RCL vs NCL?

On 7/10/2022 at 11:46 AM, Bxc53 said:

We have cruised on several of the mainstream cruise lines ( list in the sig), but never NCL. Hoping to hear from folks that have cruised on both for pros and cons, etc. I know this is the RCL forum, I’m asking the same Question at the NCL board as well, should be interesting to compare..

Thanks for any input.

Sorry, looks like I’m late to reply to this.  We’ve done both in the past as we do a lot of cruises out of NYC area.  Here’s my take.  Just my opinion and YMMV.

Ships: Royal hands down.  Much more spacious and more things to do.  I find NCL to be more closed it.  Their ship within a ship (haven) concept doesn’t appeal to me, I think it ruins the rest of the ship.

Entertainment: Close but edge to Royal.  Water shows and Ice shows to me give Royal edge. 

Staff: slight edge to NCL, their staff I’ve always found to be incredibly approachable 

Food: in MDR and buffet slight edge NCL in specialty edge to Royal.

Cabins: edge Royal 

Itineraries:  NCL, more options 

Oversll: Royal

Again YMMV

• Like 2

Personally i think its down to the ship you are thinking about. All cruise companies have good and bad points. All ships are different so for me i always decide 

Where i want to visit

What is on the ship for us as a family to do

Royal, love Oasis and freedom class

Hate Quantum and what ever class brilliance is. ( Apart from briliance outside buffet seating at the back)

NCL, only been on Epic but i thought the entertainment was way better then Royal. The rest was on par really. Except the sofa bed, kind curved, very weird lol. 

So i would look at where you want to go and what facilities you want on board.

Having sailed on both- royal often, we definately prefer Royal .  If you aren't in the Haven on NCL- very crowded, ship pools too small, not enough seating, poor layout- food meh- I highly recommend Oasis class  on Royal.  We didn't love the quantum class, Freedom class was also good- Older Royal ships also not great. Anxious to try the Icon next year.  

We also love the celebrity ships, solstice class and edge class.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Wouldnt Perfect Day and Labadee give RCL the edge there? 

That depends on what you want from the private island.  Want a waterpark with paid-for attractions that also has a beach?  RCL gets the edge.  Want a beach escape that has a couple attractions?  NCL gets it.  I was on GSC this Spring, it's a beautiful island with LOTS of beach space, a good-size food pavilion and a couple zip-lines.

11 hours ago, hallux said:

That depends on what you want from the private island.  Want a waterpark with paid-for attractions that also has a beach?  RCL gets the edge.  Want a beach escape that has a couple attractions?  NCL gets it.  I was on GSC this Spring, it's a beautiful island with LOTS of beach space, a good-size food pavilion and a couple zip-lines.

Yes, but you still have to tender for GSC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Yes, but you still have to tender for GSC.

An issue for some, sure.  I'm 1/1 getting there and I don't mind tendering, it's actually kind of fun and it blows non-cruiser's minds when you tell them you get off that big ship in the middle of the ocean and use a smaller boat to get to the beach.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:46 AM, Bxc53 said:

We have cruised on several of the mainstream cruise lines ( list in the sig), but never NCL. Hoping to hear from folks that have cruised on both for pros and cons, etc. I know this is the RCL forum, I’m asking the same Question at the NCL board as well, should be interesting to compare..

Thanks for any input.

We sail on both NCL and RCCL multiple times a year. We prefer NCL. NCL continues to innovate and evolve the cruise experience. A lot of people complain because they do not like or appreciate change. (As a manager, I have taken all of the change management classes on how to keep people happy when you change their environment). The Icon is Royals’s first venture into true contemporary cruising. E.g., NCL doesn’t do fixed dining or formal nights. Royal is still stuck in the 80’s. 

