Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

26 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I may be similar to the OP's Husband and am seriously considering canceling my Nov cruise. I would typically look to upgrade from my S-1 to a CS or RS but really think it could be a potential waste of money. 

We have remained Covid free (smart or lucky, not sure) and being cooped up who knows where on a ship would be a nightmare.

Also, our President just tested positive again and he had been taking the Paxlovid treatment. You think you are free from the virus and then "wham" it never really went away. Who is really going to trust any of this stuff anymore? 

Decisions, Decisions. 😞

I hear you, TB, loud and clear.  I went back and forth on the Oct 24 cruise I just very recenlty booked and paid in full, after having canceled two just a few weeks prior.  I just decided, this is a bucket list cruise so f' it, I'll take my chances.  Cruise begins in Rome so if for whatever reason I test positive before boarding, my Plan B keeps me in Italy for the 2 weeks I'd of been on the cruise.  Frankly, my biggest concern is possibly being moved from my booked cabin down to the dungeon, but lately I am seeing quite a few saying they have been allowed to saty in the suite they booked.  We shall see, so best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I hear you, TB, loud and clear.  I went back and forth on the Oct 24 cruise I just very recenlty booked and paid in full, after having canceled two just a few weeks prior.  I just decided, this is a bucket list cruise so f' it, I'll take my chances.  Cruise begins in Rome so if for whatever reason I test positive before boarding, my Plan B keeps me in Italy for the 2 weeks I'd of been on the cruise.  Frankly, my biggest concern is possibly being moved from my booked cabin down to the dungeon, but lately I am seeing quite a few saying they have been allowed to saty in the suite they booked.  We shall see, so best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks. Yes, that is my biggest concern too. I do not want to be in the dungeon. My DH wants to go and this is not a bucket list cruise. 10 days in the Caribbean but in and out of US ports (FLL). I would rather fly to FL and spend 5 days at the Breakers in Palm Beach. At least I am in control of my life that way. LOL.

Enjoy Italy!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Here is something that came to mind, what if one comes down with flu like symptoms, is tested but is negative for Covid. So maybe he caught a seasonal flu bug, would that person also be quarantined? So maybe they don't quarantine him, isn't he a serious threat also to his fellow passengers as people die from seasonal flu bugs?  Along the same lines, if you don't quarantine for the seasonal flu why quarantine for Covid?

You are very wise. The pharmaceuticals are making a killing off of these boosters. …

• Like 3

Hello all,

I am new to this thread but just out of interest I wonder if many cruisers would prefer that cruise lines up the testing requirement pre-cruise (such as switch to PCR tests or require the antigen test in the country of embarkation (i.e. after any pre-cruise flight)) to limit the virus getting on the ship in the first place?

This means that in theory one would be more likely to be denied boarding but less likely to be quarantined onboard?

Which is worse; denial of boarding or onboard quarantine?

5 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Hello all,

I am new to this thread but just out of interest I wonder if many cruisers would prefer that cruise lines up the testing requirement pre-cruise (such as switch to PCR tests or require the antigen test in the country of embarkation (i.e. after any pre-cruise flight)) to limit the virus getting on the ship in the first place?

This means that in theory one would be more likely to be denied boarding but less likely to be quarantined onboard?

Really does not matter a wit what we "prefer", whether we like it or agree with it, what matters is what is

6 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Hello all,

The disconnect there is between the lines' shift from "3 days before" to "2 days before" testing with so many outlets quoting 72 hours for PCR results.  To get your wish, something would have to change.

19 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Along the same lines, if you don't quarantine for the seasonal flu why quarantine for Covid?

You make an interesting point.  Hopefully someone with flu-like symptoms, or a common cold for that matter, would try to avoid close contact with other passengers.

