RCL vs NCL?

12 hours ago, Tatka said:

Was this pool added recently? In 2014 it was not there.

It was refurbished in 2020, so I'm going to say yes.

Even an avid NCL cheerleader will tell you that the pools suck on their ships. That is nothing new.

If covered pools (or pools in general), are your thing, then it's no surprise you don't like NCL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

Long time NCL cruiser here.  Boarding the Anthem (first time on RCCL) in the morning and I am really looking forward to coming back to this thread and giving my thoughts.

I sailed Anthem before sailing on any NCL ship.  That ship has some great venues (TWO70, the 2-deck concert/club space, the Solarium WAS nice).  That ship was chosen by the only family member that has kids and the rest of us were invited along, at our own expense.

I'd consider that ship again, but I prefer NCL's handling/treatment of solo cruisers if I'm going to sail on my own.

Edited by hallux

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

I sailed Anthem before sailing on any NCL ship.  That ship has some great venues (TWO70, the 2-deck concert/club space, the Solarium WAS nice).  That ship was chosen by the only family member that has kids and the rest of us were invited along, at our own expense.

I'd consider that ship again, but I prefer NCL's handling/treatment of solo cruisers if I'm going to sail on my own.

NCL has tiny cabins for solo cruisers, but a shared "living room"  Some singles enjoy that.  But IMO Royal has so much more to offer I would choose that line.  The Horrible pool crowding on NCL is very bad unless you are in the Haven on a newer ship.  But everyone has their priorities.  Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

NCL has tiny cabins for solo cruisers, but a shared "living room"  Some singles enjoy that

Royal's solo cabins (specifically on the Anthem) are a nearly identical size, larger by 2 sq. feet for the inside solo cabins - 101 sq ft. compared to NCL's 99 sq. ft.  I've stayed in both.  Honestly - for a place to shower, dress and sleep either one is PERFECT.  There were times (most of the week) on my last NCL cruise that I didn't get back to my cabin until after midnight.  There was always PLENTY to do, rarely was I thinking "well, I'd go back to my cabin but all I can really do is lay on the bed".  NCL's ships with them also have a LOT more - 86 of them on each of at least 3 of the ships - so it's a LOT easier to book one.  Anthem has 16 inside Studio and 6 balcony studio (ok, that would be nice, but you have to book EARLY and they're NOT cheap!)

That shared "living room" space is actually really nice, with snacks and drinks, people to chat with and a comfortable place to sit.  At one point, during the ship-organized solo meet (Royal doesn't do that, WITH a dedicated staff member organizing activities for those interested) we had over 30 people in there.

So, yes, while Royal may have some other things to offer on their ships (sorry, I'm not a surf simulator guy and they won't let me in the skydiving simulator so there isn't THAT much different to be offered) NCL's solo program keeps drawing me there.  That program might be really important on my next trip - I'm looking at a 15-day Panama Canal transit.

• Like 2

Sailed both. I think they are pretty comparable but between the 2 I typically choose Royal. NCL I admittedly have only chosen because of of a specific itinerary I wanted. I always read ship reviews before booking so I know any perceived “problem areas” going in. To me a cruise is what you make of it so I have loved every one that I have been on.

• Like 2

We sailed on Anthem 9 times now. I hated her first time. I is one of my favorite ships now.

It has some flows.. like its Esplanade is not as  spacious as Promenades of previous and later ships of different classes. Once you figure out what times to avoid I think you will be fine. Also RCI improved crowd handling since 2016.

• Like 1

The mainstream cruise lines are generally more alike than different, so we used to sail primarily for itinerary and cost.  However, we will use caution with booking with NCL in the future because:

1.  They are changing itineraries for non emergency reasons and not informing passengers.  

On my cruise, The dominican republic port was canceled and the morning of another port were cancelled after final payment to help protect the environment.  After the cancellations, NCL continued to market and sell this cruise with the original itinerary for an entire month until the ship sailed.  They refused to let anyone switch to a different sailing, even passengers who purchased their cruise directly from NCL after the DR was cancelled and weren't informed of those changes.  

Itinerary problems were also reported on Panama Canal cruises (an overnight in Panama switched to late night visit too late to actually see the locks in action and the ports of Costa Rica and Nicaragua cancelled due to safety reasons being replaced by Acapulco and Jamaica).  The spirit in Alaska lost the inside passage.  On none of these cruises were passengers allowed to reschedule, since all itinerary changes were made after final payment.

NCL just cancelled a port stop for the rest of the season (Valdez) and people found out about the change from rumors on cruise critic, and the confirmation was issued by a press release from the town of Valdez before anyone was informed by NCL.  

2. In May, there was an issue with paying taxes on alcohol in the UK so NCL stopped serving alcohol even to passengers who had already paid for a drink package while in port and UK waters which was a problem on UK cruises.  They initially refused to refund the money paid for the alcohol package,  but after an outcry relented and refunded the fees.  They told passengers this was due to a change in UK laws, but it didn't affect passengers on any other lines.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

The mainstream cruise lines are generally more alike than different, so we used to sail primarily for itinerary and cost.  However, we will use caution with booking with NCL in the future because:

1.  They are changing itineraries for non emergency reasons and not informing passengers.  

On my cruise, The dominican republic port was canceled and the morning of another port were cancelled after final payment to help protect the environment.  After the cancellations, NCL continued to market and sell this cruise with the original itinerary for an entire month until the ship sailed.  They refused to let anyone switch to a different sailing, even passengers who purchased their cruise directly from NCL after the DR was cancelled and weren't informed of those changes.  

Itinerary problems were also reported on Panama Canal cruises (an overnight in Panama switched to late night visit too late to actually see the locks in action and the ports of Costa Rica and Nicaragua cancelled due to safety reasons being replaced by Acapulco and Jamaica).  The spirit in Alaska lost the inside passage.  On none of these cruises were passengers allowed to reschedule, since all itinerary changes were made after final payment.

NCL just cancelled a port stop for the rest of the season (Valdez) and people found out about the change from rumors on cruise critic, and the confirmation was issued by a press release from the town of Valdez before anyone was informed by NCL.  

2. In May, there was an issue with paying taxes on alcohol in the UK so NCL stopped serving alcohol even to passengers who had already paid for a drink package while in port and UK waters which was a problem on UK cruises.  They initially refused to refund the money paid for the alcohol package,  but after an outcry relented and refunded the fees.  They told passengers this was due to a change in UK laws, but it didn't affect passengers on any other lines.

They also have cancelled some production shows and are planning to cut more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I had heard of the tax issue for NCL, namely it is less of a restriction and more a unwillingness to to pay.  Though I, honestly do not know And NCL really isn’t talking.  Though I have heard the issue is resolved.

in regards to changing or dropping ports….Royal changed ports ports on us ….we were notified less than 24hrs prior to embarkation.  I don’t really think NCL is the only cruise line doing that for non-emergent reasons.  Royal told us it is a port crowding issue (sounds more like a lack of planning issue).

We are 24hrs into our first Royal cruise, so not quite ready to offer an opinion regarding which is better, but I am sure I will before disembarkation. 

I find NCL and RCL to be very similar. I choose by itinerary, ship and price. I think I prefer NCL's vibe just a little more, but I'm taking my first cruise on Oasis out of NJ in October so that might change. I'm Diamond on RCL which saves me a lot of money on drinks so that is a big factor lately. Yes NCL has the drinks included on most fares but the pricing with that included gets pretty high.

• Like 1