from Princess regarding new CDC rules

sunsetme

The termination of the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters is welcome news for Princess and other cruise lines operating in the U.S. and we applaud the CDC’s decision as it places cruising on par with other travel, hospitality and entertainment industry operators.

We will review these updated guidelines but please note there are no immediate changes to our operations. We will keep our guests and travel advisor partners apprised of any updates as information becomes available. In the meantime, please continue to use our website and the booked guest notices received as a guide for upcoming voyages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

I think all cruise lines are going to be under a lot of pressure to at least drop the pre-cruise test requirement. It’s expensive for passengers, inconvenient, and they are the only tourist entity requiring it. Also, it’s interesting that the Princess “book with confidence” program is scheduled to end 9/30/2022. One more reason why they may drop the requirement at least after that date.

• Like 2

I am by no means a COVID denier.  I am vax and prefer to be.  I am careful and will mask up when in crowded spaces.  That said, the pre-cruise test is nothing but show.  It is meaningless.  Many folks will test before traveling to the ship risking exposure.  Every port you risk exposure.  Most folks do not test positive for days after getting covid.  Such testing is useless.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

So, testing three days before a cruise is just theatre. Do away with it. 

But, testing immediately before boarding is undoubtedly the best option. However,  I don't see the cruise lines reverting back to that  protocol.

• Like 2

Ok as the OP @sunsetme has noted this thread is about the new CDC decision on pre departure testing and Princess’ response to it.  That information is of importance to many of us.  Let’s keep the thread on topic to prevent the thread being locked.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The cruise lines are playing CYA again by waiting for further CDC guidelines, even though they no longer have to follow them, but they also want to fill their ships now and be profitable. They can be very slow to change, so Royal C. still had vaccinated/unvaccinated venues 8 months or so after we knew that breakthrough infections were common, and NCL is still sailing at 100% vaccinated even with vaccination having little preventative effect on omicron. They're also caught in a dilemma over quarantine, which takes up lots of rooms and costs them lots of money to pay for post-cruise quarantine in hotels, and it deters people from cruises who don't want to risk forced quarantine, but then no quarantine or voluntary quarantine also risks larger outbreaks with the current variant, so it will definitely be a complicated and fluid mess. Then there will be the issue for crew, who are having outbreaks despite masking in front of passengers, so if the lines want to reflect the rest of the service industry, they should make masking optional for crew, especially for outside venues. 

15 hours ago, milolii said:

Ok as the OP @sunsetme has noted this thread is about the new CDC decision on pre departure testing and Princess’ response to it.  That information is of importance to many of us.  Let’s keep the thread on topic to prevent the thread being locked.  

It seems they just delete obnoxious posts.  Also, this thread may as well be locked as what there is to say about PCL's response to the CDC change has been said and the PCL initial response posted.  Until PCL publishes an update, there is nothing to discuss other than endless speculation.  So, that naturally devolves into discussions of testing pros & cons.

• Like 5

From P&O

"Testing requirements

For holidays from 24 July 2022

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing."

Until recently P&O required a certificate to confirm a negative antigen test.  From 24 July they will just ask you to confirm you have done a test.  

Hoping Southampton goes the way Princess is going in Sydney/Brisbane which is attestation to a self administered antigen test within 24 hrs of embarkation 

Edited by Ombud
Underline
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

From P&O

"Testing requirements

For holidays from 24 July 2022

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing."

Until recently P&O required a certificate to confirm a negative antigen test.  From 24 July they will just ask you to confirm you have done a test.  

I'm liking this one.  Do an un-proctored self-test.  Easy-peasy.  But it might not be a bad idea if the cruise lines backed it up with random selection of guests for an antigen test just to make sure folks are being honest when they say they did a test.  

• Like 9

Here's a question for all, and I am serious in my query. 

In light of the CDC and even the highest level of our government touting the effectiveness of the vaccines and therapeutics, at what level of the endemic should wholesale testing of people who are not sick be dropped?

Locally, our there hasn't been an ICU-level of covid for several weeks, but I still see people outdoors, and even by themselves in a car, wearing a mask.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Here's a question for all, and I am serious in my query. 

In light of the CDC and even the highest level of our government touting the effectiveness of the vaccines and therapeutics, at what level of the endemic should wholesale testing of people who are not sick be dropped?

Locally, our there hasn't been an ICU-level of covid for several weeks, but I still see people outdoors, and even by themselves in a car, wearing a mask.

Hopefully this latest step back for cruise lines is the second last one and won't be all that long before the final step to normalcy occurs.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But it might not be a bad idea if the cruise lines backed it up with random selection of guests for an antigen test just to make sure folks are being honest when they say they did a test.  

That proves nothing. 

You can be negative when you test yourself on Thursday, but positive on the Saturday when you embark.

How does that keep people honest?  

Edited by Billish
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

at what level of the endemic should wholesale testing of people who are not sick be dropped?

Well, in the UK that has already  happened.  There is no wholesale testing of people. And no wholesale in virtually every European country either.

What are you talking about ? 

• Like 1