Ship time changing during cruise

On 7/13/2022 at 9:25 AM, Homosassa said:

Carnival appears to be the only line that does not trust its passengers to  understand and follow changes in time zones.

All the many other lines I have cruised change the time on board to meet the time in the port of call (Caribbean included).

That seems to make the most sense too so everyone is on the same page in port.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:21 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Recently took a 7 nt out of Long Beach where we had two changes in ship time. One "spring forward" and one "fall back".  

Has anyone experienced that on Caribbean cruise? 

I dont remember ship time ever changing for us previously but perhaps im forgetful.  

If it does you will be notified many different ways. You always set you time to the ships time. Not to worry.

• Like 1

The good news is that cruise ships are adept at keeping you in sync. In addition to posting the current time conspicuously at the gangway when you depart the ship in a port of call, announcements are made before time changes, notices are posted in the daily bulletin and perhaps even a gentle reminder note will be placed on your bed -- all designed to give you the freedom to enjoy as much cruise ship time as you can.

• Like 1

The Caribbean would get particularly confusing if ships changed to local time at each port of call. Even though time zones are fairly straightforward, the waters get a bit muddied when it comes to daylight saving time. Most Caribbean cruise ports do not set clocks forward in the spring and back in the fall, but a few do. Because of that, some Caribbean itineraries would cause passengers to reset their watches back and forth several times during a short cruise. Many ships in the Caribbean simply advise passengers to stay on cruise ship time when going ashore. That is not usually the case elsewhere around the globe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

The good news is that cruise ships are adept at keeping you in sync. In addition to posting the current time conspicuously at the gangway when you depart the ship in a port of call, announcements are made before time changes, notices are posted in the daily bulletin and perhaps even a gentle reminder note will be placed on your bed -- all designed to give you the freedom to enjoy as much cruise ship time as you can.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The Caribbean would get particularly confusing if ships changed to local time at each port of call. Even though time zones are fairly straightforward, the waters get a bit muddied when it comes to daylight saving time. Most Caribbean cruise ports do not set clocks forward in the spring and back in the fall, but a few do. Because of that, some Caribbean itineraries would cause passengers to reset their watches back and forth several times during a short cruise. Many ships in the Caribbean simply advise passengers to stay on cruise ship time when going ashore. That is not usually the case elsewhere around the globe.

These quotes are from the same source - Cruise Critic.

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Not true for lines other than Carnival. Times can change multiple times on a cruise and does not cause a problem for the (sober) passengers.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Not true for lines other than Carnival. Times can change multiple times on a cruise and does not cause a problem for the (sober) passengers.

I agree. I posted the link to where the quotes came from, and it was the same source. I do question their knowledge.

Hopefully the people operating the shore excursions have a better idea of ship time (and they do).

On 7/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, TheSeagoer said:

Why would you do that? You need to know the local time

You don't necessarily need to know local time, ship time is what's most important when on a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

You don't necessarily need to know local time, ship time is what's most important when on a cruise.

What?  Everything is based on local times. Arrivals and departures. Excursions. That’s why the ship advises you when to change time to local time. My word

22 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

What?  Everything is based on local times. Arrivals and departures. Excursions. That’s why the ship advises you when to change time to local time. My word

The times listed on the funtimes (when it still existed) or app are all ship time, not local time.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 3:11 PM, TheSeagoer said:

Every cruise i have been on they announce " we run on ship time, NOT local time, so turn off auto update on your phone or you will miss the ship!!!" That said i travel Carnival and in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chadvarner85 said:

Every cruise i have been on they announce " we run on ship time, NOT local time, so turn off auto update on your phone or you will miss the ship!!!" That said i travel Carnival and in the Caribbean. 

Hahaha.  The ship goes to local time. When you get off in port, the clock as you leave is the same on your phone and matches the itinerary.  That’s why they always remind you to adjust your watch

1 hour ago, TheSeagoer said:

Hahaha.  The ship goes to local time. When you get off in port, the clock as you leave is the same on your phone and matches the itinerary.  That’s why they always remind you to adjust your watch

Don't led into a false sense of security on your phone clock. It automatically adjusts to local time....which is more times than not, SHIPS time. I'd hate for people to miss the ship because of the phone time. Just my opinion.  :classic_wink:

On 7/18/2022 at 9:15 PM, Joe817 said:

Don't led into a false sense of security on your phone clock. It automatically adjusts to local time....which is more times than not, SHIPS time. I'd hate for people to miss the ship because of the phone time. Just my opinion.  :classic_wink:

So how do you get 4000 people on time with two different times? When the ship docks, look at the ships clock, your clock and the intineray and they are all the same time. If the the ships clock says 8 pm, you are scheduled to leave port at six, that means the ship would leave at four PM. It's not that hard

I don't believe your phone will adjust to local time if it's in airplane mode. At least it didn't for me when I was in the Southern Caribbean (local time was Atlantic Standard, ship's time was Eastern Standard).

23 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

So how do you get 4000 people on time with two different times? When the ship docks, look at the ships clock, your clock and the intineray and they are all the same time. If the the ships clock says 8 pm, you are scheduled to leave port at six, that means the ship would leave at four PM. It's not that hard

Set your watch to ship's time and don't worry about it.

• Like 1