Are Airfares Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

2 hours ago, BND said:

Does anyone remember interest rates in the early-mid 80's?  We bought our first townhouse at 22 and 24 in VA Beach using a VA loan that was 15.5% which had just come down from 18%.  We refinanced a year later to 12.5% and thought we'd hit the lottery.  While over the years, we never "lived" on our credit cards perse, we did have balances (especially when we needed car repairs or something for the kids, like clothes and never a vacation) but we now pay the one card we use for most everything every month.  Our CC is the BOA Amtrak MC which earns us points.  We haven't paid for an Amtrak ticket in 6 or so years.  In fact, our last 3 Auto train trips (round trip) and the one upcoming  in a bedroom were all done using points we earned by using the card but paying no interest or fees.  We also used to use CC's for x amount same as cash because store cards have always had really high interest rates but also earned rewards.  

39 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I was the DP (now called IT) manager for a mortgage company back in the 80's and I remember those rates!  By the late 80's our refi department was booming.  That manager would have us pulling daily reports for mortgagees with rates over xx% to solicit them for refinance.  The lowest rate we've ever had on a mortgage was 1.25% rate - it was an ARM but the cap was 8%.  It went up and down a few times, but was always lower the the then-current rates.  I think we're at 3.75% on our house now.  My wife works for a mortgage company and finds the best deals - I just show up and sign.  

Wow 15%!! I could see that causing an economic slowdown if that happened again. 

I don't have a mortgage anymore, the house is paid off now, but when I did it was around 3.75%. I have a car loan now at 2.74% which seems pretty good. 

I pay for everything with a credit card because of the purchase protection and because if anyone gets ahold of the card, they can't drain my bank account with it. I pay the balance in full every month so I've never paid interest on it but the card's interest rate is pretty high.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Not counting houses we owned before we married, or vacation property, we are on our 3rd house.  This will be the last one until we move to the cemetery (unless we have to move to assisted living).  We moved 3 years ago to get everything on one level.  Now, if we can just retire and spend more time cruising...🙂

We are currently looking for a house with at very least a master suite on the main level.  Or should I say, our friend an agent is looking for us.  As soon as we find something, we'll put this one on the market.  Currently since DH is still working we can qualify for both mortgages until we sell the current home and pay off (hopefully all) the new house.  DH is retiring in 17 months.  Our area is pretty much all either condos, townhouses or colonials.  Very few ranch style and some of the ones that exist don't have a basement.  I have a requirement of a basement for storage and extra space.  After my parents had a home with just a crawl space, I said, nope, not happening.  Our current home has about 5500 sq ft of finished space (including basement) and about 700 unfinished plus a 3 car garage.  It's going to be hard to downsize in terms of room sizes as we're so used to the space (large kitchen, sunroom, master br).

Now that we've gone way off topic lol.  I mean, what else is there to say about flying right now?  DS just got back on Fri from a work trip to LA, but Dulles to LAX flights haven't really been cancelled. It's a popular route and his flights were all pretty much sold out and both were on time.  No idea what his company paid for his ticket as he is a US Gov Fed contractor, but only actual Gov agencies get Gov discounts going through their own travel offices.  

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

Now that we've gone way off topic lol.  I mean, what else is there to say about flying right now?  DS just got back on Fri from a work trip to LA, but Dulles to LAX flights haven't really been cancelled. It's a popular route and his flights were all pretty much sold out and both were on time.  No idea what his company paid for his ticket as he is a US Gov Fed contractor, but only actual Gov agencies get Gov discounts going through their own travel offices.  

I'm probably going to Chicago next week to meet with our contract programming vendor.  SWA offers direct flights between BHM and MID and right now, it's looking like $185-$200 for each flight.  That's really not bad.  I am hoping that now we are after July 4th, things will have calmed down a bit.  

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting. I use points on SW (and others) all the time and have never paid any fee.

I'm curious...do others pay a fee for using frequent flier points/miles?