But the issue of mandatory quarantine policies for the cruise lines may come down to risk management.  While not yet fully understood, it is apparent that Covid and flu are two very different viruses.  The R naught number for seasonal flu is somewhere between 1 and 2, meaning that each person who has it will likely give it to one or two additional persons.  The equivalent number for the Delta Covid variant is estimated to be around 7.  There is currently debate about the R naught number for the b.a.5 variant, but the range being discussed is somewhere between the Delta variant and 18.  COVID is much more transmissible than flu.

This relative ease of transmission is likely influencing the pre-cruise testing discussions currently underway in the cruise line corporate offices.  Even though testing won't eliminate Covid on board, if pre-cruise testing reduces the number of Covid-positive passengers (as it almost certainly does) then the number of cases developed by passengers and crew during the cruise will be smaller, thereby reducing the risk that the ship's capacity to deal with sick passengers will be overtaxed or that crew illness will impact service levels.

Another relevant difference between the diseases is the severity and potential outcomes, and certainly this may impact the cruise line's policies as well.  Each year flu kills around 30,000 people in the U.S (although that number declined very substantially while the Covid inspired mask mandates were in effect).  The mortality rate for Covid has yet to be established (it apparently takes more than two years data to calculate with precision and the post-vaccine mortality rates are undoubtedly much better in 2020) but it is certainly many times higher than Covid.  Current estimates suggest that Covid death rates may be about 10 times higher.

So, for now it seems to me that the cruise lines are trying to do the best they can to figure out the optimum strategies to deal with the problems of Covid.  Hopefully, over time, Covid will become more like the flu and the perceived and actual need for mandatory quarantine will end.  But, that time is not right now.

Cruise lines don't have any incentive to pursue policies that are more restrictive than they believe are necessary.  But they do have an incentive to manage and balance their risks as best they can.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 2:48 AM, Fly and Sail said:

Simple solution: Don't let yourself get tested on board under any circumstances and you won't be in quarantine. Your husbands concerns are totally valid.

Understand your suggestion but from experience you have two choices if required to be tested like B2B or because you are showing signs and requested to be tested.

Either be tested or leave the ship.  

I prefer to be tested and yes I tested positive on on of 6 B2B and had to quarantine for one day and then leave the ship missing m next cruise.

56 minutes ago, canderson said:

The disconnect there is between the lines' shift from "3 days before" to "2 days before" testing with so many outlets quoting 72 hours for PCR results.  To get your wish, something would have to change.

Curious as I've not seen it posted.   Is the shifting to 3 days before for just those cruises under 6 days or for all cruises.   If so can you point me to where it's posted?

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious as I've not seen it posted.   Is the shifting to 3 days before for just those cruises under 6 days or for all cruises.   If so can you point me to where it's posted?

No, no ... they have NOT shifted back to 3 days.  It was the original shift way back from 3 to 2 that I meant.  That blew up a lot of testing services that couldn't guarantee PCR results for 72 hours.  Happened a while back. 

Just saying that if the poster who mentioned a preference for PCR tests wants to see that happen, then the lines would really need to consider reverting to a 3 day window as it once was to allow for more testing options again.

Nothing at all to do with recent changes to testing for short cruises.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:07 PM, MISTER 67 said:

Here is something that came to mind, what if one comes down with flu like symptoms, is tested but is negative for Covid. So maybe he caught a seasonal flu bug, would that person also be quarantined? So maybe they don't quarantine him, isn't he a serious threat also to his fellow passengers as people die from seasonal flu bugs?  Along the same lines, if you don't quarantine for the seasonal flu why quarantine for Covid?

As an OMG 40+ yr career nurse working in the field and not with paper: I’ve never encountered anyone that has died directly from influenza.  Thankfully.  Im sure there might have been post flu complications, if that only means a long recovery.  That’s the nature of the beast. 
I lost 3 past co-workers to Covid. I lost a neighbor and friend who had no co-morbidities. Since the vaccine and boosters have been implemented: I have 2 close friends both very ill and requiring paxlovid to reduce symptoms.
My 32 yr old nephew had mild covid only to get a post Covid related health issue.  Autoimmune enecephalitis. Ventilation. Touch and go in ICU for a week.  Thank god he lived and is recovering. He will have seizure issues in his future along with 4 crushed vertebrae due to his encephalitis seizures. but he is alive.  
so— with that being said, it’s always best not to possibly be a spreader of anything.  But hands down for me, influenza is not equal to Covid. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cachecara said:

