Dining with others in specialty restaurants

MarkWiltonM

I have heard that it's easier to get reservations in specialty restaurants (for those of us in lower-category staterooms) if you are willing to dine with others. If we say we are open to dining with others, does this mean that everyone at the table will order together and be served courses at the same time? My spouse and I don't drink alcohol and we therefore are not excited about the prospect of a longer, slower-paced dinner because the other guests at our table are enjoying pre-dinner cocktails followed by bottles of wine, followed by after-dinner drinks (not too worried about after-dinner drinks as long as we get our desserts and coffee and can exit quietly).

In our case, would it be better to try to reserve a table for two, regardless of the time of the seating, and then once on board try to get an earlier time? (We like to eat early.) 

2 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I have heard that it's easier to get reservations in specialty restaurants (for those of us in lower-category staterooms) if you are willing to dine with others. If we say we are open to dining with others, does this mean that everyone at the table will order together and be served courses at the same time? My spouse and I don't drink alcohol and we therefore are not excited about the prospect of a longer, slower-paced dinner because the other guests at our table are enjoying pre-dinner cocktails followed by bottles of wine, followed by after-dinner drinks (not too worried about after-dinner drinks as long as we get our desserts and coffee and can exit quietly).

In our case, would it be better to try to reserve a table for two, regardless of the time of the seating, and then once on board try to get an earlier time? (We like to eat early.) 

You never know who your tablemates will be 

We have shared tables  but have not encounter the scenario you describe

Yes everyone is served courses at the same time   we have never waited for them to finish  their wine before the waiter bring the next course

Yry for  a 2 top for your preffered  time  if you cannot get one   check a different day

We have not really had any problem   get a 6:30 -7pm booking 

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I are in the same boat, except for us it is the amount of courses. We generally eat three courses, max. We dislike sharing tables in the MDR as our companions might have 4-5 courses, or a second entrée. We haven't sailed on O yet, so maybe the specialty restaurants will be better, but on the larger cruise lines like Celebrity, we skip the MDR or get a table for 2.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, anonymousegirl said:

My husband and I are in the same boat, except for us it is the amount of courses. We generally eat three courses, max. We dislike sharing tables in the MDR as our companions might have 4-5 courses, or a second entrée. We haven't sailed on O yet, so maybe the specialty restaurants will be better, but on the larger cruise lines like Celebrity, we skip the MDR or get a table for 2.

Let  me just say most O PAX  are not trying to eat or drink their monies worth

Try the GDR  

Try sharing a table  you might enjoy it  or you might not  😉

JMO

• Like 1

Here’s a generally accepted fact; with wine, or other alcoholic lubricants, typically comes free spirited conversation with your fellow table mates. The rate of food consumption slows down as the vivacious talk increases. The main focus of dining isn’t how quickly can the meal be consumed.

Some of us enjoy that. It sounds as if the OP wants nothing to do with that scenario. Simply said, Eat and get out. I still therefore believe dining alone is their best option for happiness.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anonymousegirl said:

Plenty of tables for 2 in the MDR.  Good menu that changes nightly, except for a few basics.  Menu rotates every 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arima22,

First and foremost, you are on Oceania, not your past cruise lines, even Celebrity. What I recall about our cruises on the mass market lines was traveling with people who piled their plates because they had not seen food or eaten in a week.  Cut the guests on O some slack, they really are some great people to “break bread” with. Yes there can be a bore or two but most often we have dined with some wonderful people. Also using a CC Roll Call can introduce you to some great people. Don’t miss the Meet and Greet for your cruise. 
Maybe sharing a 4 top is better than sharing a 6 top that can be a little slow.  I know, cruise with two couples/ friends and then you have no problems. Getting extra Specialty dining reservations is easier when you are willing to share, JMHO. 

