Excursion Age Restrictions?

carolina_yankee

Well, Celebrity shorex said no dice. The age 70 restrictions stands. So, we’ll book through another vendor that offers back to ship guarantee and Celebrity won’t get our money for this excursion. We’re also re-evaluating booking with 3rd parties ourselves at other ports so Celebrity won’t get their cut. If they choose to operate this way, I don’t see a point in rewarding them.

Nobody else has an upper age limit for this tour, including HAL, which stereotypically should have plenty of the older types. Bad taste for a first timer. However, we’ll get to our excursions, save money, and have a wonderful cruise with our friends anyway.

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Well, Celebrity shorex said no dice. The age 70 restrictions stands. So, we’ll book through another vendor that offers back to ship guarantee and Celebrity won’t get our money for this excursion. We’re also re-evaluating booking with 3rd parties ourselves at other ports so Celebrity won’t get their cut. If they choose to operate this way, I don’t see a point in rewarding them.

Nobody else has an upper age limit for this tour, including HAL, which stereotypically should have plenty of the older types. Bad taste for a first timer. However, we’ll get to our excursions, save money, and have a wonderful cruise with our friends anyway.

I almost always book with a third party. Less expensive and better. Never came close to missing the ship. That is just fear the cruise lines put out to get you to book with them. 

On 8/16/2022 at 6:28 PM, Virginia100 said:

Some one needs to tell Celebrity that age discrimination is unlawful. Insurance regulations do not preclude. They simply need you to sign a liability release form. Or maybe they are simply too lazy.

Unlawful where? Celebrity does not need to abide by US laws. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, carolina_yankee said:

I was hoping a phone call might resolve it, but I fear the wait times!  Oh well.

It’s still odd because similar excursions through shore excursion group and via tour don’t have the age limit listed. I guess due to steps at Pedro St. James I can understand caution, but there are plenty of healthy and active 70+ Year olds out there and plenty of people in their 50s with bad knees!

Now to decide if I just book 3rd party or want to try through Celebrity. The price differential isn’t too tragic.

I see no reason to not book through a third party vs having to wait on hold for hours when you have other/better things to do than trying to get an exception to a policy which X has no control over.

The examples of those who are fit vs not fit by age group is perfectly valid and support your current desire, yet what has the vendor experienced in its' history dealing with individuals and their fitness who have taken their tour in all age ranges?

Reminds me of a previous thread where the person was very overweight (and slightly over the limit for the tour) and the poster wanted an exemption because the person was very 'fit' as well... Okay.

Enjoy the tour no matter how you end up taking it...

bon voyage

On 8/16/2022 at 7:28 PM, Virginia100 said:

Some one needs to tell Celebrity that age discrimination is unlawful. Insurance regulations do not preclude. They simply need you to sign a liability release form. Or maybe they are simply too lazy.

Maybe someone needs to remind ALL passengers that X is not the final arbiter of who goes on excursions or not, the vendor is and X is only the conduit through which we can book them.

btw: age discrimination will be based on insurance carrier requirements of both X and the providing vendor, with the vendor who has to make the exception, not X...

bon voyage

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I almost always book with a third party. Less expensive and better. Never came close to missing the ship. That is just fear the cruise lines put out to get you to book with them. 

I normally do, too, or just do it on my own. In fact, the only cruise line excursions I’ve taken have been the ones provided as part of the fare for river cruises.  The only thing that moved me here was the Celebrity’s price was very similar to the 3rd party price, and tendering is involved. I just figured if the excursion was through Celebrity, then we’d get tendering priority and it would make things a little easier.

However, the more I think about, the more I think that if the excursion prices are similar, the 3rd party is probably offering something a bit more in-depth or nice than what Celebrity is through their partner. Plus, the excursion will be less crowded with a 3rd party so it will work for the best anyway.

In all honesty, if I could see how to rent a car at the tender dock, that’s what I’d do but from what I’ve read that isn’t offered any more.

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Maybe someone needs to remind ALL passengers that X is not the final arbiter of who goes on excursions or not, the vendor is and X is only the conduit through which we can book them.

btw: age discrimination will be based on insurance carrier requirements of both X and the providing vendor, with the vendor who has to make the exception, not X...

bon voyage

I agree absolutely - and for others reading, I am absolutely not pushing an age discrimination claim. I know how these things work and I’m a big boy who can adapt and roll with the punches. However, I did let Celebrity know my opinion of them being the only cruise line to work with the only provider that puts a top age limit on this excursion and how ridiculous and insulting it was. 