Our family primarily cruises on RCL, although we've had 3 NCL cruises including on the Breakaway.  Cost was slightly lower on NCL.  One thing I dislike about NCL was that some events, like exercise classes, are held in the main lobby instead of in a theatre or other venue.  The noise carried all through the ship.  On an Alaskan cruise a few years ago, the ship also felt extremely crowded esp. when weather didn't cooperate.  The theatre and the shows were underwhelming.  When comparison shopping, take a look at the ports you want to see.  On our Alaskan cruise, NCL was in port for less time than other cruiselines.  RCL is my favorite due to the wide variety of things-to-do on its larger ships.   I do suggest also looking at HAL, however.  I tried HAL for the first time about 3 years ago and was very pleasantly surprised.  HAL felt more traditional and the ships were smaller, but everything was very comfortable.  I had a great price on a suite guarantee, and loved HAL's suite lounge amenities.  My Celebrity cruise felt stuffy and a little too pretentious.  Finally, I've also have been on about a dozen Carnival cruises.  It was great for families, and our kids loved Carnival's kids programs.  Crazily, I actually liked Carnival's food the best.  My tip is to try them all to figure out which cruiseline you like the best!!! 

Edited by Truluv

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We sail on both NCL and RCCL multiple times a year. We prefer NCL. NCL continues to innovate and evolve the cruise experience. A lot of people complain because they do not like or appreciate change. (As a manager, I have taken all of the change management classes on how to keep people happy when you change their environment). The Icon is Royals’s first venture into true contemporary cruising. E.g., NCL doesn’t do fixed dining or formal nights. Royal is still stuck in the 80’s. 

Have you ever cruised with 20-somethings?  I have posted on the NCL and RCL Boards asking for opinions comparing NCL Joy vs RCL Symphony of the seas for a 10/9 day cruise in Aun 2024.  Since you stated you like NCL more above... any thoughts?

We cruise a good bit with NCL. Stay in a Haven suite.  Last cruise we did was on Escape in an aft-facing penthouse and the one before that on Harmony in a Star class 2BR Aqua theater suite.  

Both are an excellent way to go! I'll hit a few points:

1. Boarding the ship- getting aboard via Star class beats anything.  Amazingly quick and easy.

2. The Star class Genie making ALL reservations is simplification personified.  

3. Cabin stocked with basically any drink you desire with Star class. Haven suite really doesn't have this option. Can get unopened beers at bars(I used Haven bar) and bring back to cabin for later. Did same thing with sodas.

4, Cabin- not sure a 2BR aqua theater suite isn't the ultimate cabin. The Haven suite was more elaborate but the vastness of the ATS needs to be experienced to believe.

5 Restaurants- We liked Coastal Kitchen better than the Haven restaurant.  Coast Kitchen is more relaxed and the staff friendlier and more engaging. Haven restaurant has a more formal feel. Both excellent. Speciality dining probably NCL was better in practically everything that matters.

6. Windjammer vs Garden Cafe- No doubt in my mind the Garden Cafe was better in every area. Food quality and variety if you can believe it was much better.

6. The Escape was nice but I'm not sure anything is going to beat an Oasis-class ship.

7. Entertainment- you know the answer.

8. Getting on/off at ports- NCL...Go to the Haven...concierge takes you to Haven elevator and down you go.  Scan your keycard and off you go. Getting back on ship- look for someone holding a Haven sign. Bypass the complete like waiting to get back on and thru security and then the Haven elevator. Wow...I had forgotten how nice this was.

9. Haven area as a whole...very nice. I'd put it ahead of Oasis/Harmony suite areas.

And YES I'd go on either again.  Itinerary would probably be the deciding factor.  Next cruise is aboard Jewel in a GS...itinerary ruled.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:09 AM, aubreyc1988 said:

I am basing my experience on my last RCI cruise in 2018 so take that how you want to. I'll compare Oasis class ships to the Breakaway+class. 

-Oasis class better entertainment

=Breakaway+ class has a LOT of smaller things always going on, and has better/unique game shows/trivia..and I will say their Elements show was one of the best I have ever seen in a production Theatre, even compared to some of Royal Caribbean's shows. 

-Breakaway+class has better connection to the sea: Waterfront, Observation Deck, outdoor dining at specialty restaurants on the waterfront, etc

-Oasis class IS much bigger overall and has a solarium, but solarium is enclosed.

