Refilling Waterbottles

18 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

Yes, but as mentioned in another recent thread: please refill personal water bottles by pouring water/beverage in a clean glass and then pour it in the water bottle. 

That is what you do at the drink stations on deck or in the Windjammer.   

What is the protocol at the freestyle machine?

49 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

At the freestyle machine you must use your ship supplied cup. 

Not a must to use ship cup for water from freestyle machine - water works without the chip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

At the Freestyle machine, set the cup on the machine and fill that way.  No worries about the lip of the cup hitting the spout, which is the concern when filling at other stations.

Actually, the major concern is the rim of the glass touching the dispenser bar (the thing that gets pressed back to dispense).  If the machine is the type where you press a button to dispense, then refilling is okay.  Most machines with dispensing bars, you couldn't touch the spout anyway.

• Like 1

On Freestyle machines I have seen, the liquid is dispensed by pressing a button on the front.  Ice is dispensed by pressing a bar behind where the cup sits.  The bar sit fairly low, so unless you use a really short cup, it would not touch the rim where your lips would (if not drinking from a straw).  If the thought of the edge of your cup touching something that the edge of someone else's cup might have touched, then I suggest you never, ever look at what anyone else on the ship does before touching all the other surfaces you will touch like handrails, elevator buttons, chairs, counters, etc.  You will likely end up jumping overboard to escape all those germs! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You may not - not all of them may have that feature available/enabled.

Even if you can't get water from them, you can get ice. I would get ice from the freestyle machine and then get water from Sorrento's

We ended up packing and using a Pur filter pitcher in our room to provide all of the water we wanted to drink, and it was a great decision for our family to have with our reusable bottles (and yes, we flew in!). The pitcher is really lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of room if you fill it up with clothes - also clothing protects/insulates it in the suitcase! We'd grab some ice from somewhere on our way back to the room at night and throw it in the top while filtering to create cold water for the evening and first thing in the morning, and then also fill up our bottles to put in the fridge when we weren't using them. For a family that drinks a lot of water, I would highly recommend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the major concern is the rim of the glass touching the dispenser bar (the thing that gets pressed back to dispense).  If the machine is the type where you press a button to dispense, then refilling is okay.  Most machines with dispensing bars, you couldn't touch the spout anyway.

The dispensers at Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade (especially on smaller ships) and sitting on the bar on the pool deck don't have a dispenser bar, but they still have the "no filling water bottles" rule.  

The spigot would be directly on the mouth part if you were refilling a narrow-mouth water bottle on a dispenser like this:

2320381.jpg.778b792b48c7266f4caed6591847ae16.jpg

32 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The spigot would be directly on the mouth part if you were refilling a narrow-mouth water bottle on a dispenser like this:

They have signs asking that you do not refill bottles from these. They prefer that you pour cups of liquid into your bottle.

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

They have signs asking that you do not refill bottles from these. They prefer that you pour cups of liquid into your bottle.

That just wastes a bunch of clean cups.

Just fill up your cup from the dispenser like everyone else.

The sign says to "not refill bottle BOTTLES".  That's likely because people trying to refill bottles would put them against the nozzle to prevent spillage.  Reusing a cup for refill is not an issue as it would not need to touch the nozzle.

Nor would the 3" wide lip of my Nalgene bottle be within touching distance, but hey, common sense doesn't always translate the same.  

(I ignored the signs because the intent of what they are out to achieve was still met)

5 hours ago, flamingos said:

Yeah, I know.... that's why this was a topic of discussion.  If you read back through the whole thread you'll see that. 

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yeah, I know.... that's why this was a topic of discussion.  If you read back through the whole thread you'll see that. 

And yet this was one of the replies:

That just wastes a bunch of clean cups.

Just fill up your cup from the dispenser like everyone else.