Flowers aboard ship

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

They used to sell flowers.  However, not anymore.  You can bring them on the ship--but, not take them off again.  

I cruised with someone that always brings a large vase full.  she gives them to the waitress when she leaves.

Yeah, they used to have a flower cart in the Promenade -- for the first day or so. 

Though your friend's heart is in the right place, I'm not sure about giving them to a crew member, "Here, have a vase of week-old flowers."  

15 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

They used to sell flowers.  However, not anymore.  You can bring them on the ship--but, not take them off again.  

I cruised with someone that always brings a large vase full.  she gives them to the waitress when she leaves.

At one time I read that flowers could be brought on the ship as long as no soil or roots were attached.  I’d like to bring flowers with me , so I will give it a try.

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, they used to have a flower cart in the Promenade -- for the first day or so. 

Though your friend's heart is in the right place, I'm not sure about giving them to a crew member, "Here, have a vase of week-old flowers."  

Yes, that sounds terrible. 

Actually, the cruiser brought a freesia [sp?] bouquet because it lasts a long time.  She brought it to dinner each night for the table.  On the last night she gave it to the waitress.  It still looked very nice.  If not, she would have disposed of the flowers.  The waitress was a young woman from China.  She commented on the flowers a few times during the cruise and seemed genuinely please to get them at the end of the cruise. 

edit:  The flowers did not take the place of an additional tip for a job well done.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

23 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Yes, that sounds terrible. 

Actually, the cruiser brought a freesia [sp?] bouquet because it lasts a long time.  She brought it to dinner each night for the table.  On the last night she gave it to the waitress.  It still looked very nice.  If not, she would have disposed of the flowers.  The waitress was a young woman from China.  She commented on the flowers a few times during the cruise and seemed genuinely please to get them at the end of the cruise. 

edit:  The flowers did not take the place of an additional tip for a job well done.

I don't know freesia, but a long-lasting flower is a wise choice.  

I'm not sure about carrying it in to dinner every night.  

I never suspected she gave the flowers in lieu of appropriate tips.  

If you ever have a stop in Seattle, that port has some of the best places to buy flowers cheap within walking distance of where the ships docks at Pike's Market Place.

We bought a nice bouquet there on our  first leg of  a B2B and had the flowers for both cruises, they were so fresh they lasted even the the whole second cruise.

Public Market Seattle Flowers Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos  from Dreamstime

image.jpeg.fdd273b78950bb1b4ef9a4e6639aaec4.jpeg

Seattle pike place market flowers High Resolution Stock Photography and  Images - Alamy

That is also where they throw the Salmon Fish back and forth.

Pike Place Market | Visit Seattle

• Like 1

My husband used to purchase a bud vase from the flower cart. Then the cart disappeared. Now we make a stop on every cruise and pick up a bunch of flowers. I have a pliable plastic vase that is no thicker than a piece of paper. Here are some flower  examples. This week I have daisies, sorry no picture. 

Edited  to add a sample of the vase  

0D9A316D-6045-4CA0-B848-C73178AB74AD.thumb.jpeg.90b606a8bcadbdf9a7473041960d3034.jpeg

BD3007A2-622F-46B4-BBE0-85F38B3CD5FF.jpeg

D69BD06E-189C-4E58-8998-979BE563663E.jpeg

0C672D35-9182-49BB-90D2-36FA12DCA6AB.jpeg

AC80861E-4A42-44B2-9668-4172812AE2CA.png

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

I always stop to pick up a bouquet of flowers before boarding. In Florida I usually buy at Publix, but I also took advantage of the amazing flowers in Seattle at the Pike Place Market.

I bought the collapsible travel vases like the photos above. They pack flat until you put water in them. I always get comments from people as we board, wishing they had thought of bringing flowers.

I've never been told I couldn't take them on, but I have been cautioned that they can't be taken off the ship. They do brighten up the cabin.

Barb

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

I've never been told I couldn't take them on, but I have been cautioned that they can't be taken off the ship. They do brighten up the cabin.

Barb

I use to order flowers for my wife on every cruise so I was disappointed when I could not for my recent Alaskan cruise. I did see many people bring flowers on board before we departed!