Seriously thinking of booking a Windstar cruise, things to know?

LB_NJ

I have had it with the huge ships (especially the Royal line).  Have done Princess, Cunard, Royal, and Oceania.  Really liked Oceania Insignia.

So thinking it might be worth spending a little more and going on Windstar this winter in the Caribbean.

Is there anything I should know before booking the cruise? 

Such as whether to book direct or use a travel agent (I don't have what I would consider a "good" travel agent so I would have to find one first)?

Anything else I should know, like is it really better to get all-inclusive rather than pay as you go, we are NOT big drinkers (we would be hard pressed to finish 2 bottles of wine we would bring onboard for a 7 day cruise)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Seriously thinking of booking a Windstar cruise, things to know?

Hi, We hope you enjoy your cruise. We are devoted WS alumni. We have done 26 cruises, all but one have been on the sailing ships. The Caribbean like Tahiti, for us screams sailing ships,  I am sure some will disagree but we have a prejudice, sailing. What we love: the size, the roominess of the decks, elegant but not ostentatious, gentleness of the seas sailing, all ships with WS have great service, great food, and great friendliness. Cabins on the sailing ships have lovely cabins but smaller than the motor yachts and port holes and no balconies but beautifully laid out for comfort and storage. We never take the all inclusive package because we are not heavy drinkers maybe 4 drinks a day between the 2 of us, never more. We do not want WI-FI plus it is not reliable, we can get WI-FI on land if need be. We buy the laundry service when need be, the best, for 2 week cruises. We love the small ports. So much to love. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 2

We've been on 10 Windstar cruises incl two b to b on the Surf. We have booked with them directly ( also had two cancellations due to covid anxieties) and had no problems. We recommend booking the Wind Surf for the carib. The sails are unique and sail aways can't be matched. We also suggest wine by the bottle. They will also save unfinished bottles for next meal.  You will spend quite a bit more for the all in package unless you drink a lot and do a lot of laundry. Our only negative with them is having to fly from the west coast to a carib. island to board. We go a day ahead and sometimes stay a day after too. Not a problem before covid.

Shop around for a TA that will give you some OBC 

Sail on the Wind Surf out of St. Maarten.  Your first cruise on Windstar in the Caribbean should be with sails.

Book a Star Collector cruise, you will get the laundry package for free.  You will only need one suit case and you will come home with no laundry to do.

Fly in a day early and stay at the Holland House with a room facing the bay.  Wake up early and see the Wind Surf sail in.  Take the water taxi from the Holland House to the ship.  You can walk to the ship from the Holland House, but the water taxi over is fun.

I think there are still some cabins available on the 12/27/22 18 day sailing on the Surf.  Spend New Years at sea

• Like 1

Agree with J&MSails, some terrific suggestions. As I said Caribbean is for sails. If you have one night before Holland House is terrific, nice beach, great dinners, wake up and see the Surf. If you are  2+ nights before as we are coming from New England we love the Divi, nice rooms on the beach, nice restaurants, great pools, lots of outside dining and wake up and with your morning latte wall across the parking lot and see the masts. We also love the water taxi next door to the Holland House. We did before covid stay one night after the cruise it was always at the Holland House. 18 days is dreamy, we crossed the Pacific 19 days blissful. Due to our alumni status we get the laundry service for free it is great. I travel with a European size carry on and a big purse voilà always clean clothes! If you go you must let us know how much you loved it. Happy Sailing. 

WINDSTAR appears to be a No Brainer for your wants and needs.
You will NOT be sailing with 5000 of your best friends. Because the numbers are small on both the Sailing Ships and the Yachts lines are minimal for everything. (embarkation, disembarkation, dinner, tours, and assistance from Guest Services-which always has a SMILE for you).

The attitude of the crew is is fantabulous and they are very pro-active attending to problems before they occur or escalate. Dining is CASUAL and the service and food will Not disappoint.

Find a GOOD TRAVEL AGENT.....   NOT an order taker.

Now GO and Book ! ! !

