Bringing Wine on Board

VAWCB

I understand that I can bring two bottles of wine onto the ship (July 24 Summit) upon embarkation.  My question is whether the bottles need to be in hand luggage or if I can just pack them in the suitcase which will be given to the porter at the pier?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Pack them in a suitcase, and you may have to reclaim them in 'luggage jail' since they won't know what they're seeing in the x-ray, and want you present to open up your bags to make sure you didn't bring aboard a couple of 750s of Smirnoff.  So definitely recommend carry-on.

You can now take two bottles per person aboard, not just two per cabin.  If you have any of the drink packages either due to 'Always Included' fare or a purchased package, Celebrity is now waiving the corkage charge if you bring them with you from your cabin for a meal or whatever in public space aboard the ship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Pack them in a suitcase, and you may have to reclaim them in 'luggage jail' since they won't know what they're seeing in the x-ray, and want you present to open up your bags to make sure you didn't bring aboard a couple of 750s of Smirnoff.  So definitely recommend carry-on.

You can now take two bottles per person aboard, not just two per cabin.  If you have any of the drink packages either due to 'Always Included' fare or a purchased package, Celebrity is now waiving the corkage charge if you bring them with you from your cabin for a meal or whatever in public space aboard the ship.

The new Celebrity policy says if you do not have a beverage package there is a mandatory corkage fee.  Wine or liquor found in suitcases is held until the end of your cruise unless you convincingly plead ignorance and pay the corkage fee for wine.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

1) The new Celebrity policy says if you do not have a beverage package there is a mandatory corkage fee.  2) Wine or liquor found in suitcases is held until the end of your cruise unless you convincingly plead ignorance and pay the corkage fee for wine.

1) There has always, until now, been a corkage fee for bringing your own wine to a restaurant or other public venue.  There is now and never has been a corkage fee for consuming your wine by pouring it yourself in your cabin.  That's not new.  I was very specific to note "If you have any of the drink packages", that the corkage fee (that has always existed) is waived.

2) Re wine, entirely untrue.  You are allowed your bottles of wine regardless of how they arrive on the ship, and no automatic corkage charge occurs just by bringing your limited number of bottles aboard.  See #1.  That said, you'll likely be asked to come down and claim it from your checked luggage.  Again, they technically have no idea what is in the bottles, and will await the passenger's arrival for the inspection to occur.  OTOH, any booze found in checked luggage during that inspection is held until the end of the cruise as has always been the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

1) There has always, until now, been a corkage fee for bringing your own wine to a restaurant or other public venue.  There is now and never has been a corkage fee for consuming your wine by pouring it yourself in your cabin.  That's not new.  I was very specific to note "If you have any of the drink packages", that the corkage fee (that has always existed) is waived.

2) Re wine, entirely untrue.  You are allowed your bottles of wine regardless of how they arrive on the ship, and no automatic corkage charge occurs just by bringing your limited number of bottles aboard.  See #1.  That said, you'll likely be asked to come down and claim it from your checked luggage.  Again, they technically have no idea what is in the bottles, and will await the passenger's arrival for the inspection to occur.  OTOH, any booze found in checked luggage during that inspection is held until the end of the cruise as has always been the case.

You are correct!

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The new Celebrity policy says if you do not have a beverage package there is a mandatory corkage fee.  Wine or liquor found in suitcases is held until the end of your cruise unless you convincingly plead ignorance and pay the corkage fee for wine.

Not so…you don’t pay a corkage just because wine is brought on board.  Corkage is only incurred when wine is consumed outside the stateroom and then only if you do not have a beverage package

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Corkage fee is only if you take it to a restaurant. 
You are also welcome to bring on two bottles per person of wine at embarkation. I prefer to take it in my carry-on so that I don't have to go claim my suitcases with wine in them from Celebrity. If you take them in the carry-on, it just goes through the screening machine and you're on your way, no corkage fee. 

