Aer Lingus cancels Silversea

chrism23

I just heard from my Cruise Consultant that Aer Lingus has cancelled its contract with Silver Sea.  This makes me really happy because for the moment I am stranded in Iceland.  From prior experience they will straighten it out.  I have a great CC.  But if you are flying Aer Lingus you might want to get on the phone.

14 hours ago, cruisr said:

Were you supposed to be on Aer Lingus?  Why are you stranded and what has SS air done for you so far?  When are you expected to get unstranded, so to speak.

Right.  I was suppose to be on Aer Lingus from Reykjavik to Boston, non stop, in late August.   I booked through SS.  I always fly Business class.  SS usually offers a significant discount, a couple of thousand bucks, for B-Class.  I am not stranded, perhaps a poor choice of words.  I will start searching today for another carrier.  No doubt I  will easily find one.  This is sort of funny, when SS cancelled they rerouted me through Paris as an alternative for the same price.   My response was naturally " you have got to be kidding me".    So, with SS out of the picture, no discounts, and a lot more money I will easily find a way home.  A cautionary warning for folks booking air, probably anywhere.  I went on the Aer Lingus site to see what I could do.  A B-Class ticket was $3000 more ($5k versus 2k) than what I was going to pay with SS.  And here is the rub, there were only 2 seats left.  From this I deduce that it is very important,  if you are flying this summer, to book your tickets as early as possible. Non stop if at all possible.   Of course, one will have to expect cancellations, delays, rerouting and all things that makes flying in the time of Covid so much fun.  

Well I am glad you are not stranded.  I am confused as Aer Lingus does not fly non stop from Iceland to Boston.  The only non stops are on a Low cost carrier, FlyPlay and Iceland Air.  Just a word of caution if you have not flown Iceland Air, their J class (business class) seats are not lie flat.  They are like US first class flights and are recliner seats, with a foot rest.   I went to the Aer Lingus site and can’t get KEF (the airport code for Reykjavik airport) and they don’t show that even service Iceland.

Once the only way we could get to Bangkok (living in California) we had to fly to Frankfurt, with layover connecting to Bangkok.  Nice lounge in Frankfurt, took shower to freshen up)—-It was crazy but we had fun making it part of the Holiday.  Being retired we had the time.

• 2 weeks later...