that not everyone around with other people are happy being with those other people.

• Like 4