Edited by Peteymil

14 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Not so…you don’t pay a corkage just because wine is brought on board.  Corkage is only incurred when wine is consumed outside the stateroom and then only if you do not have a beverage package

Also no corkage fee for pouring a glass of wine in your stateroom and drinking it elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Does anyone know if the wine supply is improving? I’m specifically asking about Apex, but the question applies to other ships?

They had every wine I requested this week on Infinity so I had no need of the wine I brought on board just in case

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Where did you get this stunning incorrect information?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

They had every wine I requested this week on Infinity so I had no need of the wine I brought on board just in case

That's fantastic and I hope it'll hold for at least three more weeks when we board Millie.

10 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

One more time.

You can bring 2 bottles of wine on board in your carryon stuff.

If you do not have a beverage package there is a corkage fee to bring it on board.  This is a change in policy. 

Writing this again doesn't make it accurate. You're still wrong. There is no corkage fee, regardless of beverage package, to consume your wine in your own cabin.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

One more time.

You can bring 2 bottles of wine on board in your carryon stuff.

If you do not have a beverage package there is a corkage fee to bring it on board.  This is a change in policy. 

No!  The fee is only if you take the bottles to a restaurant or bar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

No!  The fee is only if you take the bottles to a restaurant or bar.

Suggest you read the new policy.  It recently changed.   The change is under FAQ before your cruise under alcohol policy.  Corkage fee if no beverage package.  Doesn't matter where you drink.

47 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Did you mean to say "not now"?

Indeed I did.  Sorry.  Hate typing on phones!  Would rather communicate on the old Olivetti manual I used to learn touch typing back in the 60s!

Anyone else remember

asdf jkl; asdf jkl; ???

• Like 1

Corkage fee only if you do not have a beverage package and you take the bottled wine to a dining room or bar.  Just like before no fee if you consume in you cabin.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Suggest you read the new policy.  It recently changed.   The change is under FAQ before your cruise under alcohol policy.  Corkage fee if no beverage package.  Doesn't matter where you drink.

The FAQ reads:  Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guests. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. Security may inspect containers (including water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, canteens, etc.) at any time and will dispose of alcohol concealed in such containers. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports of call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship's personnel. Alcohol secured by ship's personnel will be returned to guests just prior to the conclusion of their cruise vacation. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

I've not heard of anyone being charged corkage fee for bringing on 2 bottles and drinking in your stateroom.  The FAQ says they are "subject to a corkage fee," but I've not heard of anyone being charged with that fee if they did not have the beverage package.

Not explicitly clear, but this is copied directly from my cruise docs for next month on Millie.  It seems to implicitly state that corkage is only for non-drinks package cruisers consuming in a venue outside your room.  So to me, if you have either classic or premium drinks package OR if you consume in your room you should be corkage-free.  At least that's how I read it.

"Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per guest, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with a Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Not explicitly clear, but this is copied directly from my cruise docs for next month on Millie.  It seems to implicitly state that corkage is only for non-drinks package cruisers consuming in a venue outside your room.  So to me, if you have either classic or premium drinks package OR if you consume in your room you should be corkage-free.  At least that's how I read it.

"Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per guest, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with a Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package."

Could not be any clearer.  Thanks for posting.

"... any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue ..."  Same qualifiers as have been in place for decades.

• Like 2

I certainly hope there is no corkage fee for consuming in my cabin. That is crazy. I’m happy to pay a corkage if I take it to a restaurant. I must admit the two bottles I plan to bring on board are not for sipping in the cabin. I broke down and bought the 7 bottle wine package.

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

Indeed I did.  Sorry.  Hate typing on phones!  Would rather communicate on the old Olivetti manual I used to learn touch typing back in the 60s!

Anyone else remember

asdf jkl; asdf jkl; ???

It was asdf ;lkj in my case. 

This is how autocorrect reads it: Asda ;lujan 😆)