Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

1 minute ago, topnole said:

Aren’t British ales pretty much flat?   Seems it would be easier to have them?

A real ale gets its fizziness from fermentation so it is somewhat flatter than draught or bottled beer.

The issue I believe is that the yeast is in the cask and might not settle with movement. A cask should be allowed to sit still for 24hrs before being tapped (opened) but I'm not sure how much a ship's movement would affect this. 

29 minutes ago, sanschag said:

Um ... no. It's from Russian River in Santa Rosa, California (Sonoma Valley). It's excellent, considered to be one of the best IPAs in the world. (I've had the fortune to taste it at the brewery.)

First time I was there, I saw a couple customers leave the brewery with hand trucks piled high with Pliny cases.  I asked the waitress what it was, she brought me some and I was hooked.  I've planned road trips to Sonoma to bring back a couple cases.  Totally worth the 12 hour drive each way.

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Newcastle has very low carbonation. Very smooth drink

Yes.  And this is typical of all the British Ales I’ve enjoyed.  I toured Fullers a few times in London and one year the guide was making fun of American lagers and bragging on his own products (rightfully so) because they don’t cause you to feel full (nice way to put it).  Thus, allowing for more beer consumption.  😂😂   He was the most generous guide I’ve ever had when it came to sampling all their varieties.  He even broke out some expensive vintage ales which run 10+ pounds per bottle because he was having so much fun with us. 

Sure wish they had some Fullers products onboard.  The make a great ESB and their main seller,

London Pride, is a really nice too.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yes.  And this is typical of all the British Ales I’ve enjoyed.  I toured Fullers a few times in London and one year the guide was making fun of American lagers and bragging on his own products (rightfully so) because they don’t cause you to feel full (nice way to put it).  Thus, allowing for more beer consumption.  😂😂   He was the most generous guide I’ve ever had when it came to sampling all their varieties.  He even broke out some expensive vintage ales which run 10+ pounds per bottle because he was having so much fun with us. 

Sure wish they had some Fullers products onboard.  The make a great ESB and their main seller,

Now I'm thirsty. Luckily I'm well stocked.😁

20220726_161241.thumb.jpg.3521b1bd2ff5324b8b82eb8c780a3c7a.jpg

Cheers

20220726_161227.thumb.jpg.d0d43c27f18225c63e0c35b122a22b5c.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Now I'm thirsty. Luckily I'm well stocked.😁

20220726_161241.thumb.jpg.3521b1bd2ff5324b8b82eb8c780a3c7a.jpg

Cheers

20220726_161227.thumb.jpg.d0d43c27f18225c63e0c35b122a22b5c.jpg

That is one good looking fridge!!   Your posts are gonna make me get some soon.  Does Total Wine sell the real stuff?  How about Publix or any other Florida retailer?   

If you ever go to Total Wine, try a Fullers.  They usually carry a small number of their varieties.  Their Vintage Ales

are amazing.  All of their beers are made at their sole Brewery.  Great stuff.  

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

Anthem had London Pride in the pub last Christmas. I wish I had realized this before day 3.

I'd be perfectly fine with Stone (assuming their purchase doesn't change them) or Sierra Nevada when I'm on Voyager in a couple weeks. I'll have to keep a lookout for the Terrapin Hopsecutioner. Not sure about getting any of these though as we're going out of Copenhagen.

My thoughts on the whole craft things is that yes, there are some crap craft beers out there. (I just dumped four bottles last weekend. They weren't good last year and I was hoping aging might have improved them as they were sweetened stouts. No such luck.) I think it's more about the brewer willing to put more thought and care into the beer itself versus making it more efficiently/cheaper. The best craft beer are amazing while the best macros are sometimes okay. Anything from a craft brewery sold on a main line cruise ship will have to be consistent enough to be good.

19 minutes ago, sanschag said:

Anthem had London Pride in the pub last Christmas. I wish I had realized this before day 3.

I'd be perfectly fine with Stone (assuming their purchase doesn't change them) or Sierra Nevada when I'm on Voyager in a couple weeks. I'll have to keep a lookout for the Terrapin Hopsecutioner. Not sure about getting any of these though as we're going out of Copenhagen.

My thoughts on the whole craft things is that yes, there are some crap craft beers out there. (I just dumped four bottles last weekend. They weren't good last year and I was hoping aging might have improved them as they were sweetened stouts. No such luck.) I think it's more about the brewer willing to put more thought and care into the beer itself versus making it more efficiently/cheaper. The best craft beer are amazing while the best macros are sometimes okay. Anything from a craft brewery sold on a main line cruise ship will have to be consistent enough to be good.

Where were you out of when they had London Pride?   Was that South Hampton?

30 minutes ago, topnole said:

That is one good looking fridge!!   Your posts are gonna make me get some soon.  Does Total Wine sell the real stuff?  How about Publix or any other Florida retailer?   

If you ever go to Total Wine, try a Fullers.  They usually carry a small number of their varieties.  Their Vintage Ales

are amazing.  All of their beers are made at their sole Brewery.  Great stuff.  

No one sells it that I know of. These are courtesy of Symphony Concierge 😁

Try and find the Dukes Brown from Bold City. Cocoa Beach Publix carried it, not here in Ocala

Edited by John&LaLa

3 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

looked it up, a Russian beer.

