Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

3 hours ago, topnole said:

I like my coffee room temperature.  Most people think I’m crazy for that.  

This entire thread has been fascinating, but this is amazing.  I thought that I was all alone in the world! To be fair though, I'm good with most temperatures of coffee as long it's not piping hot.  At a restaurant where there is no time for it to cool itself down and I can tell that the coffee is strong enough to handle a little watering down, I'm putting ice in that sucker. 

17 minutes ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

This entire thread has been fascinating, but this is amazing.  I thought that I was all alone in the world! To be fair though, I'm good with most temperatures of coffee as long it's not piping hot.  At a restaurant where there is no time for it to cool itself down and I can tell that the coffee is strong enough to handle a little watering down, I'm putting ice in that sucker. 

On a cruise it is double espresso with a little ice for me.  You are not alone!!  😂

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

I don't like food or drink served piping hot.  It drives my wife crazy with I don't touch my coffee for over an hour and then drink it like it is a soda.  Food, I'm happy if it is just a little above warm. Hence, I do like a good buffet.  

My dad would almost throw his food and/or drink at the server if it wasn't hot enough to burn asbestos. 

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I don't like food or drink served piping hot.  It drives my wife crazy with I don't touch my coffee for over an hour and then drink it like it is a soda.  Food, I'm happy if it is just a little above warm. Hence, I do like a good buffet.  

My dad would almost throw his food and/or drink at the server if it wasn't hot enough to burn asbestos. 

My wife likes it scalding.   She is like a dragon.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

My last boss would take a piping hot Dunkin Donuts coffee and put it in the microwave. I can't believe he could actually taste it.

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I've found my people!

My dad would constantly microwave his coffee whenever it would get just a little bit cool.  So then it would be both hot AND microwaved coffee.  So gross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

I've found my people!

My dad would constantly microwave his coffee whenever it would get just a little bit cool.  So then it would be both hot AND microwaved coffee.  So gross.

That is exactly my dad!  LOL

19 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

John

we need a chat 😳

IN A FRIDGE ️ 

50-55deg room temp for real ale (beer)

Lager should be chilled, 

Beer (Ale) (oh well) I have family members turning in their graves 🍺 RIP

Newkie Brown even has a blue star temp sense to show perfect recommended drinking temp

YMMV

Interesting you should mention this. Actually you can store beer in a regular refrigerator and keep it 50-55 deg by adding an on-line thermostat external to the unit.

When I was brewing beer, ales are easy to brew but lagers a little more difficult because they require fermenting at lower temperatures (45-55 deg F with special yeast made for lagers). That's a very difficult temperature to maintain so I used an on-line thermostat on an old refrigerator.

Having said all that, I prefer to drink my beer ice cold no matter what kind it is. I don't pay attention to the "experts" (think snobs) and listen to my taste buds instead. I even like my red wine chilled 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big_G said:

Every now an again the wife sneaks nonessentials into my beer fridge. My protests go unheeded.

Whew!

I thought you were putting raw eggs in your beer.... I've actually seen this done before by someone that was challenged by another person. I think they had a "few" beers under their belts) (those were my younger days)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Whew!

I thought you were putting raw eggs in your beer.... I've actually seen this done before by someone that was challenged by another person. I think they had a "few" beers under their belts) (those were my younger days)

Way back in the day, I saw many a sailor sprinkle salt on their drafts to get the head up. Of course if barkeeps did a proper pour and if the beer was good quality, they wouldn't have needed to do this...but.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:49 AM, John&LaLa said:

The one and only, Newcastle Brown Ale 🍺 

20220617_122341.thumb.jpg.a4b1ddef990fcb86e203ca391783f0d2.jpg

Actually got it stocked in the SL on our last Symphony cruise. The concierge earned a nice gratuity 😁

There is almost always ONE bar on each R/C ship we sailed on that has it on tap. That and  Blue Moon or Franziskaner (Celebrity) are my choices.

After the above it is just straight spirits.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Interesting you should mention this. Actually you can store beer in a regular refrigerator and keep it 50-55 deg by adding an on-line thermostat external to the unit.

When I was brewing beer, ales are easy to brew but lagers a little more difficult because they require fermenting at lower temperatures (45-55 deg F with special yeast made for lagers). That's a very difficult temperature to maintain so I used an on-line thermostat on an old refrigerator.

Having said all that, I prefer to drink my beer ice cold no matter what kind it is. I don't pay attention to the "experts" (think snobs) and listen to my taste buds instead. I even like my red wine chilled 

I don’t think it’s an expert SNOB thing when we are talking beer 

Us commoners are the reason beer is brewed.

Because (we) the common folk can’t afford a $250 of Caymus 😉

Ale/Beer in UK is not served chilled, that’s the way of life.

And was designed, invented or concocted that way. period.

Thats the great thing about humans we can do whatever we want.

Twist and reinvent the Status Quo and come up with new and interesting ideas.

Agree how you choose to drink yours is how you want to drink yours, not saying you are right or wrong 😎

Martinis we’re made with Gin, then guess what some people decided let’s use Vodka. 