I specifically pointed out that we have several Disney cruises under our belt because we are young at heart and take “active and discovery” river cruises because we like to be on the move. I concluded by wondering if Celebrity would be the right fit for us if they were unable or unwilling to offer the kinds of experiences we would enjoy.  Maybe that and our all-inclusive package will get me a glass of champagne. 🙂

We’re going to have fun regardless, so it will all work out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:14 PM, carolina_yankee said:

We’re also re-evaluating booking with 3rd parties ourselves at other ports so Celebrity won’t get their cut. If they choose to operate this way, I don’t see a point in rewarding them.

Amen!   I have no doubt you will find trustworthy excursion operators who will save you money, get you back to the ship on time, and provide you and your friends with all you should expect and maybe more.  That's been our experience.   Have you joined a FB or CC roll call yet? 

16 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Amen!   I have no doubt you will find trustworthy excursion operators who will save you money, get you back to the ship on time, and provide you and your friends with all you should expect and maybe more.  That's been our experience.   Have you joined a FB or CC roll call yet? 

I was never able to find a FB roll call and the CC one is not active at all!  It would be nice if that meant it’s going to be a very quiet cruise. 😊 

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

You may right. I see the excursions have a note on them at the bottom that says they are a third party vendor and are Not a representative of celebrity. A nice exclusion that frees Celebrity from all claims including injury unless you can prove the vendor selected was incompetent to perform the task.  Tough to prove that. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I understand certain age limits for insurance purposes,  but I've been on that tour (when in my 60's) and it was no big deal at all. I just don't understand that age limit,  and not happy as I intended to go back in January when I'll be 71!!

Would you be willing to waive all liability unless negligence on vendors part.  They are making a business/liability-risk decision.  

I don't like it, but I don't run their company.  They do and have made the business case of losing sales from people 70+ vs losses do to whatever real/perceived liability they would have without the age restriction.

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Would you be willing to waive all liability unless negligence on vendors part.  They are making a business/liability-risk decision.  

I don't like it, but I don't run their company.  They do and have made the business case of losing sales from people 70+ vs losses do to whatever real/perceived liability they would have without the age restriction.

The limits are some policy that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are imposing. I have seen the same excursions offered by other cruise lines without the age restrictions. I don’t worry though about Celebrity’s or Royal Caribbeans restrictions because I usually book direct with the tour operator for the same excursions and I have never had one turn me down because of age. Rarely is  the cruise line the exclusive vendor although I have run into that on rare occasions. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The limits are some policy that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are imposing. I have seen the same excursions offered by other cruise lines without the age restrictions. I don’t worry though about Celebrity’s or Royal Caribbeans restrictions because I usually book direct with the tour operator for the same excursions and I have never had one turn me down because of age. Rarely is  the cruise line the exclusive vendor although I have run into that on rare occasions. 

Just what I said.  They are making a business decision. You are correct too in that another cruise line  or the actual excursion company may not have a restriction on the same excursion.  Remember this is about who wants/is taking on an insurable risk/liability.

The point is Celebrity does have an age restriction and they are running a business.  We too can make a decision.  That the sum of all the benefits of the Celebrity sailing is more than the negatives.  Otherwise we can sail on another cruise line or if possible book directly with excursion vendor.

As to your experience of not being turn down, does not negate the fact that some have or that you wouldn't be turned down if you are older than 70 and want to go on a age restricted excursion via Celebrity in this example.

Life is great with choices and we can curse the wind or harness it for our benefit.

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

As to your experience of not being turn down, does not negate the fact that some have or that you wouldn't be turned down if you are older than 70 and want to go on a age restricted excursion via Celebrity in this example.

I don't do Celebrity excursions so personally their restictions don't effect me. I have been booking independently for years and I am comfortable researching independent tours. I am very good at it.  The problem though is that there are Celebrity passengers who only feel safe booking cruise line excursions. `Who are not into doing the  research. Some believe they will get stranded in port becuase the cruise line markets excursions that way. I read a lot of reviews of independent tours before booking. That takes time.  If I did do ship excursions and was coming up against Celebrity's and Royal Caribbean's busness decison to age restrict then I would have to make a busness decison to book with other than Celebrity/Royal Caribbean. Really easy to do......