Enjoy Oceania, wherever you eat and even in your Stateroom. They will take good care of you.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Absolutely Gracie, in fact that is my assignment when we sail with friends, “Bookem Dano” is my mantra. TA handles the first round of reservations and I take over on board. I just have our Butler handle the additional reservations for the group, whatever level room they are in.  We have been fortunate to have well connected Butler’s so we have always eaten more than half our meals in Specialty restaurants on all our cruises. Enjoy the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 👍🙏
Mauibabes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Arima22,

First and foremost, you are on Oceania, not your past cruise lines, even Celebrity. What I recall about our cruises on the mass market lines was traveling with people who piled their plates because they had not seen food or eaten in a week.  Cut the guests on O some slack, they really are some great people to “break bread” with. Yes there can be a bore or two but most often we have dined with some wonderful people. Also using a CC Roll Call can introduce you to some great people. Don’t miss the Meet and Greet for your cruise. 
Maybe sharing a 4 top is better than sharing a 6 top that can be a little slow.  I know, cruise with two couples/ friends and then you have no problems. Getting extra Specialty dining reservations is easier when you are willing to share, JMHO. 

Enjoy Oceania, wherever you eat and even in your Stateroom. They will take good care of you.

Mauibabes

You are addressing the wrong person

11 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Absolutely Gracie, in fact that is my assignment when we sail with friends, “Bookem Dano” is my mantra. TA handles the first round of reservations and I take over on board. I just have our Butler handle the additional reservations for the group, whatever level room they are in.  We have been fortunate to have well connected Butler’s so we have always eaten more than half our meals in Specialty restaurants on all our cruises. Enjoy the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 👍🙏
Mauibabes

Thank you!!

Big OOPS arima22, oh well, the right people will see it. 
anonymouse, I think I have it right this time, do you consider a bite of a shared appetizer portion a “course”. We often order sampler items for the table so others can taste the amazing cuisine without being wasteful. I guess that might be a little more difficult with unknown guests at a shared table but where there is a Will there can be a way.  
Sharing on O can really be great fun. I have seen the Preissmans blogs referred to many times here on CC.  We would have never have met and dined with them in Polo several years ago had we not been willing to Share a table for 6. Surprise 🤪🙏👍

Just go and enjoy yourselves, whatever that means and with whom. 
Mauibabes

• Like 3

Keep in mind that when people are willing to Share a table they are most likely looking to meeting other passengers and starting a conversation as well. So if your goal is mainly finish your meal as soon as possible and leave “quietly” your table mates may also not feel very comfortable to share that table. Tables for 2 in specialty restaurants maybe available when you come on board. Talk to restaurant manager or concierge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Keep in mind that when people are willing to Share a table they are most likely looking to meeting other passengers and starting a conversation as well. So if your goal is mainly finish your meal as soon as possible and leave “quietly” your table mates may also not feel very comfortable to share that table. Tables for 2 in specialty restaurants maybe available when you come on board. Talk to restaurant manager or concierge.

I don't mind meeting and having conversations with others at dinner, BUT, my main goal when selecting sharing in a specialty is to get an earlier time than what I otherwise could by not sharing. I've met some very nice people over the years, and a couple that made for stories later. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Big OOPS arima22, oh well, the right people will see it. 
anonymouse, I think I have it right this time, do you consider a bite of a shared appetizer portion a “course”. We often order sampler items for the table so others can taste the amazing cuisine without being wasteful. I guess that might be a little more difficult with unknown guests at a shared table but where there is a Will there can be a way.  
Sharing on O can really be great fun. I have seen the Preissmans blogs referred to many times here on CC.  We would have never have met and dined with them in Polo several years ago had we not been willing to Share a table for 6. Surprise 🤪🙏👍

Just go and enjoy yourselves, whatever that means and with whom. 
Mauibabes

No a shared bite of an appetizer is not a course, but I have had gastric surgery, so I rarely finish 3 courses--and I skip bread! I usually eat half my appetizer, half my mains, and two bites of a dessert!

Could not agree more with Redtravel.  I have had both types—entirely enjoyable/good conversation, etc and some that have been almost insufferable.   It is definitely luck of the draw.

Wiks

• Like 1

Anonymouse,

Actually we eat your kind of meal as well. DW is a lifetime WW member so her goal is to “maintain”. Last 12 day Caribbean trip she lost 2 pounds and I stayed the same. As great as the bread is, it is a rare thing for us and certainly not slathered in that super max fat butter which is oh so tasty. We do not suffer from the “clean plate” syndrome.
We can agree with some of the others about the luck of the draw for dinner companions but we have been lucky. Only one dinner in Toscana did we ever suffer with insufferable guests in 23 Oceania cruises. Actually we did Toscana diners a favor that night and both insufferable couples got seated at our table for 6 🤪🤬. I did learn how to be a wine snob that night though😇. The many winners we have dined with definitely outweigh, that was not a pun, any losers.  