Both work and both can be enjoyed by the masses exactly how they wish to drink it

shaken, stirred, dirty ,muddy

So I like my beer with Shorts, in MDR

but if I see a baseball cap in a posh restaurant, then there will be all hell to pay, because that is just damn rude. 😜

But those that were brought up with no manners and wear baseball caps to eat

Thats a choice they have in life 

(I didn’t say hats) just to be clear

and don’t forget to tip your server $1.23 per drink

Happy Days!

“Birds aren’t real”

On 7/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, topnole said:

Sommeliers are human too.  I’ve read about how they’ve (subjects were sommeliers) done blind taste tests with varying wines.  They then did non blind taste tests and used coloring to make some whites appear like reds.  The sommeliers typically identified those whites as bold like reds whereas they didn’t in the blind test.  Their minds were totally fooled by the color alone and the results were different because of that.  In other words their sense of taste didn’t win out.  

By the way I’m not insisting any one stranger can’t do something.  I’m referencing human behavior.  People simply can’t distinguish things consistently as you suggest.  Learning about wine or other spirits doesn’t mean that person taste buds work better than anyone else.  If multiple sommeliers mistake a red from a white just because food coloring, that tells you how easy it is to fool one’s mind.   That is why marketing is strongly tied to perception of quality.  In the case of beer, the packaging form of marketing is used heavily to signal quality.   

Tried it last night with a Trillium Blue Hill and a Sam Adams Wicked Hazy.  Easy peasy.  Same with Dragon’s Milk stout and Tree House Double Shot.  Glaringly obvious.  I’m confident in my assertion. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, PompeySailor said:

Beer is supposed to be warm 

Fact

But agreed it is personal preference and entirely up to the consumer

I live in Florida, none of my beer is in the Fridge 

It’s like custards should be served Hot, but on a trifle cold is ok

it’s a bit Ike MDR dress code suggested, not recommended

I drink my beer in shorts 😉

Beer serving temps fluctuate by style. 

22 hours ago, Big_G said:

My last boss would take a piping hot Dunkin Donuts coffee and put it in the microwave. I can't believe he could actually taste it.

I just don't get it.  But then, I love hot sauces, very hot sauces.  My wife cringes when I put on about a 1/4 bottle of Pete's on my meal. 

10 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Totally with ya there!  At least as far as American beer is concerned, doesn't matter what kind of American beer, either.  But, Imported German, cellar temp is fine.

9 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

but if I see a baseball cap in a posh restaurant, then there will be all hell to pay, because that is just damn rude. 😜

I was with ya until........^^^^

How do you feel about cowboy hats in a restaurant?  It's a cultural thing.

I wear a baseball "cap" in a restaurant/MDR because I spent 20 + year of my life being told I was not allowed to unless I was under arms.  I also have an issue with my head, I cover it up with a "cap".  

Many people that wear a hat or "cap" into a restaurant are doing it for everybody else's benefit, not necessarily their own.

30 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I was with ya until........^^^^

How do you feel about cowboy hats in a restaurant?  It's a cultural thing.

I wear a baseball "cap" in a restaurant/MDR because I spent 20 + year of my life being told I was not allowed to unless I was under arms.  I also have an issue with my head, I cover it up with a "cap".  

Many people that wear a hat or "cap" into a restaurant are doing it for everybody else's benefit, not necessarily their own.

It was said in jest 

(notice emoji) 🤪

How I feel about it, all good by me 👍🏻
as long as you don’t look under the table at my shorts 🩳 

What others do in the MDR is absolutely None of my business 

And I did exclude hats (yehaw y’all)

read again 😎

Used to live in TX, very rarely saw anyone wearing a cowboy hat outside, let alone in a restaurant.

When I was in the military a hat or cap on  head in the mess was not a good idea.

Been there and done that 

Anyways it was said in jest 

not intended to offend 😎 

Caps and shorts = The New Tux

Edited by PompeySailor

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

It was said in jest 

(notice emoji) 🤪

How I feel about it, all good by me 👍🏻
as long as you don’t look under the table at my shorts 🩳 

What others do in the MDR is absolutely None of my business 

And I did exclude hats (yehaw y’all)

read again 😎

Used to live in TX, very rarely saw anyone wearing a cowboy hat outside, let alone in a restaurant.

When I was in the military a hat or cap on  head in the mess was not a good idea.

Been there and done that 

Anyways it was said in jest 

not intended to offend 😎 

Caps and shorts = The New Tux

I was sure you were just kidding until I saw this AFTER the emoji:  

Thats a choice they have in life 

(I didn’t say hats) just to be clear

And I didn't say Texas, I said "cowboy hat".  But, I have spent a lot of time in Texas, was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX for 3 years and just north of it in White Sands Missile Range, NM for 3 years where we would go to El Paso for nonPX shopping and restaurants.  Los Cruces sucked for that type of activity.  And I spend a lot of time in Sequin, TX visiting with an old Army buddy and his wife.  And I have seen many "cowboy hats" in and out of restaurants. 

BTW, in the military, (at least the Army) if was against regulation to wear any headgear indoors unless under arms, not just the mess facilities.  

But hey.  Now that I know you were joking, it's good.  Doesn't matter anyway, I'm still going to wear my hat or "cap" into restaurants and out.  

Have a great day!

• Like 1