No More Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated guests on voyages less than 6 nights starting August 8th!

2 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Sorry, I think that a crazy statement to say if you had to have covid to be living your life.  My husband and I haven't caught it yet.  We have traveled domestically multiple times during the pandemic, saw Broadway shows, ballgames, friends, etc and have avoided it.  I know we will get it eventually since we have our 1st cruise back since the pandemic coming up.  We do mask in large crowds.

Agreed. Many have not gotten it and lived life normally. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If they don't have passengers or not very full on the ships going to Bermuda, watch things change, watch the cruise lines put some serious pressure on the government of Bermuda.  

The cruise lines have discussions with Bermuda all the time and I would guess they do put pressure on the government of Bermuda. Since the current government there has only very  limited opposition right now that may not have much effect. As for full ships it seems the Bermuda sailings have been full to the capacity  the cruise lines have been selling this season. Trip reports indicate the beaches and other attractions there are crowded. 

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The cruise lines have discussions with Bermuda all the time and I would guess they do put pressure on the government of Bermuda. Since the current government there has only very  limited opposition right now that may not have much effect. As for full ships it seems the Bermuda sailings have been full to the capacity  the cruise lines have been selling this season. Trip reports indicate the beaches and other attractions there are crowded. 

We'll have to see what happens if people are willing to put up with Bermuda's requirements or move on to other more reasonable destinations.  I hope they become more reasonable, soon, I'd like to go back.  

As of about a minute ago, Bermuda has a 7 day average of 29 new cases and some of those days just weren't reported.  It may seem small, but their populations is small.  And their 7 day average of deaths is 0.  So, as far as new cases are concerned, I wonder how they feel about their policy.  Pre-cruise testing doesn't seem to be doing much as far as infections are concerned, people are still getting off of cruise ships (and tourism in general) with COVID.  It also shows that the death rate is down, way down.

We, not just us in the U.S., have learned to treat COVID and getting better.  Unless something miraculous happens in the medical/Pharm industry, we are stuck with COVID in the long run.  We need to move on just like we have with the flu, et al.  NOTE: in this paragraph, we meaning the Global Community.  

• Like 2

Luckily the longer cruises still have testing otherwise I wouldn't be looking to travel with Royal in September. Yes COVID will still get on the ship but this does help cut it down some.

Plus the big benefit of testing being a thing is that Royal will let you cancel last moment. Maybe they keep this around with testing being dropped though.

I will say as well I am good if they let unvaccinated guests travel of any age as well. Since the shutdown for me its always been testing was the best, then masking to an extent, and anything with unvaccinated never made that much sense.

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

We'll have to see what happens if people are willing to put up with Bermuda's requirements or move on to other more reasonable destinations.  I hope they become more reasonable, soon, I'd like to go back.  

As of about a minute ago, Bermuda has a 7 day average of 29 new cases and some of those days just weren't reported.  It may seem small, but their populations is small.  And their 7 day average of deaths is 0.  So, as far as new cases are concerned, I wonder how they feel about their policy.  Pre-cruise testing doesn't seem to be doing much as far as infections are concerned, people are still getting off of cruise ships (and tourism in general) with COVID.  It also shows that the death rate is down, way down.

We, not just us in the U.S., have learned to treat COVID and getting better.  Unless something miraculous happens in the medical/Pharm industry, we are stuck with COVID in the long run.  We need to move on just like we have with the flu, et al.  NOTE: in this paragraph, we meaning the Global Community.  

Population was 64,000 in 2020. 29 cases is nothing. 

21 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Many of Mario's cruises are b2B,  and B2B testing was eliminated a few months ago.  He, of course, had to test for the first cruise.    I don't know his testing requirements, and it is none of my business.   

M

I did not realize that you did not have to test for each individual cruise if you are booked B2B.  Thanks for clarifying.

The fact that the CDC, THE CDC, is willing to give up all requirements to cruise says everything we need to know.  

This is the most risk averse public health agency that imposed all of these conditions in the first place.  Now the CDC doesn't think that the protocols are required anymore.

Enough said.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rrraydon said:

I don't know why anyone would want to go to Bermuda anyway. Been there a half dozen times, not much there to warrant the hassle. Drop them until they relax their covid testing mandates and their additional fees. They're just making money off of covid.

Bermuda is one of our favorites!    We have been there many times for cruises and family land vacations!   

Yes, I agree their $40 TA is not something I am fan of, possibly the reason could be,   if Royal drops them they may lose their spot to dock for future sailings.    

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I did not realize that you did not have to test for each individual cruise if you are booked B2B.  Thanks for clarifying.

B2B testing was required until late April.  Then, all of the sudden, it wasn't.    

