Gosmile teeth whitening at the spa- worth it?

Tuggles123

Sailing on the Panorama in September. I see that there is a half-hour “Gosmile” teeth whitening spa treatment for $104.  I looked into Gosmile and they sell a 7 day home kit for slightly more.  Has anyone done this spa treatment?  Was it worth booking?

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I would not get any procedure like that done on a cruise ship.

Good advice, and for the same reason I wouldn't buy custom foot orthotics. Every cruise I'm offered a "free" consultation when I walk past the entrance to the spa to improve posture and relief from foot and ankle pain. The only relief I get is when I'm no longer in ear shot of the sales pitch 😉 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 8:00 PM, Tuggles123 said:

Sailing on the Panorama in September. I see that there is a half-hour “Gosmile” teeth whitening spa treatment for $104.  I looked into Gosmile and they sell a 7 day home kit for slightly more.  Has anyone done this spa treatment?  Was it worth booking?

No way, they will burn you gums..

• Like 1

I have no experience with the procedure, but I know that of you attend the "pampering mini facial" given on first sea day, you can get a discount ( nearly half off on some things). You do Not have to participate in mini facial. Just attend and book after the presentation. My husband and I saved $100 on massages attending.

You are better off ordering Opalescence gel, mouthtrays, and an activating light from Amazon.  You won't spend more than $60 or $70 and you will get several weeks worth of treatments.  One session probably won't be that effective.

I think it is safe to say that most of the spa treatments on the ship are either ineffective or overpriced (or both).

• Like 4

JMO, but I would prefer any whitening procedure to be done by a professional dentist.  There are just too many potential downsides to having a spa therapist perform it - bleaching, enamel erosion, mouth sores, etc.

• Like 4

Thanks for your responses, friends. But here in the UK, it's a different calculation for me. If it is the gel plus laser, it would cost me £450 (about $550) to do here.

So it's a big saving to do it on board. I had it done on the last cruise we did, and felt it worked well, so just trying to find out if it's the same procedure. Thanks, all.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, staceyglow said:

You are better off ordering Opalescence gel, mouthtrays, and an activating light from Amazon.  You won't spend more than $60 or $70 and you will get several weeks worth of treatments.  One session probably won't be that effective.

I think it is safe to say that most of the spa treatments on the ship are either ineffective or overpriced (or both).

I worked 34 years in the dental office. The light is really not necessary to obtain results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

My professional opinion? Not a chance! Might as well go to a kiosk at the mall.

Use Crest Whitestrips for a couple of weeks prior to the cruise. You'll have equal/better results (for less $) with less likelihood of discomfort or sensitivity which could put a damper on your cruise experience !

I'd also skip any procedure which sounds like it belongs in a doctors office ! Before you know it, they'll be offering liposuction (port day special...)

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EdwardOlf said:

I wouldn't recommend it because it didn't work for me. The taste was horrible, and the price was too high, IMO.

I live in Eastlake, so finding a good and not expensive dentist can be quite difficult, but I totally agree with Elaine5715; if you want to do it right, do a teeth whitening at a professional's office, like a cosmetic dentist in Eastlake Ohio. The Go Smile teeth whitening I did also lasted for a few hours, but an actual whitening at the dentist lasted around 3 years. It also wasn't painful at all, compared to the Go Smile treatment, which burned my gums.

1 hour ago, EdwardOlf said:

I live in Eastlake, so finding a good and not expensive dentist can be quite difficult, but I totally agree with Elaine5715; if you want to do it right, do a teeth whitening at a professional's office, like a cosmetic dentist in Eastlake Ohio. The Go Smile teeth whitening I did also lasted for a few hours, but an actual whitening at the dentist lasted around 3 years. It also wasn't painful at all, compared to the Go Smile treatment, which burned my gums.

Some degree of that initial whitening (Go Smile) was likely do to desiccation of the enamel. As the tooth rehydrates, it will darken slightly.

Tom