Cruise to Alaska

Moose12345

We are Canadian and flying out of Toronto Ontario to Anchorage. 

I'm wondering if there are any other Canadians who have flown from Toronto who could fill me in on how bad Toronto airport is. I'm going to try and go with just a carry-on to avoid lost luggage. But I'm worried about cancelled flights etc. 

Hoping someone else has done the trip already.😁

We are American and just went on an Alaskan cruise and fly from Vancouver to Toronto as part of our trip home.  Toronto airport was awful!! We spent 2.5 hours trying to get through customs to tell them we had nothing to declare.  At one point customs shut the door and didn't allow anyone in for about 15 minutes.  Travelers were angry and they missed flights.  We had a 6 hour layover so we were ok.  After Vancouver being such a nice, clean airport, Toronto was a big disappointment.  It was dirty and it didn't seem to matter to anyone that people were missing their flights.  I hope I never have to fly through Toronto again.

If you are flying out of TO this summer, yes it is a mess. You don't say when you are flying, what airline you are on, what your connecting airports are. If your connecting airport is in Canada, then you won't have to preclear immigration and customs until you arrive there. But if your connecting airport is in the US, then you'll have to preclear in Toronto. Usually the advice for international flights is to arrive 3 hours early. I think you would want to arrive even earlier, especially if your flight is in the morning. And hopefully you have ample time at your connecting airport(s).

Not much you can do about canceled flights other than to monitor the airline site,  and hopefully you've signed up for notifications.  And are flying a couple of days before you sail.

Edited by mom says

On the Air Canada website it recommends at least 3 hours. 

I have to connect from Windsor through Toronto for Rome, I asked for the first flight of he day even if I have several hours in Pearson just so I can make the connecting flight

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

If you are flying out of TO this summer, yes it is a mess. You don't say when you are flying, what airline you are on, what your connecting airports are. If your connecting airport is in Canada, then you won't have to preclear immigration and customs until you arrive there. But if your connecting airport is in the US, then you'll have to preclear in Toronto. Usually the advice for international flights is to arrive 3 hours early. I think you would want to arrive even earlier, especially if your flight is in the morning. And hopefully you have ample time at your connecting airport(s).

Not much you can do about canceled flights other than to monitor the airline site,  and hopefully you've signed up for notifications.  And are flying a couple of days before you sail.

We are flying  the first part of September  and have a connecting flight in Chicago with a 4 hr layover. The flight is with American Airlines. We plan on being at the airport with lots of time to spare. I'd rather sit in the airport for a few hours than miss my flight. 

1 hour ago, Moose12345 said:

We are flying  the first part of September  and have a connecting flight in Chicago with a 4 hr layover. The flight is with American Airlines. We plan on being at the airport with lots of time to spare. I'd rather sit in the airport for a few hours than miss my flight. 

So you have to preclear in TO. Definitely get there more than 3 hours early. Looks like you've got lots of time in Chicago if your first flight is delayed. Best of luck and have a great cruise.