Currently on Sojourn

PaulaJK

We are sailing Sojourn on 8/28.-9/11 but this is b2 b 7 day cruises.

I am uncertain whether there will be a formal/dressy night(s). Opinions?

For men…a sports jacket, shirt and tie or is a suit more relevant?

What is the current mask protocol..airports, airlines, onboard?

Does anyone have experience obtaining an antigen

test in Rome?

Thank you

We just returned from the Quest.  You should have at least one formal night per segment if I'm not mistaken.   A sports coat with a tie is fine, a suit would be nice.  On our formal night, dress was all over the map, including a couple who arrived at the restaurant in shorts and t-shirts who quickly realized they should dine eleswhere.

We flew from LAX to Rome on July 7, masks were recommended both in the airport and on flight.  We wore our the entire time unless eating or drinking.  I would say about 50% shared our diligence. On board the crew is wearing masks indoors, but very few passages wore them.  Seabourn stated that masks were required for tenders and shuttle buses, however there was zero enforcement.  

We opted to use eMed for our testing needs.  Buy the testing kits before you leave and take them with you.  We ordered a few extras in case requirements to re-enter the US changed while we were abroad.(plus if you need to re-test or something goes wrong it's always a good idea to have a few extra) Download the app at home.  Then when you need to test follow the instructions on the box, it uses a "zoom" like video call to make it a proctored Covid test.  Seabourn recommended this brand and it was very easy to do the tests in our hotel room.  Plus you can submit the cost to your health insurance, assuming you are in the US.  We were reimbursed for the cost of the tests (minus shipping).  We needed to test in Rome on a Sunday and the options were very limited. 

Thank you very much for your very informative reply.

since I am not a techie, I am sweating the zoom component…assume we need a voltage converter for the hotel. Wise advice to order extra kits.

Tests are no longer required to re-enter the US.  Don't buy the proctored zoom tests. You might want to bring a couple of the regular home tests for your own use in case you start developing suspicious symptoms. 

3 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Thank you very much for your very informative reply.

since I am not a techie, I am sweating the zoom component…assume we need a voltage converter for the hotel. Wise advice to order extra kits.

Paula as Australians we don't have access to the online testing g anyway so we just got it done at a pharmacy in Rome. Our Hotel told us the closest one and we went there, we didn't need a booking. We got the results 20 minutes later via email. It was a bit tricky for us to get the certificate as in Italian so the hotel sorted it and printed us a paper copy. But the testing at the pharmacy was fine, you just needed to fill out the form. 

Talking about masks when we were there two weeks ago in Rome when you go into the pharmacy, even to buy something simple, everyone wears a mask. They frown at you if you aren't.

On the ship all the crew where a mask apart from those constantly working outside in Patio area. Between 90-95% of passengers are not wearing a mask so I don't know how the ship is supposed to enforce everyone to wear them. Passengers push back about not wearing things like shorts and jeans in the MDR. I know the seating hostess finds that is the most exhausting part of her job. So trying to enforce everyone wear a mask when inside, which is only a suggestion not a requirement, would be impossible. 

For the one tour we did in Spanish Morocco before boarding the Seabourn team member asked people did they have a mask before boarding the bus. My husband and I wore ours but out of the other dozen people only 2 or 3 others did,  and these were all people older than us apart from one young man. 

From what I have read on the other luxury boards it sounds like it is similar on other ships. 

• Like 1

You know, Julie, the dogged lack of compliance about masking on cruise ships generally, the luxury lines I know specifically ie Seabourn and Silversea, in public areas on the ship and on ships' tours, makes me 

tetchy, to say the least. And so I developed a strategy to avoid those potential spreaders which is simply to eat out of doors at the Patio/E&O, the Colonnade and in our suite as often as possible. I also evacuate from the Grand Salon, the beautiful Obs Bar and intimate Club (where they have those fancy hors d'ouvres) when the maskless passing trade exceeds some number/space ratio. And no tour buses ever.

Is this difficult? Not at all. It beats wondering why that crowd cannot be bothered to follow directions which, after all, are in their best interests relative to their own health and the long term success of the cruise line they patronise.

Which leads me to question whether these people would submit to daily Covid tests if they were so confident in avoiding Covid generally- if that were a condition of the line operating a mask free cruise....

Oh and for Mr L who introduced the subject of naturists, the masking business would apply to their noses and mouths indoors too, if you are concerned about inhibiting those who would not be inhibited.

Just sayin'

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3

-Marazul, We need a test to board the ship as we will be in Rome several days pre embarkation .

- masking is required in USA in all health care facilities, including pharmacies…and observed. Otherwise, it seems to resemble that on the ships.

-We will check w the hotel as one option or take emed which rungirl

nicely mastered.

2 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

-Marazul, We need a test to board the ship as we will be in Rome several days pre embarkation .

- masking is required in USA in all health care facilities, including pharmacies…and observed. Otherwise, it seems to resemble that on the ships.

-We will check w the hotel as one option or take emed which rungirl

nicely mastered.

OK. I thought you were buying them for when you re-entered the US. Yes, go to a pharmacy in Rome and get your test before the cruise.   You can tell which pharmacies give them because they install a little tent on the sidewalk to administer the test.  And your hotel knows the closest ones. That's what we did last month. 

5 hours ago, markham said:

You know, Julie, the dogged lack of compliance about masking on cruise ships generally, the luxury lines I know specifically ie Seabourn and Silversea, in public areas on the ship and on ships' tours, makes me 

tetchy, to say the least. And so I developed a strategy to avoid those potential spreaders which is simply to eat out of doors at the Patio/E&O, the Colonnade and in our suite as often as possible. I also evacuate from the Grand Salon, the beautiful Obs Bar and intimate Club (where they have those fancy hors d'ouvres) when the maskless passing trade exceeds some number/space ratio. And no tour buses ever.