M

So we are paying more for port, fees and taxes,insurance and now we have to pay for covid tests that they could pay us to take since we are helping them by cruising.   It's getting ridiculous!

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean has a contract to send ships to Bermuda. They are not going to stop sending ships there. But they would not stop anyway because of testing. 

For me it’s not so much about the testing for Bermuda that annoys me, it’s about the $40 bucks per person Bermuda is making off of Covid. It’s a sham. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I believe I now have "LONG COVID" as my nose is continuously runny.   

I have "long COVID".  Myine is a partial loss of smell. Right after my Nov. 2020 bout, I lost taste and smell.  Taste came back, but smell only partially.  There are some chemicals that trigger no smell response for me.  An example is that sewage only smells like sulfur.  And so do eggs.  So you could blindfold me and put either poo or eggs under my nose and I couldn't distinguish them - jut sulfur for both of them.  An interesting side-effect of that is that for the chemicals I do smell, I have "super-smell".  I guess with all the other things I can't smell filtered out, I can home in on those that I do.  Some people think this is just horrible, but I've always had an odd sense of smell due to a high school chemistry lab incident.  This is just different, and luckily I can smell smoke and fuels, so it's not dangerous.  

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, smokeybandit said:

It's not better than nothing when you're likely to piss off your loyal big spender cruisers by establishing policy that caters to the one-off weekender crowd.

I don’t understand your point. I am a few cruises from becoming Diamond plus and I frequently go on 3 day weekend cruises. Several of my friends who are already Diamond plus also frequently go on the shorter weekend cruises.  On most of the short cruises I meet lots of people on the ship at bars, Diamond lounge, etc. who also frequently cruise on shorter cruises. While I can understand your frustration, I don’t think there is much truth to your comment. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

On 7/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, mkrr1123 said:

Does not help me and my stress level for our cruise on the 4th.  One of the families just had their daughter test positive yesterday so they are out. Luckily my girls have not seen her for at least 2 weeks but  I am a wreck about whether or not we will be getting on that boat on next Thursday.   This is so stressful.  I was so hoping for the requirement to be dropped August first. 

That's the plan!  I'm surprised no one figured it (targeting stress; yes, I seriously know that; otherwise, we wouldn't read all this non-stop escalating pumping whipped up nonsense) out yet.  I actually knew it before it even started (around March 5 2020).

I am disappointed that they are lowering or dropping the vax requirement. On a certain blog, there is a text screen of a conversation with Bayley where he confirms unvaccinated people can now book without exemptions.

3 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Population was 64,000 in 2020. 29 cases is nothing. 

Unless you are one of the 29 cases.  

USA = 332 million population - 7 day average of 131k = 0.39%

Bermuda = 64,000 population - 7 day average of 29 = .045%

So, the % in the U.S.A. is nothing, too.  Even a better nothing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The reason they believe they need their policy is because they are small. The have one small hospital and a small medical community. They don't have a large back up medical infrastructure. 

2 minutes ago, cured said:

I am disappointed that they are lowering or dropping the vax requirement. On a certain blog, there is a text screen of a conversation with Bayley where he confirms unvaccinated people can now book without exemptions.

Why? I am mad that I missed it but happy others can start cruising again 🙂

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Numbers not bad at all and hope all have mild symptoms 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rrraydon said:

For me it’s not so much about the testing for Bermuda that annoys me, it’s about the $40 bucks per person Bermuda is making off of Covid. It’s a sham. 

The $40 does not bother me. What bothers me is that they don't need the Travel Authorization process. The cruise line can verify vaccination status and the negative test at embarkation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Six nights ?

Maybe the next time they roll the dice to make a choice they could at least use a die with seven sides? LOL.

Somewhere I have some old dungeon and dragon 12 sided dice.  I need to find them and mail them to Miami!😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The reason they believe they need their policy is because they are small. The have one small hospital and a small medical community. They don't have a large back up medical infrastructure. 

And allowing people to come into the country that haven't tested in about 4 or 5 days or longer will help that?  I don't think so.  People that haven't tested in about 4 or 5 days or longer that have been more socially active than usual, I must add.  Again, it's all white wash.  In Bermuda's case, it's a money grab for the none refundable $40.00 tax, entry fee that they already have one included in your cruise fare and personal information.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The 29 cases are a big drop. They have had over 100 at times. Their number of deaths has dropped too. They will say that is because their policies are successful. Don't get me wrong, I don't like their requirements but they make sense to them and we can argue about it all the time but because of thier history with colonialism they can and will be stubborn. Also unlike some destinations while a part of their economy is tourism  and they want tourists it is only part of their economy. Banking and financial services are 85% of their economy. 

Edited by Charles4515