I have been flying SW on points for at least 8-10 years and have ALWAYS had to pay the $5.60 per leg Security Fee.  ALWAYS.  Are you sure you just never noticed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Does anyone remember interest rates in the early-mid 80's?  We bought our first townhouse at 22 and 24 in VA Beach using a VA loan that was 15.5% which had just come down from 18%.  We refinanced a year later to 12.5% and thought we'd hit the lottery.  While over the years, we never "lived" on our credit cards perse, we did have balances (especially when we needed car repairs or something for the kids, like clothes and never a vacation) but we now pay the one card we use for most everything every month.  Our CC is the BOA Amtrak MC which earns us points.  We haven't paid for an Amtrak ticket in 6 or so years.  In fact, our last 3 Auto train trips (round trip) and the one upcoming  in a bedroom were all done using points we earned by using the card but paying no interest or fees.  We also used to use CC's for x amount same as cash because store cards have always had really high interest rates but also earned rewards.  

That happened when the Fed removed the interest rate restrictions on deposits.  Used to be a flat 5% in savings.  That was it, no deviation.  When they removed the cap came the dawn of high interest rate CDs.  But what the general public failed to understand was back then there were almost no large National banks.  Banks were local and if they paid you 18% for your CD, they had to charge 21% for mortgages because that was how they made the money to pay you!

• Like 1

Delta blamed the FAA and high fuel for the mess and had poor earnings, in spite of high demand for flights. Pilots etc say airlines are just being poorly managed. I'm with poorly managed. They had bail out money to retain employees, then the covid mandate where they let pilots and crew go. And now cant hire enough. Cant seem to manage routes. They need to quit over selling seats.

No matter what the price of tickets they cant seem to make a decent profit. Prices are just floating ever higher. 

Oil is back up this morning. Started rising when biden didnt come home last friday with a promise of more oil from the Saudis. I've read they dont have the promised reserves and at 98% max. Saudis are buying from russia. Higher oil wouldnt just hit airlines but cruiselines too. I saw rcl had hedged 6 months ahead .. that wouldnt last. Too bad they didnt hedge 2 years lol. Oil back over $100 today. All biden can do is release our reserves faster. 

While airfares are going higher, I dont know if cruises have the same pricing power but rcl prices seem to be up to me as are carnivals out of Galveston.  Please no fuel supplements. Yes I know rcl said they wouldnt but they didnt remove it from the thing you click to agree to. 

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

That happened when the Fed removed the interest rate restrictions on deposits.  Used to be a flat 5% in savings.  That was it, no deviation.  When they removed the cap came the dawn of high interest rate CDs.  But what the general public failed to understand was back then there were almost no large National banks.  Banks were local and if they paid you 18% for your CD, they had to charge 21% for mortgages because that was how they made the money to pay you!

At least my grandparents profited from it as they had CD's that supplemented their SS.  

4 minutes ago, BND said:

At least my grandparents profited from it as they had CD's that supplemented their SS.  

My mom too.  I worked in the mortgage dept of one of those local banks & got her a phenomenal rate on her savings for several years.

7 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting. I use points on SW (and others) all the time and have never paid any fee.

I'm curious...do others pay a fee for using frequent flier points/miles?

I'm a frequent flyer with high mileage balances, and yes, always pay taxes.

6 hours ago, BND said:

Yes.   We have used points for friends and family and paid to use them on United.  In fact, the "free" trip for our DS and DDIL to go to England a few years ago on their honeymoon cost about $350.

The UK is very high on taxes and fees, about usd$150 each flight.  Once, we stayed overnight in London due to connection times.  Paying $300 for six hours of walking around London was as expensive as a ship excursion  😀

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

Not counting houses we owned before we married, or vacation property, we are on our 3rd house.  This will be the last one until we move to the cemetery

Cemetery plots have "mortgages" too with interest rates and monthly payments  😀

1 hour ago, mpk said:

Huh?  Not around here.  You buy it and it's yours forever (I was about to say "for life" but that makes no sense!).  

1 hour ago, mpk said:

Odd where do you live. I went in to pre purchase funerals and cemetary plots. It was like purchasing what you wanted except it was actually a insurance plan, you didnt actually prepurchase anything except the covering charge, digging the hole. 

I was a little worried but my dad passed last nov and they gave us everything we picked out ahead of time. It was like pre purchasing... except they said you dont get anything except this insurance. And we bought direct from the cemetery before you make assumptions. Covered everything from a to z no complaints but it wasnt like a mortgage. It's probably the most expensive cemetery here in my parents town. 

