Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

At the end of the day I don’t think anyone is saying that they should have special release bombers or anything like that on a cruise ship, just more options besides macro domestics/imports and their fake craft counterparts. They have wine bars and huge wine lists but beer is left in the dust

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

At the end of the day I don’t think anyone is saying that they should have special release bombers or anything like that on a cruise ship, just more options besides macro domestics/imports and their fake craft counterparts. They have wine bars and huge wine lists but beer is left in the dust

Huge 🤔

On 7/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, Big_G said:

Craft is probably closer to 25 percent of the market. Red Hook Longhammer is my usual go to on most Royal ships. Not sure if they're still considered micro and I'm not a Stone fan. I'll hit a Coors Light after yard work but my beer fridge is usually stocked with 95 percent microbrewery beers. It's an expensive habit I'm not willing to give up. Royal's beer selection overall is not great.

20220409_131325.jpg

What are the eggs doing there?

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Huge 🤔

My guess is probably because wine has a much longer shelf life than beer so they can keep a $300 bottle gathering dust for a few years.

Going back to what is considered a "craft beer", after tossing and turning for many sleepless nights*, I decided my definition of craft beer would include any limited-run, seasonal specialty brew released by the mega-breweries in additional to the B.A. definition.

Granted, those beers may not be lovingly brewed by sweater-vested wearing bearded hipsters in a abandon barn but it is a unique recipe that is not always available everywhere at any time. That taste is probably going to be love-it, hate-it with no in between.  And that's what it's all about!

* not really.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 1:42 PM, bobmacliberty said:

I agree.  Seems like such a missed opportunity for Royal given the explosion of craft beer popularity everywhere else.  I'm an IPA fan...mid to high IBUs are great for me.  On a Royal ship though, I will happily suffer through a Heineken or a Red Stripe.

I've seen the basic Sierra Nevada on the last few I have done with Royal. Torpedo is my everyday drinker though. Pretty high IBU (70?). Hard to go wrong with anything from Sierra Nevada, even their seasonal's are good

On 7/26/2022 at 4:13 PM, John&LaLa said:

Now I'm thirsty. Luckily I'm well stocked.😁

20220726_161241.thumb.jpg.3521b1bd2ff5324b8b82eb8c780a3c7a.jpg

Cheers

John

we need a chat 😳

IN A FRIDGE ️ 

50-55deg room temp for real ale (beer)

Lager should be chilled, 

Beer (Ale) (oh well) I have family members turning in their graves 🍺 RIP

Newkie Brown even has a blue star temp sense to show perfect recommended drinking temp

YMMV

16 hours ago, KayRaeRae said:

But have you done it to a certified sommelier?  My palate is pretty spot-on.  But keep insisting strangers can’t do things because people you know can’t.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Sommeliers are human too.  I’ve read about how they’ve (subjects were sommeliers) done blind taste tests with varying wines.  They then did non blind taste tests and used coloring to make some whites appear like reds.  The sommeliers typically identified those whites as bold like reds whereas they didn’t in the blind test.  Their minds were totally fooled by the color alone and the results were different because of that.  In other words their sense of taste didn’t win out.  

By the way I’m not insisting any one stranger can’t do something.  I’m referencing human behavior.  People simply can’t distinguish things consistently as you suggest.  Learning about wine or other spirits doesn’t mean that person taste buds work better than anyone else.  If multiple sommeliers mistake a red from a white just because food coloring, that tells you how easy it is to fool one’s mind.   That is why marketing is strongly tied to perception of quality.  In the case of beer, the packaging form of marketing is used heavily to signal quality.   

24 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

John

we need a chat 😳

IN A FRIDGE ️ 

Lager should be chilled, 

Newkie Brown even has a blue star temp sense to show perfect recommended drinking temp

YMMV

Willing to learn sensai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

John

we need a chat 😳

IN A FRIDGE ️ 

Lager should be chilled, 

YMMV

That is a serving suggestion.  What about storage?   Also, I’ve read you are supposed to serve it several degrees below the suggestion to account for the fact that the beer will warm slightly as it is served.  If you serve a real ale outside in Florida, you probably need to account for a lot more warming in the serving process.  So it might makes sense to have them stored 10+ degrees below suggested serving temperature because the beer is going to warm up extremely fast if it’s hot.  If you stored it at 50-55 you will be drinking a 75 degree beer in no time.  Heck, a main stream light beer stored at 33 will be darn near warm in no time outside in Florida.  