On 7/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, Strenz said:

Hi, We hope you enjoy your cruise. We are devoted WS alumni. We have done 26 cruises, all but one have been on the sailing ships. The Caribbean like Tahiti, for us screams sailing ships,  I am sure some will disagree but we have a prejudice, sailing. What we love: the size, the roominess of the decks, elegant but not ostentatious, gentleness of the seas sailing, all ships with WS have great service, great food, and great friendliness. Cabins on the sailing ships have lovely cabins but smaller than the motor yachts and port holes and no balconies but beautifully laid out for comfort and storage. We never take the all inclusive package because we are not heavy drinkers maybe 4 drinks a day between the 2 of us, never more. We do not want WI-FI plus it is not reliable, we can get WI-FI on land if need be. We buy the laundry service when need be, the best, for 2 week cruises. We love the small ports. So much to love. Happy Sailing. 

Having sailed with Windstar ourselves numerous times your comments and thought are spot on ! ! !

On 7/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, Strenz said:

Agree with J&MSails, some terrific suggestions. As I said Caribbean is for sails. If you have one night before Holland House is terrific, nice beach, great dinners, wake up and see the Surf. If you are  2+ nights before as we are coming from New England we love the Divi, nice rooms on the beach, nice restaurants, great pools, lots of outside dining and wake up and with your morning latte wall across the parking lot and see the masts. We also love the water taxi next door to the Holland House. We did before covid stay one night after the cruise it was always at the Holland House. 18 days is dreamy, we crossed the Pacific 19 days blissful. Due to our alumni status we get the laundry service for free it is great. I travel with a European size carry on and a big purse voilà always clean clothes! If you go you must let us know how much you loved it. Happy Sailing. 

Have stayed at both Holland House and the Divi.  Like both.  Holland House is small and may be hard to get in but in walking distance to the ship. Nice waterfront area. We  always travel a day early duel to possible travel interruptions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, 45640 said:

WINDSTAR appears to be a No Brainer for your wants and needs.
You will NOT be sailing with 5000 of your best friends. Because the numbers are small on both the Sailing Ships and the Yachts lines are minimal for everything. (embarkation, disembarkation, dinner, tours, and assistance from Guest Services-which always has a SMILE for you).

The attitude of the crew is is fantabulous and they are very pro-active attending to problems before they occur or escalate. Dining is CASUAL and the service and food will Not disappoint.

Find a GOOD TRAVEL AGENT.....   NOT an order taker.

Now GO and Book ! ! !

Sounds like a no brainer

On 7/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, LB_NJ said:

I have had it with the huge ships (especially the Royal line).  Have done Princess, Cunard, Royal, and Oceania.  Really liked Oceania Insignia.

So thinking it might be worth spending a little more and going on Windstar this winter in the Caribbean.

Is there anything I should know before booking the cruise? 

Such as whether to book direct or use a travel agent (I don't have what I would consider a "good" travel agent so I would have to find one first)?

Anything else I should know, like is it really better to get all-inclusive rather than pay as you go, we are NOT big drinkers (we would be hard pressed to finish 2 bottles of wine we would bring onboard for a 7 day cruise)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Not sure if it is any better than Oceania, but the not to miss on the wind star wind surf we were on was the barbecue dinner buffet and the crew talent show.  We also liked the ship docked close to the towns we were visiting.  

46 minutes ago, ALKID said:

Not sure if it is any better than Oceania, but the not to miss on the wind star wind surf we were on was the barbecue dinner buffet and the crew talent show.  We also liked the ship docked close to the towns we were visiting.  

......and with only 300 or less sailing everything is NOT as complicated. Also, because of the size of any of the ships docking and ports of call are NOT as restricted providing better and More Unique Itineraries ! ! !