I do remember you mentioning this to me and I thought it was sensible and tried to follow the same pattern. I must admit to not being as vigilant at the moment though as we are planning to go to the MDR tonight for formal night. Rightly or wrongly I feel much safer post recovery from Covid plus having our fourth injection recently. We are also highly unlikely to be passing anything on.

Though I still try to avoid large groups of people.

6 hours ago, markham said:

And so I developed a strategy to avoid those potential spreaders which is simply to eat out of doors at the Patio/E&O, the Colonnade and in our suite as often as possible. I also evacuate from the Grand Salon, the beautiful Obs Bar and intimate Club (where they have those fancy hors d'ouvres) when the maskless passing trade exceeds some number/space ratio. And no tour buses ever.

Is this difficult? Not at all. It beats wondering why that crowd cannot be bothered to follow directions which, after all, are in their best interests relative to their own health and the long term success of the cruise line they patronise.

Which leads me to question whether these people would submit to daily Covid tests if they were so confident in avoiding Covid generally- if that were a condition of the line operating a mask free cruise....

I applaud you for your strategy, but not going everywhere and enjoying every venue would kill some of the joy of cruising for us.  So--we may be sitting out for quite a long time--I hope not forever.  I think it  is definitely important to stay off of tour buses!  

And yes, I would gladly submit to daily testing if the ship was mask free.  I'm probably an outlier in this respect.  I think Viking did this--at least for a while. 

I am not naive.  I recognize that Covid may be with us always.  We may just be vacationing in a different way from here on out--and I am sad about that.  I applaud those willing to go through quarantine on ships if that is what happens.  I am just not one of those people.  I have very little fear of dying of Covid, but just don't want the hassles--which is what we have right now.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

We’re on Sojourn right now…. Having a great time.

Masks…we’re mask wearers, and we’re in the minority.  Food staff have masks (mostly), with the exception of poolside bars.  Officers occasionally have them but not often.  We’ve been observing before responding to this and would estimate 10% are wearing masks.  There are plenty of outdoor options for dining and drinks. 
Tests… who knows if there will still be testing requirements by the time you board!  We’ve done the proctored tests twice.  It’s not zoom but a video session through their website, so you need to have a computer with a camera and it needs to stay in one position looking at the test for 15 minutes. We always pre-test before doing the proctored just to be safe.  
Dress… We’ve seen everything so far… tuxes to short sleeve button up shirts & slacks and everything in between. We saw no jacket enforcement. 

To the last question regarding food and service…. Food has been very good so far (4/5) noting we all come with different expectations and preferences. Service varies widely with a predominantly very junior, inexperienced crew. The Restaurant & Colonnade requests are forgotten often. Last night (night 3) was the first time we felt like dinner service was up to SB standards… and it was exceptional. Shout out to Cesar and everyone he’s training. Given Sojourn was the last to restart, we understand but are disappointed. 

We haven’t seen any signs of positive Covid on board yet, but not sure if we would. Nothing in the very active passenger rumor mill or side conversations with favorite staff.  

Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thanks washdcguy can you tell us if the boat generally is up to the Seasbourn standard and are the cabins in good nick or in need of refurbishme

nt....we are on Sojourn in May...thanks

Since they only send info 2 weeks prior and I am trying to arrange transfer from Rome to port, does anyone have experience or a good guess as to boarding time?

Thanks for the pharmacy testing idea which hotel has confirmed…relieved.

Pyffii  - Sojourn is in very good shape. If you didn’t know it, it would be hard to know she’s ~12 years old.  All furnishings look in great condition at every venue. 

CanAmBrit -  Our sailing is almost completely full. We heard we were at ~420. 

Follow up to some of the earlier questions, on our 10 night sailing, there is only one formal night. 

In another thread by texanaust, there was some discussion about the utility of the early cruise survey to address any concerns.  Well, we completed it based on our disappointing first two nights of service, and we can say that we have never seen such a strong effort at service recovery.  They really took our feedback seriously and worked to improve what we mentioned. It really seems the officers and managers on the ship want to get it right and it’s just some training for newer staff.  Our discussion with one of the waiters bringing room service summed it up:  in talking about The Restaurant, he said it’s so formal, so many rules.  He didn’t like that part, which is the difference between polished service and “fancy like Applebees on a date night.” (Walker Hayes song reference)

• Like 2

@washdcguy Glad to hear back from you and that the Sojourn is in good shape.  I'd be keen to know how your day was in Golfo Aranci.  Not the most convenient port of call in Sardinia for sightseeing but it looks low-key with some nice beachfront restaurants.

@Fletcher Golfo Aranci is indeed a sleepy little port. But we had a marina day in the morning, and a beautiful day for it.  We cancelled our excursion to partake.  They offered a shuttle over to Olbia where there was a bit more to do. No taxis to be seen at the port, but I’m sure it could have been arranged to get to one of the beaches. 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, PaulaJK said:

Since they only send info 2 weeks prior and I am trying to arrange transfer from Rome to port, does anyone have experience or a good guess as to boarding time?

Thanks for the pharmacy testing idea which hotel has confirmed…relieved.

PaulaJK,

We are boarding Sojourn on 8/29 and our travel agent suggested that we plan to board about 1:00.  I assume we will have a more accurate boarding time when we are closer to sail date.  We arranged for pickup at 11 from central Rome to the port.

Well, I guess we got what we asked for, a quiet cruise with impeccable service!! Less than 24 hours after boarding the Soujourn we tested positive for Covid. So now we have at least 5 quiet days in our suite along with guest and room service at our beck and call. The service and food have been really great so far.