DRINKS IN THE DIAMOND LOUNGE DURING HAPPY HOUR

I’m definitely enjoying the vouchers although I was also happy with the happy hour drinks as well.

The inclusion of frozen drinks & ability to try random stuff (like the unique drinks at Playmakers*) has changed my cruise drinking routine, I think for the better.

I was content drinking vodka tonics each night in the DL but the variety that comes with the vouchers feels more like a vacation thing to me. JMO of course.

*Playmakers note to John: Black & Gold wasn’t for me, I’m a clear liquor guy, but gave it a shot. The “Pitch” I got was crazy strong & I think I need a do-over. The bartender even asked if it needed more Sprite so I think he might have suspected he made it too strong. It was a pretty bright green but didn’t taste like Midori. I think we’re having dinner there Tuesday; will seek out Alex then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, beardedladies said:

kind of tells you that the majority have decided the lack of free drinks outweighs the desire to meet others.

I disagree slightly that the main focus was on 'free' drinks. It was a ritual to head to the lounge at 5pm or whenever it opened. The lounges or over flows were packed and the atmosphere buzzing, some of this probably due to free drinks but also because it was where you went, it was what we did.

This doesn't happen any more as it is more 'convenient' to most to use the vouchers elsewhere. What we had once in the DL is lost for good I fear.

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

I disagree slightly that the main focus was on 'free' drinks. It was a ritual to head to the lounge at 5pm or whenever it opened. The lounges or over flows were packed and the atmosphere buzzing, some of this probably due to free drinks but also because it was where you went, it was what we did.

This doesn't happen any more as it is more 'convenient' to most to use the vouchers elsewhere. What we had once in the DL is lost for good I fear.

Well stated, IMO. The free drinks & socializing went hand in hand.

We still stop by each night but we don’t stay long anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

They were way overcrowded the last few years. Normal to be turned away 

Can you even imagine what they would be like now. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, beardedladies said:

What makes me laugh is that for years we've had so many people on these forums insist that they weren't going to the diamond/concierge/suite lounge for the unlimited drinks, it was all about the interaction with other people in the lounge, honest.

But when those unlimited drinks are removed and instead you can drink anywhere, suddenly they all evaporate. Not so bothered about that chat with other people now!

Human nature....mention "free drinks"....and they will show up at the dump if that is where they are offered.  😉 

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, BND said:

It's why we go to the DL or CL also.  Plus the apps.  And, there were always others in the lounges on our HOTS and EN b2bs.  In fact, on HOTS, we couldn't find seats a couple of times.

We have tried...but just not a fan of the DL on deck four.... being such a closed in lounge.  I really miss the old CL turned DL location that was on Oasis...and still on Allure since it didn't get amped.  

Actually got a kick out of finally using the "Rising Tide" bar for a drink or two the last couple of times on Harmony.   

We do early dining now...happy tisers are not something we need since then.  

11 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Wow!  I feel so bad for you.  We are happy to be able to enjoy the vouchers anytime during the day that we want to. We are Diamond +, so we get 5, but we are so happy to get 5 whenever we want.

Totally agree there.  Happy hour is any hour...at any venue...including Coco Cay/Labadee.  🙂 

We have only made it to our six once.   Yikes....with the comped wine and the six drinks per person per day.....that is already a reason to think about making an appointment with AA for me.   😮😉 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I’m definitely enjoying the vouchers although I was also happy with the happy hour drinks as well.

The inclusion of frozen drinks & ability to try random stuff (like the unique drinks at Playmakers*) has changed my cruise drinking routine, I think for the better.

I was content drinking vodka tonics each night in the DL but the variety that comes with the vouchers feels more like a vacation thing to me. JMO of course.

*Playmakers note to John: Black & Gold wasn’t for me, I’m a clear liquor guy, but gave it a shot. The “Pitch” I got was crazy strong & I think I need a do-over. The bartender even asked if it needed more Sprite so I think he might have suspected he made it too strong. It was a pretty bright green but didn’t taste like Midori. I think we’re having dinner there Tuesday; will seek out Alex then.