We picked out a plot, what it would say on the headstone, the corner decorations, which color of marble under it, the book at the viewing to sign in, casket, hearse, you name it. Maybe because it was a complete plan is why it was insurance? 

Edited by firefly333

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Odd where do you live. I went in to pre purchase funerals and cemetary plots. It was like purchasing what you wanted except it was actually a insurance plan, you didnt actually repurchase anything except the covering charge, digging the hole. 

I was a little worried but my dad passed last nov and they gave us everything we picked out ahead of time. It was like pre purchasing... except they said you dont get anything except this insurance. And we bought direct from the cemetery before you make assumptions. Covered everything from a to z no complaints but it wasnt like a mortgage. It's probably the most expensive cemetery here in my parents town. 

California.  I was joking about the "mortgage", but there are loans/payments.  Often no-finance charges if paid in full within two years.  Can buy for cash of course, but even small plots of dirt in California can be expensive 🙃

2 minutes ago, mpk said:

California.  I was joking about the "mortgage", but there are loans/payments.  Often no-finance charges if paid in full within two years.  Can buy for cash of course, but even small plots of dirt in California can be expensive 🙃

This wasnt cheap. My mom kept acting like I was going to town on the price but they had 2 packages to choose from. The packages seemed cheaper than buying less piecemeal.  We didnt use everything in the pkg but I still think it better than piece by piece. Like here you can buy a plot but then by law have to pay for a liber for the burial thing. Having the liner included seemed like best to bundle everything. 

Maybe piecemeal you own the plot. Idk I went in to buy because dad went into a coma and then didnt die then but he had it prepaid. I didnt shop around. Mom thought it cost too much but she wanted that cemetary. For instance it included a speaker for up to a hour to run the service, though we got a pastor they would have provided it. Viewing at the funeral place we skipped but did the included service at the cemetery that was included. A tent and chairs included. They agreed to do a open casket viewing at the cemetary service. We were quite pleased. Everything we wanted was included..and then some.

Never bought any other funerals before. That's my one and only. Didnt think of it until I see others here had like titles to their plots.  

2 minutes ago, mpk said:

This wasnt cheap. My mom kept acting like I was going to town on the price but they had 2 packages to choose from. The packages seemed cheaper than buying less piecemeal.  We didnt use everything in the pkg but I still think it better than piece by piece. Like here you can buy a plot but then by law have to pay for a liber for the burial thing. Having the liner included seemed like best to bundle everything. 

Maybe piecemeal you own the plot. Idk I went in to buy because dad went into a coma and then didnt die then but he had it prepaid. I didnt shop around. Mom thought it cost too much but she wanted that cemetary. For instance it included a speaker for up to a hour to run the service, though we got a pastor they would have provided it. Viewing at the funeral place we skipped but did the included service at the cemetery that was included. A tent and chairs included. They agreed to do a open casket viewing at the cemetary service. We were quite pleased. Everything we wanted was included..and then some.

Never bought any other funerals before. That's my one and only. Didnt think of it until I see others here had like titles to their plots.  

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

You don’t have funeral homes in your area?  In CT, you buy the plot from the cemetery (along with what is called Perpetual Care for the plot, and then everything is handled by and through the funeral home.  You don’t pay for anything you won’t use. 

46 minutes ago, poocher said:

You don’t have funeral homes in your area?  In CT, you buy the plot from the cemetery (along with what is called Perpetual Care for the plot, and then everything is handled by and through the funeral home.  You don’t pay for anything you won’t use. 

yes I mentioned funeral home. The cemetary owned 2 funeral homes and we had a choice of either. When my father passed we called the funeral home and brought clothes there as they prepare the body. I went to restland cemetary because that's where my mom wanted to be buried, and they owned 2 different funeral homes.

I didnt know anything was odd until this post. We bought thru a salesman at the cemetary but had a choice which home to use. One plan was 5k to 7k more but included 2 hearse and different caskets etc. But of course the viewing I mentioned was at a funeral home, we just choose to skip it, or mom did, she couldnt stand the thought, but a funeral home prepared the body and did the hearse to the graveside. Both showed up, the guy from the funeral home and the lady from the cemetary.  I meet with both beforehand and both were there separately. 

No sense worrying now .. but moms is also pre paid in this manner. Insurance policy that gets cashed in at the time of death., cemetary sold it this way.