Of course the temperature ranges are for optimal taste.  So if someone likes a given beer colder and enjoys the taste profile at that temperature, it is fine to consume it that way.  It is really just taste and preferences.  If someone likes an ice cold ale, they may not care that the range of favors is more minimized due to temperature differences.   I like my coffee room temperature.  Most people think I’m crazy for that.  

Edited by topnole
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

That is a serving suggestion.  What about storage?   Also, I’ve read you are supposed to serve it several degrees below the suggestion to account for the fact that the beer will warm slightly as it is served.  If you serve a real ale outside in Florida, you probably need to account for a lot more warming in the serving process.  So it might makes sense to have them stored 10+ degrees below suggested serving temperature because the beer is going to warm up extremely fast if it’s hit.  If you stored it at 50-55 you will be drinking a 75 degree beer in no time.  Heck, a main stream light beer stored at 33 will be darn near warm in no time outside in Florida.  

Of course the temperature ranges are for optimal taste.  So if someone likes a given beer colder and enjoys the taste profile at that temperature, it is fine to consume it that way.  It is really just taste and preferences.  If someone likes an ice cold ale, they may not care that the range of favors is more minimized due to temp attire differences.   I like my coffee room temperature.  Most people think I’m crazy for that.  

Beer is supposed to be warm 

Fact

But agreed it is personal preference and entirely up to the consumer

I live in Florida, none of my beer is in the Fridge 

It’s like custards should be served Hot, but on a trifle cold is ok

it’s a bit Ike MDR dress code suggested, not recommended

I drink my beer in shorts 😉

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

In March 

I will attempt to bring some HSB, ESB and maybe some imported NB

Might have to indulge outside before boarding 😉

And the SB acronyms (Special Brew)

Which ESB do you prefer?

5 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Beer is supposed to be warm 

Fact

But agreed it is personal preference and entirely up to the consumer

I live in Florida, none of my beer is in the Fridge 

It’s like custards should be served Hot, but on a trifle cold is ok

it’s a bit Ike MDR dress code suggested, not recommended

I drink my beer in shorts 😉

Yep.  Like the maitre’d, my beers don’t care what I’m wearing.  Not even the French or Italian beers.  I’ve had a few moments in Italy where I was surrounded by locals seemingly all wearing suit and ties, and felt a bit out of place.   However, my Peroni never cared that I wasn’t wearing a tie and jacket wandering Rome in 88 degree temps.  We got along real well on those trips.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

Which ESB do you prefer?

I don’t really have a favorite ESB, but when that time of year comes around.

Tuborg has good offerings.

I toured Tuborg and Carlsberg breweries back in the early 90’s and Heineken in the early 00’s

My favorite which is history , was from a brewery next to where I lived

i had family that worked there, on Fridays every employee would get a crate to enjoy over the weekend 🍻 

Horndean Special Brew (HSB) (4.8)

So these days if I am slumming it, will

be Old Speckled Hen, London Pride or Theakston’s (5.6) and John Smiths at a push.

Happy Days!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

I don’t really have a favorite ESB, but when that time of year comes around.

Tuborg has good offerings.

I toured Tuborg and Carlsberg breweries back in the early 90’s and Heineken in the early 00’s

My favorite which is history , was from a brewery next to where I lived

i had family that worked there, on Fridays every employee would get a crate to enjoy over the weekend 🍻 

Horndean Special Brew (HSB) (4.8)

So these days if I am slumming it, will

be Old Speckled Hen, London Pride or Theakston’s (5.6) and John Smiths at a push.

Happy Days!

I like the Fullers ESB.  Been to the brewery several times and I enjoy their pubs in London.  So for me it brings back great memories of great trips.  I used to be able to get it in Florida, but now they have trimmed back and it’s typically just London Pride available so I’ll buy that occasionally.   

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

I like the Fullers ESB.  Been to the brewery several times and I enjoy their pubs in London.  So for me it brings back great memories of great trips.  I used to be able to get it in Florida, but now they have trimmed back and it’s typically just London Pride available so I’ll buy that occasionally.   

Fullers brewed HSB for awhile after buying out Gales Ales, which finally closed in 2006.

Young’s is another favorite for some, not my cup of T though 🧐

Before we moved down to FL, in TX the Total Wine stores there had a really good British and English section with countless beers and Ales.

What is totally amazing though, Budweiser is the number #1 beer in UK

I need a drink to get my head around that 🤯

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Must be an import thing.😉🤣

Back when we lived in St Louis, any non AB beer was considered an import.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Must be an import thing.😉🤣

Back when we lived in St Louis, any no AB beer was considered an import.

