More Royal Questions

28 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Yes. March was our first time back on RCI in nine years. A total of four cruises on the NV since then. They finally placed a ship out here on the left coast that we can easily drive to so we decided to try them again. We had cruised on this ship right after she entered service out of Miami and really liked it. RCI did a nice job with the refurb a few years ago. Staterooms/suites are showing their age in some areas but overall a great ship with a hard working friendly crew. We still prefer Celebrity but we’re still keeping it in the family. 🙂 I think that you will enjoy the experience. 

Thank you.  We usually cruise with Princess and my last cruise was the inaugural and also the second sailing of the new Discovery Princess.  Just thought I would try something different.

I set up a girls outing with three of my friends. The four of us will be in two connecting Promenade interiors so I hope everything goes well. It’s always a bit of a pain due to my dairy allergy but I am trying to find out everything I can pre-cruise. If you have been on 4 Navigator sailings since March, they must be doing something right.  

Have you ever booked an interior guarantee?  I’m thinking of calling another friend and booking another cruise with the guarantee. I don’t like forward cabins so I have never booked that way before. I wonder what location they usually assign?  You just can’t beat the price.

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My wife also has a dairy allergy, I know the challenges on board, especially desserts.  Ask for the pavlova without cream.

Thank you so much! I have never tried Pavlova so I have no idea what it even is. Is this something that I can ask for at the buffet or in the MDR? I am so sorry that your wife also has a dairy allergy. It really is a difficult.  Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated!  

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you so much! I have never tried Pavlova so I have no idea what it even is. Is this something that I can ask for at the buffet or in the MDR? I am so sorry that your wife also has a dairy allergy. It really is a difficult.  Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated!  

It's a baked merangue with berries and a berry puree drizzled over it.  They have also done some desserts for her using dark chocolate. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you.  We usually cruise with Princess and my last cruise was the inaugural and also the second sailing of the new Discovery Princess.  Just thought I would try something different.

I set up a girls outing with three of my friends. The four of us will be in two connecting Promenade interiors so I hope everything goes well. It’s always a bit of a pain due to my dairy allergy but I am trying to find out everything I can pre-cruise. If you have been on 4 Navigator sailings since March, they must be doing something right.  

Have you ever booked an interior guarantee?  I’m thinking of calling another friend and booking another cruise with the guarantee. I don’t like forward cabins so I have never booked that way before. I wonder what location they usually assign?  You just can’t beat the price.

By the way, you can watch her sail away today. She should be leaving at any time. No sound and not the best cam but it does give a nice view of the ship.

• Thanks 1

We had dinner in the Windjammer the other and went around the buffet twice looking for "Vegan" signs...nothing. We decided to ask if there were any vegan dishes and were told: "You'll have to talk to one of the supervisors and the chef will be happy to make something for you". 

* There were gluten-free signs in the dessert section.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

We had dinner in the Windjammer the other and went around the buffet twice looking for "Vegan" signs...nothing. We decided to ask if there were any vegan dishes and were told: "You'll have to talk to one of the supervisors and the chef will be happy to make something for you". 

* There were gluten-free signs in the dessert section.

A video that I watched on YouTube (and read the comments) was telling that they were clearly marked as vegan.  I thought that was too good to be true. Thank you so much again!  That is so nice that they will make something for me but I always feel so bad that my friends and family have to wait so long for me to get my food.  

How are your cruises going? How are the crowds?  Have fun and stay healthy.  Thanks again!  

37 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

A video that I watched on YouTube (and read the comments) was telling that they were clearly marked as vegan.  I thought that was too good to be true. Thank you so much again!  That is so nice that they will make something for me but I always feel so bad that my friends and family have to wait so long for me to get my food.  

How are your cruises going? How are the crowds?  Have fun and stay healthy.  Thanks again!  

No worries, they may aready have some of your dishes prepared...emailing them at least 7-10 days before your cruise will make things easier. Also, as soon as you board, speak to a supervisor and you may be able to plan/make vegan dishes for you for the entire cruise.

The cruise(s) were lots of fun and truly flew by fast. The cruise director (Mey, from Peru) was high octane, high energy and a great dancer...and funny. Don't miss the "Love and Marriage" show. The 70's and 80's dance party in the promenade was packed both nights. The headliner show "Showgirls" was replaced by the headliner called "Ballroom Fever".

Also being a Princess cruiser (we are as well), the Navigator gives you a few more options if you are active...the flowrider, rock climbing wall, a nice golf/putting area, basketball court,  and of course the ever popular slides.

