Enchanted Princess HDMI

Yowman

30 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Unfortunately no you cannot do that with any of the TVs on any of the princess ships.

We have had good success using a universal remote to change inputs and an HDMI to USB-C cable to play movies directly off our phones/Tablet. The TVs attached directly to the walls are difficult to impossible to squeeze your hand into to get to the HDMI port. The TV's on shelves or swivel bracket make it no problem. Here is the back of our TV in a window suite on the Grand. YMMV. 

20190516_134752.jpg

20190516_134756.jpg

56 minutes ago, Yowman said:

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone knows if the I can plug an HDMI cable into one of the TVs in a mini suite?

We've been plugging in a Roku device into Princess's TV's for years now. On the wall mounted TV's it's not easy since it is very tight, but doable. 

Follow the YouTube instructions to change the input or see the following.

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Interesting. Kind of always thought the TVs blocked the use of the HDMI. Look at that I just learned something new today thank you for sharing.

Although they don't block it, they do make it as hard as possible to utilize it.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Although they don't block it, they do make it as hard as possible to utilize it.

It's the same with hotels that have the TV wall mounted - one needs the hands of a child to be able to easily plug in the cable

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

On the Enchanted it appears that they have now blocked devices that connect to the HDMI input. In the past,  it was possible but unless I have a bad Roku or HDMI cable, it no longer works.☹️

The good news is that the USB input is still available to use... at least it will power up portable hard drives for movies, which can be selected using the tv's remote. I have 2 HD's - one worked, one didn't and at this time I'm not sure which format is the right one until I get home to check.

I had no luck connecting my Galaxy s20 phone directly into that input. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

On the Enchanted it appears that they have now blocked devices that connect to the HDMI input. In the past,  it was possible but unless I have a bad Roku or HDMI cable, it no longer works.☹️

The good news is that the USB input is still available to use... at least it will power up portable hard drives for movies, which can be selected using the tv's remote. I have 2 HD's - one worked, one didn't and at this time I'm not sure which format is the right one until I get home to check.

I’m on the Discovery Princess and the directional jogger under the middle of the TV has been blocked. Since I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of trying to hook up to the TV anyway, I brought a 15” portable monitor connected to a fire tv stick with an external 128 GB SSD that I uploaded several tv series and movies. Also Bluetooth speakers and a portable battery. Works well.

78D5EBE3-1360-412E-A0D8-512261E5B294.jpeg

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Thanks for the update.  I'm on Enchanted in September so I won't bother bring a cable.  I too have movies on a portable disc.  What file formats will the TV playback?

If using a usb storage device  format as FAT32 or NTFS then copy content to the storage device (for LG televisions.). This is an LG requirement so see LG manuals for details.

Of course getting the TV to accept input from the USB drive is a different hurtle.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

I’m on the Discovery Princess and the directional jogger under the middle of the TV has been blocked. Since I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of trying to hook up to the TV anyway, I brought a 15” portable monitor connected to a fire tv stick with an external 128 GB SSD that I uploaded several tv series and movies. Also Bluetooth speakers and a portable battery. Works well.

I'm using a regular 2 tb  portable HD. It takes a minute or two to load up compared to an SSD.

34 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Only if you enjoy 2 and 3 year old movies.

I do. I also have a kid who wants to watch and rewatch his favorites, so that works as well.

There were some movies on Enchanted I haven't seen yet, even if my boys have. And I showed my kid movies Gifted and Hidden Figures.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yowman said:

Argh.  Mine are all mkv format

I'm not sure they wouldn't also work.

I have many of each different formats so I can't really check on board as I don't bring a computer with me.

Just convert them so you'll have each type.

17 hours ago, billco said:

We’re you able to hook up your Firestick to the on board internet?

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We’re you able to hook up your Firestick to the on board internet?

No. I can add everything to the sign on using my firestick remote except birth month. Doesn’t matter. The internet is so slow it probably wouldn’t work anyway. I can connect my iPhone to the monitor and can sometimes stream apps like Netflix or Prime.

Edited by billco

16 minutes ago, billco said:

No. I can add everything to the sign on using my firestick remote except birth month. Doesn’t matter. The internet is so slow it probably wouldn’t work anyway. I can connect my iPhone to the monitor and can sometimes stream apps like Netflix or Prime.

Thanks.  I also was not able to log into my Fire stick on the Emerald in January.

Edited by jagoffee

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Enchanted and they've recently locked out connections to the HDMI input. ☹️ Earlier last year it was an option but no longer. My Roku device would no longer even connect- it wasn't even on option BUT their USB input is still available to switch to. I had a HD formatted for NTFS which worked and another HD formatted with exFAT which didn't work. when I arrived home I reformatted it for our next cruise. I suppose a thumb drive would also work with the correct formatting. I didn't try. Once the HD was in place, it stayed there tucked in behind the TV only having to switch the input as needed.

Their remote, once switched over with the toggle switch, worked OK for navigation & volume. 

Using an external HD gives the advantage of not needing an external power supply as theirs is difficult to get to and our AC outlet was across the room on the desk and leaving an extension cord laying on the floor wasn't a great idea anyway.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, MissP22 said:

We just returned from the Enchanted and they've recently locked out connections to the HDMI input. ☹️ Earlier last year it was an option but no longer. My Roku device would no longer even connect- it wasn't even on option BUT their USB input is still available to switch to. I had a HD formatted for NTFS which worked and another HD formatted with exFAT which didn't work. when I arrived home I reformatted it for our next cruise. I suppose a thumb drive would also work with the correct formatting. I didn't try. Once the HD was in place, it stayed there tucked in behind the TV only having to switch the input as needed.

Their remote, once switched over with the toggle switch, worked OK for navigation & volume. 

Using an external HD gives the advantage of not needing an external power supply as theirs is difficult to get to and our AC outlet was across the room on the desk and leaving an extension cord laying on the floor wasn't a great idea anyway.

When is your next cruise on the Enchanted so you can try your new method?  We will be on the Enchanted next March, and would like to use the toggle switch, and the connection to HDMI so we can use our portable media player.  

On all our past cruises, except Discovery Princess, we were always successful connecting to the HDMI input and were able to use our portable media player.

Thank you!