Just go and enjoy your cruises, be it at tables for 2, 4, 6, 8.  
Mauibabes

Ok, this is a great question. We've been in the same boat, too. We normally choose a table for 2. Being a Gay couple, we just don't need judgmental pax, which we're had on O. "if" we have to share a table in a rest., it has to be for more than 4. That way, those type of pax are less likely to cause issues for fear of embarrassment. We've now done one cruise in Concierge & have another booked for Jan. 2024. So making reservations is easier. Search all the available times & dates. In most cases you'll likely only share a table in Jacques.

As to serve time...We go soup to nuts. I Jacques we started with Foie Gras/Salad then our entrée. We let some of the "uninitiated" try some of our Foie Gras. Needless to say those who never had it then ordered it. We gave the kitchen a good run that night. In many cases the staff is pretty adept at getting courses out at the same time. For those who only ordered the entrée, spirited conversation kept everything moving right along.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1

rbtan,

I can certainly understand where you are coming from.  When we first started cruising (around 1999) there were indeed gays who hid their relationships.  But it really isn't like that these days ... unless you might have the bad luck to be on a bad cruise.

I remember a private tour group that we used for a trip to Rio back in 1973.  We didn't realize until we boarded the flight that this was largely a gay group. For us, it was a bargain package. We didn't care about that.  But our seatmate in coach was bothered and asked us about the "other" passengers.  She was traveling with two sisters but they were seated separately. They were from a "business" group from NJ.

So we told her what the situation was.  During our week in Rio she became fast friends with a young man.  On the return flight (we had that row in coach that has the escape route and so there was plenty of room for him to sit on the floor) and clearly her attitude had changed.

In recent years on Oceania I've noticed much more "acceptance" (I don't like that word but can't think of another) and where as LGBTQ used to be more reticent, I don't think that's the case anymore.

I do remember a story from a few year ago where two men had an uncomfortable dinner with a couple.  But I would be surprised if that is still the case.  Of course, it CAN be. There is always the possibility of a bad combo of people when you select to share and don't know the people in advance, but we've almost never had a negative experience when sharing. I did note that you mentioned some difficult dinners.

Then again, a few years ago I saw a post here about a "O" cruise where they were at a four person table and one gentleman was beyond drunk.  Yes, you can risk encountering people who are obnoxious for many reasons.

Fortunately, we haven't met many of them on board.

Good luck.

Mura

• Like 1

My husband and I always enjoy sharing tables it’s lovely to enjoy conversations from people of all corners of the world , we don’t just eat because we need to we really enjoy our food especially if it’s cooked well and is varied.

Despite having gastric surgery I cannot understand ,why order food and only eat half ,just adding to the already dreadful excessive food waste mountain .

I think the way forward would be to order a child’s size meal, less food less waste!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rosroz said:

Despite having gastric surgery I cannot understand ,why order food and only eat half ,just adding to the already dreadful excessive food waste mountain .

I think the way forward would be to order a child’s size meal, less food less waste!!

I do not believe Oceania  has child  menus  like land  restaurants

I just ask for  a smaller portion  & most of the time  it works  but sometimes not   So I eat what I want & leave the rest

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not believe Oceania  has child  menus  like land  restaurants

I just ask for  a smaller portion  & most of the time  it works  but sometimes not   So I eat what I want & leave the rest

+1. We have never had problems getting either half portions or appetizer portions of any requested dish.

In the PG, they do have a Princess cut of the prime rib that isn’t on the menu. It’s typically 5-6 Oz. They do not have a 1 or 2 Oz cut however. If the waste bothers you, order something different. The petite filet mignon is maybe 3 Oz.

We seldom share tables; but have found that, in some of the specialties, the tables are so close to one another that it's easy to befriend those at the adjacent table.  This scenario usually starts when  someone asks about a dish that the other has ordered... and it goes on from there.  We've had some delightful conversations with lovely people in this manner.  

The worst "shared" table experience we had was with a couple that we had been on a private shore excursion with us.  After cocktails, we went to the MDR for dinner.  The other couple were clearly out of control, loud and slurring their words.  The kicker came when he said something with which she didn't agree.  She actually spit at him across the table... and it landed.  OMG!!!

• Haha 3