In my experience, for every 70 year old that is fit and able; there is a 70 year old that isn't but and either lacks the self awareness or self restraint to not book activities that they can't do. Lacking a physical exam for fitness, you can't blame them for creating and arbitrary cutoff number. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sanger727 said:

In my experience, for every 70 year old that is fit and able; there is a 70 year old that isn't but and either lacks the self awareness or self restraint to not book activities that they can't do. Lacking a physical exam for fitness, you can't blame them for creating and arbitrary cutoff number. 

So you think half of 70 year olds are not fit and able.  Interesting.  Curious if you are in that age bracket (or near it)?  As a 71 year old quite able to snorkel, hike (moderate trails, not strenuous), and many other things I guess I fit in the other 50%, as do probably 90% of my friends and family of the same age range.  I do think there is a logical cutoff age - I just am not convinced 70 is it.  These days many people are living well into the 90's, and quite capable and fit well beyond 70.  Not sure what the stats say - these are my experiences.

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

So you think half of 70 year olds are not fit and able.  Interesting.  Curious if you are in that age bracket (or near it)?  As a 71 year old quite able to snorkel, hike (moderate trails, not strenuous), and many other things I guess I fit in the other 50%, as do probably 90% of my friends and family of the same age range.  I do think there is a logical cutoff age - I just am not convinced 70 is it.  These days many people are living well into the 90's, and quite capable and fit well beyond 70.  Not sure what the stats say - these are my experiences.

I’m not in that age group but my parents are, including one I travel with frequently. Based on my traveling, yes, that’s about right for the over 70s I have encountered. I have no doubt that you are. But we had one trip almost ruined by an over 70 couple that was completely unable to do Peru and Machu pichu. The trip was saved by our tour guide calling a second guide to stay with them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I’m not in that age group but my parents are, including one I travel with frequently. Based on my traveling, yes, that’s about right for the over 70s I have encountered. I have no doubt that you are. But we had one trip almost ruined by an over 70 couple that was completely unable to do Peru and Machu pichu. The trip was saved by our tour guide calling a second guide to stay with them.

That is a strenuous hike and I know many 30 year olds who couldn't handle it, especially given the altitude which can affect anyone at any age, even those in good physical shape. Hardly a realistic benchmark to use.  You also say the "over 70's". At that age there is often eons of differences between someone 70 and someone 79. Revisit this topic when you hit that age and I'm pretty confident you'll have a different opinion.  In the meantime,  have a nice holiday!

• Like 1

I am looking at one that is in St Thomas   Destination Highlight: Amazing Mountain Views and Villa Botanica.     This tour is not suitable for guests who are blind or deaf.   

I am sure that many wouldn’t be suitable for those that are blind, but the blind can do many amazing things.  I am sure that a snorkeling tour wouldn’t be suitable but they could still experience the boat ride, floating in the sea, laying on a beach and feeling the sand under their feet.  

The  blind  could still experience the scents, touch, and sounds.    The deaf could still see everything.  I guess not being suitable doesn’t mean not allowed.  

My daughter is a track coach for the girls team for a middle school.  She had a totally blind runner that was also in a class she had.  She was the best on the team.  There were students from the HS track team that guided her on a tether.     She would walk home from school after practice because the school buses weren’t running .   My daughter would offer a ride but she wouldn’t accept it.   She would also ski down hill on a tether 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

That is a strenuous hike and I know many 30 year olds who couldn't handle it, especially given the altitude which can affect anyone at any age, even those in good physical shape. Hardly a realistic benchmark to use.  You also say the "over 70's". At that age there is often eons of differences between someone 70 and someone 79. Revisit this topic when you hit that age and I'm pretty confident you'll have a different opinion.  In the meantime,  have a nice holiday!

You are correct.  

I am now 76.   3 years ago I was doing Beachbody P 90 X,  Insanity,  Focus , Max 30 and etc.  Biked around 2500 miles per year.  I  never took an elevator on any cruises expect for first and last day because of our carry on.  Then my right hip started to bother me.   I thought it was just something I could stretch out of.    It got worse.  I was limping around like Walter Brennan.   I went to a doctor.   My hip was  totally deteriorated.   I had to have it replaced in 2021.    After that I thought my problems were gone.  This year my left hip had to be replaced.   The 4 th disc in my back has also  deteriorated.    I am still recovering from the hip replacements.  My leg strength still hasn’t recovered.  I would have never thought that 2 years would have had that much affect.  

The doctors tell me I am really doing great and better than most especially for my age. They tell me that I had major surgeries and it takes a lot of time to recover.   I don’t accept that.   I never signed that contract.  

YES there is eons of difference, as I was one that was probably in better shape than many 30 year olds but now limited.   The mind is willing but the body is weak.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