Agree with you as well.  🙂 

With the vouchers, I had fun at the bar on EX in the VCL.   Head bartender Bruno (best bartender ever) ...helped me experiment with various selections to get out of my Gin and Tonic boring routine.  😁  And had so much fun doing so as well.  😉 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Agree.   The crowds and fighting for seats...(and seat saving) just really turned it off for us, even before the voucher program.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

With the vouchers, I had fun at the bar on EX in the VCL.   Head bartender Bruno (best bartender ever) ...helped me experiment with various selections to get out of my Gin and Tonic boring routine.  😁  And had so much fun doing so as well.  😉 

It really is pretty cool when you find a true bartender who enjoys doing that with you. When I was in Allure this past January I had a bartender like that in the Champagne Bar. His name was Romeo. I think being able to remember names is a sign that you had a good one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

We’ve been experimenting with my non-drinking wife for years. The change is really nice for her. She’s mostly settled on virgin strawberry daiquiris but the point is she can now get free fun stuff instead of just sitting in the DL with me so I can drink (and be social).

Vouchers are also great for kids. It was fun taking my 12 year old niece “to the bar” on Harmony.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It really is pretty cool when you find a true bartender who enjoys doing that with you. When I was in Allure this past January I had a bartender like that in the Champagne Bar. His name was Romeo. I think being able to remember names is a sign that you had a good one.

Agree.  As is with favorite waiters.   🙂  

Another wonderful things about the vouchers...happy hour is when WE want it to be.  Now that we are doing early dining...we like going to the bar around 4 pm.....instead of the usual crunch at 5 pm in the lounges.  Even the bars are not as busy then, which gives us more time to interact with the bar staff.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I would say that you are one of the VERY few who were satisfied with the quality of the booze on the "diamond list". 

I say:  Quality over quantity any day and twice on Sundays.  Flexibility of all day, all venues over restriction of one small room for a brief time - not even worth comparing.

I don't drink during the day,(maybe a glass of wine at lunch) and only drink wine at night, so, for me it worked. To each his own....

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

We’ve been experimenting with my non-drinking wife for years. The change is really nice for her. She’s mostly settled on virgin strawberry daiquiris but the point is she can now get free fun stuff instead of just sitting in the DL with me so I can drink (and be social).

Has she tried the virgin peach daiquiri?  It's absolutely divine!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

Has she tried the virgin peach daiquiri?  It's absolutely divine!!!

I saw you mention this before & passed it along… her (classic) response… I’m not a big fan of peach. 🤣

I can only laugh b/c she’s been picky since our first date 22 years ago. It used to be much worse (as far as food goes) believe it or not.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

A DL server had her try a non-virgin “Kiss on the Lips” but made it very weak on purpose. Tasted good to me other than the lack of alcohol, very sweet & mango-y … she said it was OK but of course wasn’t a huge fan of mango. 🤷‍♂️

She likes her virgin strawberry daiquiris & I’ve been getting the occasional mudslide as a last drink for dessert which she likes as long as there’s enough chocolate syrup in it. Finding more than 1.5 drinks for her is asking a lot.

19 hours ago, hmorrow said:

I don't drink during the day,(maybe a glass of wine at lunch) and only drink wine at night, so, for me it worked. To each his own....

As I stated originally, you are in a very small minority.  Enjoy your cruises.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, John&LaLa said:

On the long, high tier loaded sailings, the DL would probably overflow into the entire 2 story Music Hall on Q class. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

Maybe YOU are DRUNK?  😜

No, it's still too early for me! 😁

Really, I think it's the all-caps that makes me tend to read the wrong work.  That, or maybe I am thinking it would be a funny thread if it were about drunks in the DL, so my brain suggests that!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

No, it's still too early for me! 😁

Really, I think it's the all-caps that makes me tend to read the wrong work.  That, or maybe I am thinking it would be a funny thread if it were about drunks in the DL, so my brain suggests that!

It's five o'clock somewhere.  Like Iceland, where I am now, and drinking Calvados.  😄  😄 😄 

• Like 5

On 7/18/2022 at 3:08 AM, Tin can said:

Oh, it was all about the free drinks.  The crowd, or lack of a crowd, tells you all you need to know.  

Met lots of folks who would hardly leave their seat to use the restroom during happy hours.  Drink after drink and then “sneak” out one for the road.   Then, I would never see them with a drink at other times.  It was all about the freebies.  The socializing is just the natural extension of cramming way too many drunk people into a room.  You have no choice but to chat with folks who are nearly sitting on your lap.  😂😂😂.  We met some lovely people this way.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

The socializing is just the natural extension of cramming way too many drunk people into a room.  You have no choice but to chat with folks who are nearly sitting on your lap.  😂😂😂.  We met some lovely people this way.   

So I was right - it *IS* a thread about Drunks in the DL!  🤣

• Haha 1