The only beer I got in Russia was Vodka!!!   And lots of it!!

(Although we did have a Guinness at an Irish pub in Nizhniy Novgorod)

I'm not a big fan of beers from the British Isles and my ancestry has English brewery ownership in it.  But, I love most German beer (don't like Paulaner Pils).  I find that most people that don't like German (I should actually say European beer) say they don't like beer served at "room temperature".  That always makes me laugh because it really isn't served at "room temperature" as we would define it in the U.S.A.  German beer, real German beer, is brewed to be served at their definition of "room temperature", which is cellar temperature, which is in the lower 50's. Not sure about now but when I lived in Germany (6 years), the local beer companies didn't have any preservatives added to their brewing process.  American beer is brewed to be served at or near 30 something.  I love most beers, not IPA at all, but I love them to be served at the temperature it was brewed to be served at.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

But if you go to any land based restaurant they show up as "craft" drafts on the menu.

Where?  That would get you laughed out of business in craft-heavy cities like Seattle or Portland.  I have literally never even seen them on draft here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not a big fan of beers from the British Isles and my ancestry has English brewery ownership in it.  But, I love most German beer (don't like Paulaner Pils).  I find that most people that don't like German (I should actually say European beer) say they don't like beer served at "room temperature".  That always makes me laugh because it really isn't served at "room temperature" as we would define it in the U.S.A.  German beer, real German beer, is brewed to be served at their definition of "room temperature", which is cellar temperature, which is in the lower 50's. Not sure about now but when I lived in Germany (6 years), the local beer companies didn't have any preservatives added to their brewing process.  American beer is brewed to be served at or near 30 something.  I love most beers, not IPA at all, but I love them to be served at the temperature it was brewed to be served at.  

Most beer in Europe is served cold nowadays. That criticism ranges back to practices from decades ago.  Modern refrigeration is much more common now. Not to say you won’t experience a place like your example, but I’m not sure it is the norm in most places now.  I’m not a European expert on this, just going off of my experiences over the past 15 years or so visiting Europe many times.  

The German old purity laws dictated beer  ingredients until the EU was finalized.  It was a major sticking point for many rounds of GATT discussions.  It held back the finalization of the EU for a while.  Germany finally relented.   But most German brewers still follow the old laws (ex the Bavarian brewers).  So Germans drink the highest % of domestic beers (it is a high %) of any country in the world and in the end it didn’t hurt their sales of home companies as far as losing domestic consumption to foreign brewers. Germans are pretty loyal to their own beers.  And I do t blame them one bit.  I absolutely love Munich!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

Most beer in Europe is served cold nowadays. That criticism ranges back to practices from decades ago.  Modern refrigeration is much more common now. Not to say you won’t experience a place like your example, but I’m not sure it is the norm in most places now.  I’m not a European expert on this, just going off of my experiences over the past 15 years or so visiting Europe many times.  

The German old purity laws dictated beer  ingredients until the EU was finalized.  It was a major sticking point for many rounds of GATT discussions.  It held back the finalization of the EU for a while.  Germany finally relented.   But most German brewers still follow the old laws (ex the Bavarian brewers).  So Germans drink the highest % of domestic beers (it is a high %) of any country in the world and in the end it didn’t hurt their sales of home companies as far as losing domestic consumption to foreign brewers. Germans are pretty loyal to their own beers.  And I do t blame them one bit.  I absolutely love Munich!!

Ya, I forgot about the EU debacle.  However, I do keep in contact with a German friend I developed over there.  She doesn't complain about anything going on with their local beer there.  This is in a little village called Vilseck.  We actually had beer delivered to our quarters/apartment like Milk used to be delivered here in the U.S.  Put out the empties at night, in the morning, all replace with filled bottles, but you didn't have to skim of the top of the contents.  Loved it.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This is in a little village called Vilseck.  We actually had beer delivered to our quarters/apartment like Milk used to be delivered here in the U.S.  Put out the empties at night, in the morning, all replace with filled bottles, but you didn't have to skim of the top of the contents.  Loved it.

I think I just found my retirement home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Ya, I forgot about the EU debacle.  However, I do keep in contact with a German friend I developed over there.  She doesn't complain about anything going on with their local beer there.  This is in a little village called Vilseck.  We actually had beer delivered to our quarters/apartment like Milk used to be delivered here in the U.S.  Put out the empties at night, in the morning, all replace with filled bottles, but you didn't have to skim of the top of the contents.  Loved it.

My father in law told me stories very similar about delivery.  I’d be in big trouble if I had that!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, baelor said:

Where?  That would get you laughed out of business in craft-heavy cities like Seattle or Portland.  I have literally never even seen them on draft here.

90% of the venues in the country most likely. 

Craft is a niche, a tiny, tiny, niche.

Not meaning to be snarky, but ABInBev spills more beer than most microbreweries produce

Is Red Hook still a micro?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Craft is a niche, a tiny, tiny, niche.

Again, this is definitely city-dependent.  It is way, way easier for me to get craft on tap in Seattle than it is to get Bud (or any other big brewery) on draft.  Except maybe Dos Equis at Mexican restaurants.