After decades of numerous cruises on the mainstream, big boats, Celebrity, Princess, & NCL, mostly in top tier suites, my wife and I started ponying the big bucks for the much smaller, more independent lines, Paul G, Silverseas, Seabourn, & Windstar, sort of skipping the Regent, Azamara, & Oceana lines

Now we can't go back

And nothing against Silverseas and or the Paul G, they are terrific quality high tier vacation choices, (though we dislike Seaborne) we just love love love the Windstar product most

It's the cruise STAFF and the FOLKSY ATTENTIVE PERSONALIZED SERVICE that makes the difference for us, plus the way more casual on board attire, and the back of ship waterspouts platform, thus we describe WS as being luxurious without the 'tude, elitism, and pretension, you might find on the likes of Seaborne and or Silverseas, and all at a better sailing price than say the Sea Dream, etc 

Our first cruise post COVID was in Tahiti on the refurbished Breeze, which was our fave cruise ever to date, and we just loved the new ship layout and the french balconies, but we still adore the Surf and its small inside porthole cabins and are taking it a 7 day Rome to Venice this October, giving up on big suites on big ships for the more preferred small ship experience where we literally are never in our cabin anyway except to shower and sleep pretty well living out on deck, drink in hand, socializing...

Good luck in your vacation search

JC

Toronto   

1 hour ago, Wilcoam said:

After decades of numerous cruises on the mainstream, big boats, Celebrity, Princess, & NCL, mostly in top tier suites, my wife and I started ponying the big bucks for the much smaller, more independent lines, Paul G, Silverseas, Seabourn, & Windstar, sort of skipping the Regent, Azamara, & Oceana lines

Now we can't go back

And nothing against Silverseas and or the Paul G, they are terrific quality high tier vacation choices, (though we dislike Seaborne) we just love love love the Windstar product most

It's the cruise STAFF and the FOLKSY ATTENTIVE PERSONALIZED SERVICE that makes the difference for us, plus the way more casual on board attire, and the back of ship waterspouts platform, thus we describe WS as being luxurious without the 'tude, elitism, and pretension, you might find on the likes of Seaborne and or Silverseas, and all at a better sailing price than say the Sea Dream, etc 

Our first cruise post COVID was in Tahiti on the refurbished Breeze, which was our fave cruise ever to date, and we just loved the new ship layout and the french balconies, but we still adore the Surf and its small inside porthole cabins and are taking it a 7 day Rome to Venice this October, giving up on big suites on big ships for the more preferred small ship experience where we literally are never in our cabin anyway except to shower and sleep pretty well living out on deck, drink in hand, socializing...

Good luck in your vacation search

JC

Toronto   

We too have opted to the aura of the smaller vessels. Windstar, Azamara, and Oceania all afford comfortable, relaxing and Unassuming experiences with attentive crews and staff that are very Pro-Active and attentive. Yes, we do not need the attitudes that sometimes prevail on Seabourn .....

Add to that the more unique itineraries ! ! !

• Like 1

Interesting.... we have taken two Seabourn cruises and two Windstar and we love them both. Have never notice any "attitude" on Seabourn and have thought both of the staffs were lovely and attentive. We decide between them for the itinerary and convenience but love them both. 

6 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

Interesting.... we have taken two Seabourn cruises and two Windstar and we love them both. Have never notice any "attitude" on Seabourn and have thought both of the staffs were lovely and attentive. We decide between them for the itinerary and convenience but love them both. 

The attitude that I was referring to was mot from the Crew or Staff. They are terrific and always there to serve and aid. There is always a faction of those that flaunt that they are entitled. Just a Faction.... But, enough if there is an option with similar itineraries . . . that will push our travels in a different direction.

Yes, we too are primarily itinerary driven.

2 hours ago, 45640 said:

The attitude that I was referring to was mot from the Crew or Staff. They are terrific and always there to serve and aid. There is always a faction of those that flaunt that they are entitled. Just a Faction.... But, enough if there is an option with similar itineraries . . . that will push our travels in a different direction.

Yes, we too are primarily itinerary driven.

We had similar observation on Regent.

13 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

We had similar observation on Regent.

