Currently on Sojourn

PaulaJK

@CanAmBrit I'm sorry to hear this and absolutely amazed.  Three people/couples on the Sojourn started to write for CruiseCritic and they all test positive.  And they all start from different places and get on at different ports. Frankly I don't either believe it or understand it. Did they test you as a matter of routine or were you having symptoms and asked for a test?  If the former I am beginning to doubt the validity of the on-board tests.  

We are due to board the Sojourn in six weeks and currently we're see-sawing between confident and worried.  And we expect Seabourn might soon relax all the Covid requirements on the lines of Regent.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

We tested negative in Toronto on Friday afternoon, left on Saturday afternoon for  Barcelona. The flight was delayed two hours. We spent most of that time in the business class lounge which was not too crowded but then had to fight our way to the gate through many sleeping people on the ground and then stand shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of others waiting to board. We felt fine when we landed on Sunday morning and still OK when we boarded but during Sunday night we developed runny noses and a fever. We called medical on Monday morning and tested positive. Unlike our last Seabourn cruises in  September and March there was no testing on the dock before boarding. So, not sure where we caught this but suspect the airport.

The good news is that we are feeling great today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CanAmBrit said:

We tested negative in Toronto on Friday afternoon, left on Saturday afternoon for  Barcelona. The flight was delayed two hours. We spent most of that time in the business class lounge which was not too crowded but then had to fight our way to the gate through many sleeping people on the ground and then stand shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of others waiting to board. We felt fine when we landed on Sunday morning and still OK when we boarded but during Sunday night we developed runny noses and a fever. We called medical on Monday morning and tested positive. Unlike our last Seabourn cruises in  September and March there was no testing on the dock before boarding. So, not sure where we caught this but suspect the airport.

Sorry to read that you tested positive.  Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

@CanAmBrit I'm sorry to hear this and absolutely amazed.  Three people/couples on the Sojourn started to write for CruiseCritic and they all test positive.  And they all start from different places and get on at different ports. Frankly I don't either believe it or understand it. Did they test you as a matter of routine or were you having symptoms and asked for a test?  If the former I am beginning to doubt the validity of the on-board tests.  

We are due to board the Sojourn in six weeks and currently we're see-sawing between confident and worried.  And we expect Seabourn might soon relax all the Covid requirements on the lines of Regent.  

No cases of the Pox here on board Encore.

Do you think that it's a Sojourn thing 😉

1 hour ago, CanAmBrit said:

Many thanks for that.  It does seem that air travel might be the major culprit and we're tempted to wear hazmat suits for our short hop from UK to Spain.  I do hope you are both released from captivity asap. At least you're not on prison gristle and water every day. 

Is everything OK aboard the Sojourn?  The other day it was scheduled to stop at Bandol, sailed right up to the port, changed its mind and went to Marseilles instead.  Yesterday it was in Sete as scheduled.  Today it was supposed to be in Port Vendres, sailed right up there, changed its mind and is now headed to Palma de Mallorca where it is scheduled for tomorrow. Today will now be a sea day.  

I noticed on Cruisemapper that it was blowing a gale as they approached Port Vendres.  That could be the reason, as it is quite a difficult little port to get into - a shame, though, as it is lovely round there, with the chance of a visit to Collioure.

We have been experiencing some bad weather, high winds especially. We could not get into Bandol the other day so went into Marseille instead and today we are just puttering around off the Spanish coast. Wind has died down now and I am soaking up the warm sun by the small pool at the back of deck. 5. We were expected to anchor off Port Vendres today but wind was very bad during the night so captain decided sea was too rough for tendering  this morning, hence the puttering around.

Should be back to normal high temps tomorrow in Palma.

• Thanks 1

The Captain of the Sojourn is Hamish Elliott, Seabourn’s longest serving captain.

We are disembarking  tomorrow after two very different weeks, both health wise and weather wise! Our first week was marred by Covid and the necessary 5 day quarantine. The medical staff were excellent, room service and guest services went above and beyond to keep us happy. 
The weather deteriorated somewhat the second week but it did not stop us making up for lost time.

It is our first time on the Sojourn after 46 days on the Quest and 28 days on the Ovation. I found the ship to be in need of minor repairs, especially in the bathroom. Neither my husband or I could turn on the shower. It was so stiff! Water could not be retained in either sink or the bathtub. They had to be adjusted and the safe had to be replaced as it could not be programmed. Ryan in guest services quickly found solutions to these problems, much to our delight.

For the most part the crew have been very accommodating and service has been good, as have most of the meals. Only 310 guests this week so the staff to guest ratio has been excellent.

Our main complaint has been breakfast both in the Colonnade and The Patio. The service has been constantly chaotic! One morning my husband received 3 orders of his meal, despite ordering only once. Our server said that the kitchen was in disarray with new staff etc. The wait for orders at the Patio has been long and again no one seemed to know what they were doing, 2 orders of juice, when one was ordered and no tea. Apparently the tea machine was broken. (I thought one only needed boiling water!).
Evening meals in the MDR, TK Grill and Colonnade have been much more organized and efficient with no complaints from us.

Our next cruise on the Quest cannot come soon enough. We are still enjoying the Seabourn life despite Covid and a few minor inconveniences. So roll on January!

Enjoy your cruise, Paula.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the mention of Hamish. We are on Sojourn in July. Maybe he rotates with Tim Roberts these days?

Yes, we look forward to Quest as well in January, and hope that all these maintenance and training issues are sorted by then. See you then!

Happy and healthy sailing!