As an OMG 40+ yr career nurse working in the field and not with paper: I’ve never encountered anyone that has died directly from influenza.  Thankfully.  Im sure there might have been post flu complications, if that only means a long recovery.  That’s the nature of the beast. 
I lost 3 past co-workers to Covid. I lost a neighbor and friend who had no co-morbidities. Since the vaccine and boosters have been implemented: I have 2 close friends both very ill and requiring paxlovid to reduce symptoms.
My 32 yr old nephew had mild covid only to get a post Covid related health issue.  Autoimmune enecephalitis. Ventilation. Touch and go in ICU for a week.  Thank god he lived and is recovering. He will have seizure issues in his future along with 4 crushed vertebrae due to his encephalitis seizures. but he is alive.  
so— with that being said, it’s always best not to possibly be a spreader of anything.  But hands down for me, influenza is not equal to Covid. 

I just looked it up, CDC reports that over the last 10 years there has been an average of 36,000 deaths due to influenza per year so people do die of the seasonal flu. No doubt that there have way more deaths with Covid which we all knew. 

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I just looked it up, CDC reports that over the last 10 years there has been an average of 36,000 deaths due to influenza per year so people do die of the seasonal flu. No doubt that there have way more deaths with Covid which we all knew. 

Plus, pre vaccines and modern meds the only way to control flu was my mass quarantining. To stem the tide of "Spanish" flu, which actually started in the USA, the authorities sealed off entire towns in the USA. The death rate in that outbreak was in the millions - more in 1919 than in the whole of WW1. Annual flu jabs and modern meds have continued to keep flu under control and hopefully Covid will gradually decrease in the same way. Keeping up with the vaccines will greatly speed up the process and continue to reduce the death rates.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:06 AM, Nicole&Pete said:

Hello all,

2 issues here..  first it takes a few days after contact to have enough virus to show on PCR so the many who contact covid enroute to the ship will not be caught. 

PCR takes longer to get results and it is quite expensive. 

On 7/21/2022 at 5:23 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

I think I’ll do the same thing on our upcoming Greenland/Iceland B2B on the Summit in a few weeks just to see what the difference might be. Of course, I won’t know the “why”, but at least it will be interesting to see if there is a significant count difference.

We have friends b/b on the same G/I Summit cruise.  Looking forward to your info;  hoping numbers don't correlate to covid for their (and your) sake.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gold1953 said:

2 issues here..  first it takes a few days after contact to have enough virus to show on PCR so the many who contact covid enroute to the ship will not be caught. 

PCR takes longer to get results and it is quite expensive. 

That is true maybe that would not work then as if you get it on the plane it’s unlikely to show up.  I know some cruise lines do a test 2-3 days before and then 1 at the port. This would make embarkation very slow but it would catch more live cases. I have recently been on a cruise where people tested at home and then flew several thousand miles to the cruise, but surely the long flight is a likely place to catch the virus? I don’t think there are any good options to be honest, the thought of having to move cabin and isolate on a cruise does not appeal to me I have to say. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I don’t think there are any good options to be honest, the thought of having to move cabin and isolate on a cruise does not appeal to me I have to say. 

Agree. This is why we decided to cancel our Nov 22 cruise this year and will wait and see what "awaits" us next year. At least Celebrity allowed us to keep our FCC and apply it for next year. That was a positive 😉

On 8/2/2022 at 1:33 AM, TrulyBlonde said:

Agree. This is why we decided to cancel our Nov 22 cruise this year and will wait and see what "awaits" us next year. At least Celebrity allowed us to keep our FCC and apply it for next year. That was a positive 😉

That’s really good of them! Hopefully by next year they will at least let you isolate in your cabin or not at all.