I see it with all the 'luxury' cruise line forums on CC.  That's why I'm much happier on the premium lines, where people are happy with quality and not demanding perfection at every turn.  😀 

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I see it with all the 'luxury' cruise line forums on CC.  That's why I'm much happier on the premium lines, where people are happy with quality and not demanding perfection at every turn.  😀 

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sisters and Brothers please stand and voice with a resounding sound "A M E N "

• Like 2

Just flew home today from an 18 day Tahiti cruise and it knocked our socks off just as the same cruise did 3 years ago- everything but the food. The quality really suffered. The selection in Amphora was not what it was before- I'm a seafood person and I gave up on it after three tries of fishy tasting, mushy seafood. Beef was tough except for the filet mignon in Candles. Desserts  nothing special, creme brulee in Candles was poor- not what it was 3 years ago. Even Caesar salad was soggy- looked and tasted like it was prepared several hours prior, and our waiter said it actually was! Candles however was terrific- those seafood spears and spicy cauliflower drive me  crazy- so good.

I hate to say anything negative about WS- it's still my favorite cruise line for the ambiance, service and ships. I think this particular cruise was just off- new chef who I think is trying very hard to please too. But I recommended this particular cruise to  3 couples- all were crazy about WS after the introduction but all had the same reaction to the food- disappointed after I'd raved so much about it. 🥵 Of course I'm eager to sail again with them despite this "off" experience. I truly believe it was a fluke.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Just flew home today from an 18 day Tahiti cruise and it knocked our socks off just as the same cruise did 3 years ago- everything but the food. The quality really suffered. The selection in Amphora was not what it was before- I'm a seafood person and I gave up on it after three tries of fishy tasting, mushy seafood. Beef was tough except for the filet mignon in Candles. Desserts  nothing special, creme brulee in Candles was poor- not what it was 3 years ago. Even Caesar salad was soggy- looked and tasted like it was prepared several hours prior, and our waiter said it actually was! Candles however was terrific- those seafood spears and spicy cauliflower drive me  crazy- so good.

I hate to say anything negative about WS- it's still my favorite cruise line for the ambiance, service and ships. I think this particular cruise was just off- new chef who I think is trying very hard to please too. But I recommended this particular cruise to  3 couples- all were crazy about WS after the introduction but all had the same reaction to the food- disappointed after I'd raved so much about it. 🥵 Of course I'm eager to sail again with them despite this "off" experience. I truly believe it was a fluke.

Welcome home!

Partly because of you and your raves about Tahiti, we decided on a January 2024 cruise doing a back to back starting in Auckland, around New Zealand, up to Lautoka and ending in Tahiti. We love the sails but it's Star Breeze for this sailing which we haven't ever done so it will be fun and interesting. Once we get a bit closer (we have Wind Surf in September and Oceania Marina in January 2023) I will pick your brain about all there is to see and do in Tahiti!

13 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Sorry to hear that the food was a disappointment! We're about ready to put a deposit on an 11-day Tahiti cruise on Wind Spirit for Nov. 2023. I'll assume that the food issues will be worked out by then. I hope anyway!

Would love to hear more about your cruise. I've cruised French Polynesia twice before, both times on the Paul Gauguin, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it on a Windstar cruise.

I do not think  you will regret a Wind Spirit cruise. There is nothing like the feeling of watching those sails unfurl and feel the breeze (OK, sometimes even wind) on your skin. And the sunrises! Had a full moon too while we were onboard. As long as you are prepared for some quiet evenings and sea days you'll be content. We can always find a spot on Wind Spirit to enjoy the friendly atmosphere. You can enjoy the company of others or enjoy a book in a cozy spot on deck or in the lounge. Be prepared for evenings with a solo entertainer, maybe some dancing, or the infamous crew show. No elevator but we like the feel of a sailing ship and walking up a few decks to have breakfast/lunch. The show in Bora Bora with dinner is phenomenal as the dinner. Had a guest speaker who was enjoyable.

Mostly we like to snorkel and what could be better than Tahiti. The ships tours are fine but the independent tours are even better. I can recommend the ones we used and were most pleased with.

The dining this time was a disappointment but 3 years ago was incredible. I think WS just has to get up to snuff post COVID, and new chef comfortable. Because we were on the 18 day we were able to partake in Candles more than the two nights allowed and it was out of this world.

The best part is the CREW! So personable and wonderful. Everyone knows your name on the first day and treat you like a treasured guest. They all wore masks the whole cruise and I regret not seeing their kind faces.

Met so many nice people who were very comfortable to be around- the ambiance was just right.

Please ask any questions you'd like answered.