Seating times in Blu

Lojay2

I have sailed many times on Celebrity but first time in Aqua. I understand from reading some of the posts that Blu does not take reservations and know that the room is small and intimate.

My question is are you assigned special times to show up for the open seating (I also read its first come first serve)?

In doing the simple math, if everyone shows up at the same time, there is a long wait to get a table, in what is supposed to be an upgrade to Aqua, is slower and more cumbersome than eating in MDR.

I really need some clarification.... please

• Like 1

We liked our table and servers the first night so requested the same table, servers and time for the rest of the cruise.  They accommodated us.  The couple of nights we dined in specialty,  we told them (they already knew though) so 'our' table wasn't held up.  

It was perfect! 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 2

It’s generally seems to work itself out very well. For every person who wants to eat early there’s another person who wants to eat later. We would come at the very end and I haven’t had to wait in a number of cruises. Very occasionally if you have to wait they will give you a buzzer and you can go to one of the bars and have a drink, because it is first come first served, but as I said this has not happened to us in a long time.

On embarkation day you will find a note from the Blu maitre d suggesting a dining time for the first night. It is only a suggestion and you aren't bound to that time. If it is not your preferred time you don't need to show up then and you don't need to let them know. Just show up when you like within the posted dinner hours and you'll be accommodated.  All other nights you come when you like. No reservations are accepted or needed. The longest we've ever had to wait was about 5 minutes and that was rare. Blu is lovely. Enjoy.

I think the only reason they give you a recommended time the first night is to assign your party a server. We came after the first night at different times and always had our same server no matter where we ended up sitting in Blu.  Made us feel very special. 

Edited by Fuzzy55

As others have said, after the first night (which can be a bit hectic in Blu), things settle into a pattern and waiting for a table is not a problem.  We are in the habit of dining after the early show, and have always been seated quickly, usually with our "regular" staff members and in proximity to guests we recognize from previous nights.  In our experience the food has always been quite good, the table service top-notch and you can easily choose how "social" you want to be on any given night.  Some nights we enjoy sharing conversation with other guests, sometimes not.  That has never been a problem for us in Blu.

20 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

We liked our table and servers the first night so requested the same table, servers and time for the rest of the cruise.  They accommodated us.  The couple of nights we dined in specialty,  we told them (they already knew though) so 'our' table wasn't held up.  

It was perfect! 

🍹

BLU doesn't take reservations.

8 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

BLU doesn't take reservations.

We asked if we could have the same table and servers after dinner on the first night and they happily accommodated us and asked if it would be the same time each night.  

There were other tables that appeared to have the same 'set-up' arranged since it was almost always the same people around us each night. 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

21 hours ago, Lojay2 said:

I have sailed many times on Celebrity but first time in Aqua. I understand from reading some of the posts that Blu does not take reservations and know that the room is small and intimate.

My question is are you assigned special times to show up for the open seating (I also read its first come first serve)?

In doing the simple math, if everyone shows up at the same time, there is a long wait to get a table, in what is supposed to be an upgrade to Aqua, is slower and more cumbersome than eating in MDR.

I really need some clarification.... please

The first night is usually very busy and hectic as many people show up early it seems.  We tend to avoid Blu the first night and dine in a specialty restaurant with a discount.  We have had a couple of unpleasant first nights but things do get worked out after the first night.

I personally don't see why people talk about an intimate atmosphere.  Unless eating next to other tables of 2 is considered intimate...  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, keesar said:

The first night is usually very busy and hectic as many people show up early it seems.  We tend to avoid Blu the first night and dine in a specialty restaurant with a discount.  We have had a couple of unpleasant first nights but things do get worked out after the first night.

I personally don't see why people talk about an intimate atmosphere.  Unless eating next to other tables of 2 is considered intimate...  

I think those that say that are comparing it to the MDR which is much busier and noisier.

• Like 1

Just returned from our first sailing on an Edge class ship  in aqua class .

Blu on the Beyond ship was or seemed smaller than Solstice class ships and it really wasn't as good .

Dining room looked smaller, less accommodating ,was difficult to put your finger on why it wasn't the same as other Blu restaurants ,maybe it was that the windows were curtained and there was no nice view 

Seems since introducing the open dining ,the menu has become smaller, they were serving very similar menus each night that we went and the first night we dined was really very busy making the staff seem harassed and edgy .

It seems to me that Blu menus have hardly adapted at all over the last 10 years I have been sailing with Celebrity and therefore having the options of other restaurants to try was good .

we have been given 8pm as our time the first night each time we were aqua. We are 5 oclock dinner folks so just showed up when they opened. Last time we had a table of 8 at the same time each night and probably allowed since the other 3 couples were zenith unlike us lowly elites.

Just left Beyond yesterday. The ship was only half full. We ate about 8:00 / 8:30 ish, no booking required and no queuing. They try and seat you with the same team each visit (breakfast and dinner) subject to availability. However, we gather this week the ship is at full capacity with many family groups and at times queueing will be encountered at certain times up to 15 minutes.

Incidentally, on shore days none of the MDRs or Blu are open for lunch.  

9 hours ago, MicklemouseDD said:

Just left Beyond yesterday. The ship was only half full. We ate about 8:00 / 8:30 ish, no booking required and no queuing. They try and seat you with the same team each visit (breakfast and dinner) subject to availability. However, we gather this week the ship is at full capacity with many family groups and at times queueing will be encountered at certain times up to 15 minutes.

Incidentally, on shore days none of the MDRs or Blu are open for lunch.  

Since Aqua has been pretty much sold out for several months wondering why a full ship would effect waiting times in Blu?  Absolutely understand the effect in the MDR of more people.  Difficult for families to sail in Aqua as all cabins there 2 pax maximum. 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, PinkSandGirl said:

It was perfect! 

🍹

Very considerate.  We do the same thing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Since Aqua has been pretty much sold out for several months wondering why a full ship would effect waiting times in Blu?  Absolutely understand the effect in the MDR of more people.  Difficult for families to sail in Aqua as all cabins there 2 pax maximum. 

Family groups can be extended families of adults