After I posted it, it got me thinking.

As young teens growing up, we drank Carlsberg Special Brew (8.8) or there abouts.

Pack of 4 and then Perno and Black.

I believe SB was banned in UK as it encouraged binge drinking.

(I can attest to that being 100% true)

The binge part, and I will hold up my hands and confess to being guilty of partaking.

Maybe the government after banning SB decided to get the youth hooked on fizzy water and Budweiser was introduced.

Just a thought, I have no evidence of this being true 🤨

I was not there and had already moved to the USA.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

After I posted it, it got me thinking.

As young teens growing up, we drank Carlsberg Special Brew (8.8) or there abouts.

Pack of 4 and then Perno and Black.

I believe SB was banned in UK as it encouraged binge drinking.

(I can attest to that being 100% true)

The binge part, and I will hold up my hands and confess to being guilty of partaking.

Maybe the government after banning SB decided to get the youth hooked on fizzy water and Budweiser was introduced.

Just a thought, I have no evidence of this being true 🤨

I was not there and had already moved to the USA.

I like Elephant 😁

Where's a Total Wine between us. We could meet and have you educate me

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Nobody asked, I understand that, but I'm going to give my opinion about something, anyway LOL:

Success vs. quality beer!  As much as I love beer, I'm not a student of it.  What I do know about beer and it's brewing process come strictly from listening/reading other people's conversations.  I would never pass a double blind test of just about any different types of beer.  But, I know what I like.  So, I'm fine with the selection of beer on Royal's cruise ships.   Would I like some other options?  Sure!  But, just about everything in life's experience can be upgraded, expanded, larger selection, better service, etc etc etc.  But, I find that I'm just as happy with a Miller Lite as I am with the world's best Hefeweizen Bier, which I really really like.  

Back to the point:  It is my opinion that success of a brewing company speaks to its quality.  If the quality wasn't there, there wouldn't be success.  HOWEVER, one must define success, as well.  If I open a craft brewery and I just barely make ends meet and a small group of people are very loyal to my brand and that was my goal all along, am I successful?  To me I am, if that's my goal!  To others, maybe not.  On the other hand, if I open a brewery and millions of people over the world purchase and enjoy my brand and I become a multi-(b)millionaire,  Am I successfully brewing a quality beer? 

I believe that it is undeniable that I'm brewing a quality beer, at least for millions of people that drink the beer that I brew in great quantities! The success says everything about the quality, in my opinion.  The beer I'm brewing is liked/loved by millions.  Some may say it's caddy piss, others may say it's the best beer in the world.  That is true about any product.  Some people love iPhone, others hate them (that's me).  Is the phone a quality phone?  Measuring by success, I'd say it has to be a quality phone because of the shear quantity of the phone's sales and millions will actually fight over their loyalty to it's brand (definitely not me).  Some may say that many beer breweries are successful because they brew beer cheaply and sell it cheaply.  Maybe so, but it is a quality inexpensive beer to millions and I don't think millions of people would buy and consume it if it was all that bad.  BTW, there are some craft beers out there that I wouldn't touch, again, with a 10 foot pole.  Others may love it.  

Now, I fully understand that there are exceptions to everything.  The above is just my opinion, period.  Oh, I also believe that if we don't express our desires to companies like Royal, nothing will improve.  So, I don't blame anybody for complaining about the lack of selection onboard.  Keep on, keep'in on!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

Fullers brewed HSB for awhile after buying out Gales Ales, which finally closed in 2006.

Young’s is another favorite for some, not my cup of T though 🧐

Before we moved down to FL, in TX the Total Wine stores there had a really good British and English section with countless beers and Ales.

I like the HSB.   Last I visited, which is now longer ago than I realized (probably 2014), I seem to recall having a Fullers HSB.  I recall they had acquired a few brands. I only have knew them as

Fullers.  After the tours I probably sampled 10 different varieties of their beers.  I didn’t meet one I didn’t like.  Some more than others, but all were good in their own way.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I like Elephant 😁

Where's a Total Wine between us. We could meet and have you educate me

I will investigate

Got a COVID test to go to now for a cheeky cruise in a couple of days 

Will PM you findings 👍🏻 (Total Wine)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

I will investigate

Got a COVID test to go to now for a cheeky cruise in a couple of days 

Will PM you findings 👍🏻 (Total Wine)