-Breakaway class can have crowding by the pool deck, this can be solved by going to Spice H20 adults only area if the ship has it or going to the waterfront

-Oasis class has a very bad "pod" setup of the buffet that really makes no sense to me and didn't have much nighttime eating options (at the time I sailed)

-Breakaway class has a more traditional line buffet style, with a repeat buffet line to handle crowds and also has a small buffet in the Observation lounge, and also has a 24 hr sit down restaurant (O'Sheehans or the Local)

-Oasis class had just OK specialty dining package

-Breakaway+ has similar specialty but you get more selections in the specialty dining and they had some really unique places to eat, like Food Republic/Q

-This next one may not mean anything to you, but NCL pre pandemic shutdown (And once pre-omicron) put on AMAZING meet and mingles. The officers show up and they actually care to listen and give you their cards (Which I have used to rectify problems before) MANY people on CC show up, and there is usually catered food and free drinks, it is SUCH a fun time. Same with the past guest events, always a blast. On Royal, the meetups were fine but sort of snooze fests. 

These are just some of the things I thought of. I will be sailing RCI this year and hope to update some of my opinions since it has been a while

Since this post in 2022, I have sailed with Royal 5x (Liberty, Allure, Freedom, Symphony, Harmony) 

Most of what I have said remains true.

-I would add to my original comparison that Royal Caribbean trains their bartenders poorly. I have had some of the WORST made drinks on Royal. Not only do they not taste good, but sometimes the bartenders short pour so they can be pretty weak.  Drinks are not consistent in taste, it's like they do not all know the proper recipe OR are not following it. Also, the bartenders are not nearly as friendly as NCL's and some of them seem downright miserable, which is unfortunate. At first I thought this was a fluke or ship specific (I had the drink package on Liberty and have since made Diamond, so I have had most of the drinks on the menus), but I have experienced this on all 5 recent sailings on different ships/itineraries - so imho, has to be the training. 

-I also had the 3 meal Specialty Dining on Liberty and did Chops, Giovanni's and Sabor. They really PALE in comparison to what NCL offered me at specialty restaurants that are similar. 

-The buffet is also blah compared to NCL, but I haven't sailed on NCL since 2022 so I do not know if maybe the food has also taken a nose dive on there. Not only is the selection poor, but I really hate the layout and it seems like a VERY small space, even on Oasis class ships, compared to buffets on NCL. 

-Still really miss something like O'Sheehan's or the Local on Royal. They have Sorrentos/Park Cafe/Promenade Cafe/El Loco Fresh, but these options just are not the same and are pretty limited in the menu. Playmakers/Johnny Rockets is the most similar to The Local/O'Sheehans, but they charge for these two venues. 

-The Quest is back on Royal but it's very much tamed down and seemed a little repetitive across the sailings I did. Must be using the same layout for almost every ship. An average cruiser wouldn't notice this, but someone who cruises a lot, especially on Royal will

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

The only reason we sail NCL is the itinerary.  Sapphire rewards are good, specialty restaurants, free laundry and some WiFi.   We are booked to sail from Taiwan, making 4 stops in the Philippines and then on to Malaysia, ending in Singapore for 12 days.  Royal has nothing like it, but generally has better entertainment, food about the same, and I have met better, friendlier people on RCI. 

• Like 2

We sailed the NCL Getaway about a year and a half ago.  Had a great time.  There were better and worse things with NCL (based on our tastes).

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED O'Sheehans on NCL.  Full service, 24 hour restaurant, and complimentary.  Good solid pub fare.  I so wish Royal had something like this.  Playmakers is a big step forward for Royal, but they aren't on all ships.  I get so tired of pizza and finger sandwiches on Royal for a later night snack.  Plus, on the Anthem in March the quality of the sandwiches was terrible.  Very few proteins in the sandwiches, guessing from the cost cutting.  Used to love the Roast Beef, Turkey, Salmon, etc..

The drink package was very nice to have included with NCL (even though you still prepay tips on it).  It still came out far less than what Royal charges.  YMMV though.  NCL's prices seem to have gone up substantially and it's harder for me to find a good deal with them anymore.

On the same note, we also had a complimentary specialty dining meal on NCL.  We did the French Bistro and it was an amazing meal on Christmas Eve.  Loved it.

Royal Caribbean has better food in the MDR and buffet.  No question.  However, it wasn't like we disliked what we ate, but it was a step down for sure.

Pool deck.  As mentioned by previous posters, I can truthfully say is it terrible on NCL.  It's industrial, and cramped, very cramped.  Just not appealing, at all.  The kids area and the exclusive Haven area take up far too much room, leaving a crappy small area for the rest of the cruisers.