* Even adults can enjoy the slides :classic_smile:.

Happy sailing!

Edited by bonsai3s
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

No worries, they may aready have some of your dishes prepared...emailing them at least 7-10 days before your cruise will make things easier. Also, as soon as you board, speak to a supervisor and you may be able to plan/make vegan dishes for you for the entire cruise.

The cruise(s) were lots of fun and truly flew by fast. The cruise director (Mey, from Peru) was high octane, high energy and a great dancer...and funny. Don't miss the "Love and Marriage" show. The 70's and 80's dance party in the promenade was packed both nights. The headliner show "Showgirls" was replaced by the headliner called "Ballroom Fever".

Also being a Princess cruiser (we are as well), the Navigator gives you a few more options if you are active...the flowrider, rock climbing wall, a nice golf/putting area, basketball court,  and of course the ever popular slides.

* Even adults can enjoy the slides :classic_smile:.

Happy sailing!

I am really looking forward to some new shows.  I’m not super active but I plan on people watching at the rock wall and the flowrider too.

I sent my email and I will talk to a supervisor when I arrive.  I do eat meat, just nothing that contains dairy.  You’re the best.  😊😊😊

if you sail on the Discovery Princess make sure to see Rock Opera.  I’m normally not a show person (I think Vegas spoiled me) but that show was fantastic!  I do love game shows. I’m also looking forward to the ice-skating show on the Navigator.

My daughter's diet is gluten free, dairy free, and soy free.  We have found that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity makes it much easier to deal with her dietary restrictions.  And dietary restrictions are so common now, it is even easier to deal with.

In the MDR, talk to your Head Waiter the first night.  You can go over the next nights menu and special order food.  You can get simple substitutions like swapping rice for mashed potatoes, or have them cook something completely different.  There is now a full time chef on board who only deals with special requests.  Another note:  anyone can special order food.  On Beef Stroganoff/tuna night, I have been ordering fried shrimp or fish because nothing on there looks that appealing.

In the Windjammer, there will be a chef/supervisor nearby who can answer all your questions.  This is much improved, where before, they frequently had to go find a chef to answer questions.  The biggest issues at a self serve buffet is that other diners will contaminate food. 

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity make is much easier to deal with dietary restrictions compared to a land based vacation.  For instance, we went to VA Beach last summer.  I spent over an hour calling restaurants to see if they could accommodate her.  The big issue, most of the restaurants used fries coated with wheat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marvelous35 said:

My daughter's diet is gluten free, dairy free, and soy free.  We have found that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity makes it much easier to deal with her dietary restrictions.  And dietary restrictions are so common now, it is even easier to deal with.

In the MDR, talk to your Head Waiter the first night.  You can go over the next nights menu and special order food.  You can get simple substitutions like swapping rice for mashed potatoes, or have them cook something completely different.  There is now a full time chef on board who only deals with special requests.  Another note:  anyone can special order food.  On Beef Stroganoff/tuna night, I have been ordering fried shrimp or fish because nothing on there looks that appealing.

In the Windjammer, there will be a chef/supervisor nearby who can answer all your questions.  This is much improved, where before, they frequently had to go find a chef to answer questions.  The biggest issues at a self serve buffet is that other diners will contaminate food. 

Thank you for your very helpful reply. That has to be hard for your daughter. I know how hard it is at times just to get dairy free items.  

I know they can’t prevent cross contamination in a buffet unless they go back to 100% serving the guests.  I’m pretty sure they serve the same items over and over in the buffet. I wish they would have signs indicating if those items contain any of the eight common food allergens. It’s not like the signs would not be used used on a daily/weekly basis.

More Royal Questions 😊

After you get your food at the Windjammer buffet is their outside seating that you can walk to close by?

Have you tried the avocado toast. If so, what types do they have?

Do you have any favorite food items? Favorite Mocktails?

Have you ordered the salmon or chicken wings from room service?  I read online that they automatically add an 18% gratuity. Do you tip on top of that? I usually do not double tip but I want to make sure that the person gets their tip.  

I saw that they offer a text messaging service for $1.99 per person, per day. Is this something that we can pay for pre-cruise or do we need to wait until we are on the ship? How do you order this?

Have you ever tried the Escape Room?

Thanks so much and I’m sure I will think of 1 million other questions.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Is this something that we can pay for pre-cruise or do we need to wait until we are on the ship? How do you order this?

You can only buy that from within the app once on board - the three dots in the upper right. 

• Thanks 1