Just Back from Infinity July 16-23 Cruise

teacherman

We returned today from the Infinity 7 night Western Caribbean cruise.  This will be my "review" of things I think people may be interested in knowing.  The Infinity is one of the older and smaller ships.  There are some places where painting is needed, but we were very pleased with the overall appearance of the ship.  Our  verandah cabin (7177) was very nice and actually felt large to us.  We also thought the bathroom was adequate size and liked the rectangular shaped shower.

Guest services told me that there were 1642 passengers, which is about 75% of capacity.  We were never in any area that felt crowded.  We tend to "socially distance" even without Covid being around.  The only time we were actually close to others was during dinner, when our table for two was approximately 1 foot from another table for two, but other than "hellos" upon being seated, there were no shared conversations.  We are not anti social but simply do not have to always be talking with others.  We never heard any announcements concerning passengers who had Covid.

There seemed to be quite a few new crew members who were not always sure where equipment was located or exactly what they were supposed to do.  But they were all friendly and very eager to please.  Our stateroom attendant and waiters were excellent.  I had to laugh when I asked our sommelier for a certain pinot noir and was offered an inferior type with the comment "It is also from California and they are all the same".  Then why do they charge different prices?

Food was the typical menu for a 7 night cruise.  The dining room only appeared "crowded" on lobster night.   They could not have handled a full capacity ship with the amount of waiters on duty, as the "chaos" of that evening demonstrated.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable cruise and would gladly sail on the Infinity sometime in the future.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

One additional item - We left the ship and went to the airport for a Delta flight.  The Delta terminal was VERY crowded, as so many cruise passengers kept arriving from the several ships.  At 9:00 am, they announced that they would only be checking in passengers who had flights scheduled for before noon.  It would appear that Delta is also short staffed and could not just keep checking in luggage so far ahead of flight times.  Just want to report this as there were not as many ships arriving as there will be in the winter time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the post.   I chuckled at your remarks about California wines all being the same.   I can't imagine a Sommelier actually saying this.    Maybe you should have asked him to try it.    May again being staffing and they just but a bar server in and called him a Sommelier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teacherman said:

At 9:00 am, they announced that they would only be checking in passengers who had flights scheduled for before noon.

That's typical everywhere.  Southwest and American won't accept bags more than 3 hours before a flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the post.   I chuckled at your remarks about California wines all being the same.   I can't imagine a Sommelier actually saying this.    Maybe you should have asked him to try it.    May again being staffing and they just but a bar server in and called him a Sommelier.

On our last few cruises before the pandemic we had two very different experiences. On the Silhouette we had a phenomenal sommelier who said that Celebrity was moving away from truly trained sommeliers to wine stewards. On the Edge, our ‘sommelier’ herself said she really was just ‘learning on the job’. She was trying to soak in as much information as she could. She was honest, and so wanting to learn.  We gave her some tidbits of information that could help her out (hopefully!). 

Just wish Celebrity would have an appropriate position/name for these hard workers so folks can temper their expectations. That being said I would hope that someone working as a wine steward would still not say all California wines are the same 😂

• Like 2

Happy to hear you had a nice time. I'm being tempted by the Rio to Lisbon TA on the Infinity. I was only on Millennium in that class of ship recently, and so am hesitant since I am used to the revolutionized ship.

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can't even imagine a bar server saying that. Perhaps they temporarily promoted someone from laundry who likes to drink a lot. 😂

14 hours ago, teacherman said:

One additional item - We left the ship and went to the airport for a Delta flight.  The Delta terminal was VERY crowded, as so many cruise passengers kept arriving from the several ships.  At 9:00 am, they announced that they would only be checking in passengers who had flights scheduled for before noon.  It would appear that Delta is also short staffed and could not just keep checking in luggage so far ahead of flight times.  Just want to report this as there were not as many ships arriving as there will be in the winter time.

United does the same in FLL. When we flew Newark to FLL on the way down we ended up arriving earlier than three hours and had no issue checking in (we factored in an hour of traffic based on construction overnight and had no delays so we were 4 hours early) early. In FLL they were clear that you couldn't check in until 3 hours before the flight. Unfortunately there is very limited seating outside of security in Terminal 1 and only a Starbucks. Luckily our flight was moved from 6:30pm to 3pm so we had much less of a wait. In an airport where so many passengers are coming off cruise ships early in the morning (especially on the weekends) it seems they would have some more area dedicated to waiting for passengers before security. 

13 hours ago, amcco said:

On our last few cruises before the pandemic we had two very different experiences. On the Silhouette we had a phenomenal sommelier who said that Celebrity was moving away from truly trained sommeliers to wine stewards. On the Edge, our ‘sommelier’ herself said she really was just ‘learning on the job’. She was trying to soak in as much information as she could. She was honest, and so wanting to learn.  We gave her some tidbits of information that could help her out (hopefully!).