Entertainment in the main theater, at least on our cruise, was on par with Royal.

Didn't care for the ship layout on NCL.  They have "Centrums".  This allows for more, smaller venues in the ship, but also leaves it feeling chopped up.  We much prefer the Promenades and Esplanades on Royal.

I would sail NCL again, but it would have to be for the right price, timing, and itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, coaster said:

I know for a fact that NCL does not offer traditional dining to this day. No free lobster in the MDR also. Seeing bloggers on NCL recently and they show the same menu everyday in MDR on NCL.  Admit I have not been on NCL for over 20 years, but the MDR menu could be where I am wrong as I am basing it on people I don't know blogging about it on YouTube.

NCL was testing having the same menu every night on the new NCL Prima only.  The theory was the being able to concentrate on the same items, the quality would go up.  Most cruisers have said that the quality was better but they got bored of the menu.  NCL has gone back to the rotating menu on the Prima.  

Maybe it's just me, but I'd sail either NCL or RCCL with no hesitation.  The differences are  more to one's preferences and likes than anything else.  Just reading this thread, there are some who say X, others that say Y.  They're both right, for what they prefer and are looking for.

We sail mostly on NCL, but have been doing Royal lately.  Next one up is Celebrity, first time.  We sail itinerary first, all the other stuff is a distant second 🙂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mpk said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd sail either NCL or RCCL with no hesitation.  The differences are  more to one's preferences and likes than anything else.  Just reading this thread, there are some who say X, others that say Y.  They're both right, for what they prefer and are looking for.

We sail mostly on NCL, but have been doing Royal lately.  Next one up is Celebrity, first time.  We sail itinerary first, all the other stuff is a distant second 🙂

If NCL rather than adding new amusements (Go carts) crated free adult only solarium(s) - I am not even talking indoor solariums or/and pools when they send ships to sail year around from NY - they would attract so many more fans!!! .

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

If NCL rather than adding new amusements (Go carts) crated free adult only solarium(s) - I am not even talking indoor solariums or/and pools when they send ships to sail year around from NY - they would attract so many more fans!!! .

I've read this 6 times now and I'm still struggling to decipher what you mean.  I agree the go carts are ridiculous. Many NCL ships do have an adult only area called SpiceH2O. Some of them are 3 levels and quite large. I have no idea what the NY reference is all about.

Now, if RCCL could just keep the kids out of the Solarium, I'd be a happier cruiser.

3 hours ago, RB9643 said:

I've read this 6 times now and I'm still struggling to decipher what you mean.  I agree the go carts are ridiculous. Many NCL ships do have an adult only area called SpiceH2O. Some of them are 3 levels and quite large. I have no idea what the NY reference is all about.

Now, if RCCL could just keep the kids out of the Solarium, I'd be a happier cruiser.

H2O with pools? Which ships?
There is Nothing comparable on NCL ships to what RCI offers.

I’m not even talking about the fact that only Haven guests deserve indoor pools on NCL. Try to sail our of NYC area during winters. RCI has Anthem there with indoor beautiful adult solarium and indoor family pool… NCL ships only have outdoor pool areas. 

On most if not all of our 27 cruises with RCI kids were out of Solariums. On several they used cafe or Solarium Bistro which wasn’t a problem. 

Edited by Tatka

17 minutes ago, Tatka said:

H2O with pools? Which ships?

Bliss -- 2 hot tubs and pool

Breakaway-- 2 hot tubs and pool

Epic --2 hot tubs and pool

Escape -- 2 hot tubs and water grotto

Getaway -- 2 hot tubs and pool

Joy -- 1 huge hot tub

Spirit -- 2 hot tubs and pool 

Star -- sundeck only

7 hours ago, RB9643 said:

Bliss -- 2 hot tubs and pool

Breakaway-- 2 hot tubs and pool

Epic --2 hot tubs and pool

Escape -- 2 hot tubs and water grotto

Getaway -- 2 hot tubs and pool

Joy -- 1 huge hot tub

Spirit -- 2 hot tubs and pool 

Star -- sundeck only

Was this pool added recently? In 2014 it was not there. It is very open (not much shade and no covered pool for colder sailings), but at least some place to swim is added.

Norwegian Breakaway - Spice H2O

Edited by Tatka