14th August Rotterdam cruise port change

ScotsLady

Thanks for the notice.

At least they gave u 2.5 weeks' notice.

Did they give u transportation info between Rotterdam & AMS airport or Amsterdam Central train station?  Included or $39 cost?

Following since ours still says Amsterdam PTA in Sept...

It appears to that our July 31 port has changed to Rotterdam as well (according to the Navigator app), however, I have not received any official notification from HAL and the website does not show this same change.  Ugh!

7 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks for the notice.

At least they gave u 2.5 weeks' notice.

Did they give u transportation info between Rotterdam & AMS airport or Amsterdam Central train station?  Included or $39 cost?

Following since ours still says Amsterdam PTA in Sept...

No it says

We look forward to you joining us on board Rotterdam.

We wish to advise you of a change to our embarkation port. Because of a prolonged drought in the Netherlands, the Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management has limited the hours during which the IJmuiden locks leading to the port in Amsterdam can operate.

We had planned to pass through the Ijmuiden locks overnight en route to Amsterdam to disembark guests from the current cruise and for your embarkation. As this will not be possible, your embarkation will now take place in the city of Rotterdam on Sunday, August 14, 2022. At this time we are still evaluating the effect on more distant future voyages and will advise you of any changes to your planned disembarkation on board. Please note that your online itinerary, Navigator app, and any notifications generated by our booking system will continue to show Amsterdam, as we are unable to make that change this close to your cruise due to system limitations. We apologize for any confusion this may cause.

As a gesture of goodwill, guests will receive $50.00 USD onboard credit per person to offset any unexpected costs this change may cause.

Guests with Holland America Line pre-cruise hotels or airport transfers will be taken directly to the pier in Rotterdam. Guests flying into the Netherlands will not have to make any adjustments to their flights due to this change. For guests who are making their own way to the ship, please see the below information regarding Cruise Terminal Rotterdam.

Address

Cruise Terminal Rotterdam

Wilhelminakade 699
3072 AP Rotterdam

it also gives info on trains and recommends you take a train.

we fly into Schipol on Saturday morning and have now cancelled our hotel in Amsterdam and booked one by the port in Rotterdam. Only pain for us is lugging the cases on a train. Have looked at many sites for car pick up and nothing under 100 euro

We signed up for Hal transfer after receiving port change information. $39.00 is much better than the average 160 Euro cost of a cab. Train is cheapest but the bag drag would be a hassle. Some days you wonder whether all this is worth it.

Edited by aliaschief

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

We signed up for Hal transfer after receiving port change information. $39.00 is much better than the average 160 Euro cost of a cab. Train is cheapest but the bag drag would be a hassle. Some days you wonder whether all this is worth it.

Where do you find out about the transfer?

And is it only on Sunday morning?

we cancelled our Amsterdam hotel and booked one by port in Rotterdam, Then found cost of cabs so decided to get train but worried about all the bags

4 hours ago, ScotsLady said:

we cancelled our Amsterdam hotel and booked one by port in Rotterdam, Then found cost of cabs so decided to get train but worried about all the bags

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Train is cheapest but the bag drag would be a hassle. Some days you wonder whether all this is worth it.

See this link (and many other pages...) of the NS (railway company) offering direct connections from Schiphol to a.o. Rotterdam Centraal Station. It is about door to door connections; offered in Rotterdam too.   https://www.ns.nl/en/door-to-door/ov-taxi.html    The taxi will wait for your arrival at the station and bring you to your hotel or other address.

At 168 stations handicapped passengers can reserve (professional) assistance to get in and out of the train.  Complication can be that you have to create an account https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/traveling-with-a-disability/ns-travel-assistance.html  

If this is too much work: I am almost sure that people seeing you have troubles loading your luggage upon entering or leaving the train will help you.  

Enjoy your flight, trainride and stay in the Netherlands and of course your cruise!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I' more worried about disembarkation. The ship returns on the 21st and I have an 11am flight to the US. We'll see what happens!

I am not a professional, but I am almost sure that if your flight is TransAtlantic you will not be in time, whether it is from Amsterdam or Rotterdam Cruise terminal.  Please consult your travel agent!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We also booked the transfer when we got the news. I just wish we could have figured out how to apply the $50/pp OBC they provided to us to that transfer fee.   

4 hours ago, MAVIP said:

I am not a professional, but I am almost sure that if your flight is TransAtlantic you will not be in time, whether it is from Amsterdam or Rotterdam Cruise terminal.  Please consult your travel agent!!

Yes, that could happen but it is what HAL booked for me. Regardless of whether I make the flight or now, will be it be quicker to use HAL transportation to Schipol or self-disembarkation and the train?

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Yes, that could happen but it is what HAL booked for me. Regardless of whether I make the flight or now, will be it be quicker to use HAL transportation to Schiphol or self-disembarkation and the train?

I know what DH and I would do: ask HAL to book a later flight. Less stress, at least that would be so for us. Check excursion brochure: doesnt it mention that the transfer is for flights after a certain time only?

55 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I know what DH and I would do: ask HAL to book a later flight. Less stress, at least that would be so for us. Check excursion brochure: doesnt it mention that the transfer is for flights after a certain time only?

Alright I'll call and see what they say.

51 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if I need a Covid test to get on this ship? I heard people didn't for July.

Yes, you need a Covid test at least three days prior to embarkation.  We got our tests this morning, 7/28, and are anxiously awaiting the official results.

12 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Alright I'll call and see what they say.

This is the text in my recent boarding pass for an August cruise: "If you have not purchased a transfer through Holland America Line, one may be purchased for the day of embarkation/disembarkation (please include your final flight into the city of embarkation and the first flight out for disembarkation). Please have your travel advisor call Holland America Line at 1-877-724-5425 or 1-206-286-3900 with your Holland America Line six-digit confirmation number and flight itinerary (airline carrier, flight number, departure dates and times). Transfer reservations must be made and paid for at least 14 days prior to your sailing date. If you have purchased transfer service or pre-packages through Holland America Line, please refer to your itinerary for specific instructions".

23 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I' more worried about disembarkation. The ship returns on the 21st and I have an 11am flight to the US. We'll see what happens!

I doubt you’ll make the flight. 

We disembark in Amsterdam July 17. Had HAL transfer to the airport. Got to the airport at 8:30am. It took us 3 HOURS to get through baggage drop off, security, and passport control. 3 different lines. British Airways started boarding a minute after we got to the gate. 

If we didn’t have priority (business class) we would not have made our flight. 

15 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Great idea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I doubt you’ll make the flight. 

We disembark in Amsterdam July 17. Had HAL transfer to the airport. Got to the airport at 8:30am. It took us 3 HOURS to get through baggage drop off, security, and passport control. 3 different lines. British Airways started boarding a minute after we got to the gate. 

If we didn’t have priority (business class) we would not have made our flight. 

Great idea. 

I really not worried too much. I am booked on the 11:30am AMS-BOS nonstop flight with Delta. There are two more nonstop flights each day if I miss this one. I am also not sure what advantage changing my flight to the next day would do. Delta is still recommending that I arrive at the airport three hours before departure and that's when I would get to the airport anyway. One thing I could do is carry-on only. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, fkfad said:

Yes, you need a Covid test at least three days prior to embarkation.  We got our tests this morning, 7/28, and are anxiously awaiting the official results.

You need the test within 3 days, not at least 3 days.  You will have to re test prior to boarding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Not a chance!

Schiphol is understaffed security can take 3 hours you need to be there 4 hours in advance.