Better than my first experience, summer 2019 on the Solstice at Murano.  Sommelier comes over, asks if we'd like to hear his recommendation and which alcohol package we had, we told him yes and premium...Oh boy, lol...He launches into a 60 second sales pitch of why we had to buy his recommendation which of course was not even sold by the glass and was super expensive.  He mentioning if we didn't get this bottle of white we wouldn't enjoy our meal as much because the "flavor profiles" will be off.  We just looked at each other and him with wide open eyes.  We declined and said whatever you think is best that's inclusive of our package, he then launched into another recommendation, this time it was by the glass but was still way over what's included in the package.  Five minutes later, a couple tables down, Sommelier started his pitch at a nearby table and the couple interrupted him by saying they're celebrating something and wanted a bottle of Dom, sommelier said something like "excellent choice sir, it will go perfectly with your meal, I'll get that for you right away".  Come to find out later both the couple and us all ordered the lobster flambé, never did the sommelier offer us Champaign nor did he offer the other couple white.  Just felt very "used car saleman" to us, mentioned it on the survey.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Better than my first experience, summer 2019 on the Solstice at Murano.  Sommelier comes over, asks if we'd like to hear his recommendation and which alcohol package we had, we told him yes and premium...Oh boy, lol...He launches into a 60 second sales pitch of why we had to buy his recommendation which of course was not even sold by the glass and was super expensive.  He mentioning if we didn't get this bottle of white we wouldn't enjoy our meal as much because the "flavor profiles" will be off.  We just looked at each other and him with wide open eyes.  We declined and said whatever you think is best that's inclusive of our package, he then launched into another recommendation, this time it was by the glass but was still way over what's included in the package.  Five minutes later, a couple tables down, Sommelier started his pitch at a nearby table and the couple interrupted him by saying they're celebrating something and wanted a bottle of Dom, sommelier said something like "excellent choice sir, it will go perfectly with your meal, I'll get that for you right away".  Come to find out later both the couple and us all ordered the lobster flambé, never did the sommelier offer us Champaign nor did he offer the other couple white.  Just felt very "used car saleman" to us, mentioned it on the survey.

Oh that’s horrible when that happens. It is not a sales pitch that I need. Just some good pairing recommendations that I can then decide on. Funny how an expensive bottle of Dom gets the nod for the meal lol

Have we bought wine by the glass above the premium price point. Yes we have. Do we do it daily - nope. I would say we have had a mix of good/mediocre. Then I just go with what I like. A robust white with steak - yep it’s what I like 😉

23 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They have eliminated all used car salesmen from car dealerships. They now employee pre-owned car sale representatives.

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We hate that!

Only rarely happens but we do dislike a pushy sommelier! We are quite happy with a sommelier offering wines within our package and making an occasional suggestion for a wine slightly over. We also don’t mind on special occasions paying for a ‘special’ bottle. What we don’t want is a leisurely meal being wrecked by a sales pitch! 

We experienced a pushy sommelier once in Silk Harvest and complained to the M’D. It  is important to report what is unprofessional behaviour. 

On 7/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, teacherman said:

A work around that usually works is to go outside for curbside check-in.  Give the porter a few bucks and you can check-in anytime.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, jwlane said:

That's typical everywhere.  Southwest and American won't accept bags more than 3 hours before a flight.

Good to know.  We mostly fly Southwest but we've never been early enough for a flight to have considered whether it was too early to check our bags.   

On 7/25/2022 at 2:54 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

A work around that usually works is to go outside for curbside check-in.  Give the porter a few bucks and you can check-in anytime.

Both Delta and Southwest denied checking luggage outside for our daughter 4 hours before flight. They told her it was TSA protocol. this was in Atlanta and Baltimore.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, teacherman said:

I had to laugh when I asked our sommelier for a certain pinot noir and was offered an inferior type with the comment "It is also from California and they are all the same".  Then why do they charge different prices?

Seems that their primary job is to separate you from your $$$ first then make recommendations second.  lol

On 7/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, jwlane said:

We’ve had luck checking out bags outside with the Porter, even when getting there at 930 for a 115 flight (our usual process when sailing from FLL).  We then go inside and use the self serve to get boarding passes. 

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Seems that their primary job is to separate you from your $$$ first then make recommendations second.  lol

On three Celebrity cruises (Reflection twice, Millennium once) we have had an excellent experience with the wine sommeliers (four different ones on three cruises).  They were knowledgeable, respectful of our preferences, cognizant of the price thresholds of our premium beverage package and unfailingly polite and helpful.  Just good luck I guess?

Ken