Btimmer's Almost Live Nieuw Statendam Canada, Greenland, Iceland Trip - 8/3-27/22

Btimmer

19 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Tonight we treated ourselves to a musical theater performance of "A Beautiful Noise" featuring the music of Neil Diamond.  6 more performances here and it opens on Broadway in November.

Run don't walk to see this if you have any interest in Neil Diamond's music. Over 30 songs in it! We've seen him in concert, and this rivals those concerts.
 86A154BA-B01B-43EC-A516-5EE018E549F3.thumb.jpeg.da2686be83cf071892457374ba65f21b.jpeg

Well now I'm really jealous! We've seen him in concert 25 times over the years, so you might say I'm a big fan.  Good for you! 

And thank you for "bringing us along"!

• Like 2

After a pleasant morning visiting the Faneuil Hall, we retrieved our luggage and used Uber to reach the cruise port.  The check in line was at least 1/4 mile long but fortunately it was in the shade.  We waited in line for one hour and 9 minutes before we entered the building where everyone had to pass through the security scanners.  After that they separated the sheep from the goats (sheep were those who used Verifly to upload all their documents goats were those who didn't). As a sheep we then were directed to a 4-5 star Mariner line which quickly led to our official check in using a scanner and comparison to our passport. With a quick stop at the embarkation photo area, we were free to board the ship. This was absolutely the worst embarkation we have ever had.

Once onboard, we found our room after 1 hour and 49 minutes from when we joined the line, stripped off our valuables for the safe, watched the safety video, and headed out for a 4-5 star reception.  It was scheduled for 2-3, but we couldn't get there until 2:50.  There wasn't much happening so we left for a light lunch in the Lido where we watched airplane activity at Logan International while eating and chilling out. We then checked in for our muster drill before returning to the stateroom to find our luggage on board.

Finally just before 5 the Captain came on the PA with his safety drill info followed by an announcement that our departure delay to 6pm because of heavy re-provisioning, the Coast Guard inspection and mandatory safety drill for crew.

We have a 7pm dinner reservation in the Tamarind which is our favorite Hal Specialty restaurant.  The Origin story is being presented on the main stage, but we'll skip it as we've seen it multiple times.

And yes there is a mandatory mask wearing policy when in interior locations of the ship except when actively eating or drinking.

9F671E93-53E5-4E1F-B26F-DD55E1FA4FD8.thumb.jpeg.8413c7c8927091dade4f78ee88126660.jpegFaneuil Hall

71F6AA35-CDEB-42FF-BEA8-27C74E8E27E2.thumb.jpeg.379ce0b264754c8a5bfc689af05fa423.jpegfront facing interior 

09CF78B0-C32C-47E9-B375-1EEBE53831DC.thumb.jpeg.948fd0c55a1aec249673ec6dc708d00b.jpeginterior

D42F282C-1273-4AC6-962D-253E2204F508.thumb.jpeg.f8868e19299c32c53e0a37ac08cc1612.jpegmedical emergency while in line

C474546D-F45C-4991-B192-754965C9B165.thumb.jpeg.caf2af3619da278dcaa26f2c1608f71c.jpeg1/4 mike line 

537D600E-E0AA-4336-B599-C5BF54FD18D6.thumb.jpeg.c9107cadc526fd9612a4c09e095e5f7d.jpeggetting on board 

9E089D63-15B0-4179-AF1B-8E82BA3A3474.thumb.jpeg.248e54470cc4dfc38651ced5b3cf47d5.jpegaft view

1DB03BC5-B020-4E65-9FB2-A9DEE32A1AA1.thumb.jpeg.1e058368d6cd4b65ea7e59d4be53ff44.jpegairport view

13D70CA3-9E0E-45E5-8174-B1195A2078A5.thumb.jpeg.6250bc41599f514e3fe08c5d377e85ef.jpegprovisions to load 

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

As of 5:40pm with 45 pallets to be loaded, there's no way we're departing at 6pm.

B0CE3A7B-2D33-41B7-A90F-C547DE707A45.thumb.jpeg.1c86e5a95f8a6fa6c07376ea7ad1fe52.jpeg

I am sure after our 18 cruise, and just a little re-supply (fuel and fish)in Alesund, Norway, I am sure she was very empty...particularly perishables, although the fruits and vegetables were still very good, except bananas, which weren't put on public display,  as they were totally brown and unattractive, exteriorly. I know she was running out of champagne. 

I bet your cruise will get supplied in Reykjavik. 

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

medical emergency while in line

Experienced this prior to a VOV on Rotterdam VI.  Arriving at the port, tripped over some luggage outside the terminal.  Long story that involved someone calling 911, a fire truck arriving that couldn't deal with whatever issue someone thought there was, then an EMT who took me to Tufts Hospital (along with  a port agency staff member who stayed with me throughout this "adventure"--many thanks!), a CAT scan of my head (yes, there really is a Brain there and it's OK), a Tuft's doctor's clearance and a return to the terminal for me to embark.  Then, the Rotterdam's doctor was not satisfied with the clearance paperwork for me to sail from the Tuft's doctor, phone calls/e-mails between the two finally cleared for me to embark.  Trying to check in, I wasn't able to do because the overly cautious Rotterdam doctor had not released me to be allowed to embark.  Another of the Port Agent's staff members was able to finally get that resolved and I made it to my stateroom, in a wheelchair which was totally unneeded, about 7 hours after I arrived at the pier.  Thank goodness the ship didn't sail until late at night!  

I can not say enough about the staff members of the Port of Boston's HAL agents that were on duty that day.  Were it not for there help and concern, I would never have embarked in Boston on my VOV cruise.  If at all.  

• Like 4

This morning we woke up to fog.

There was an excellent M&G this morning where I met a few more travelers.  

There have been frequent reminders about the mandatory mask policy by the Captain and Cruise Director and we're looking forward to 91°f tomorrow. Our inside stateroom is wonderful: quiet and smooth.

• Like 3

Hope you have a great cruise, we did coming over from Copenhagen.  I really recommend the Cellar Master's Dinner, if they have one, in the Canaletto.  The collaboration between Miroslav (Miki), the Cellar Master and Cesare, the Italian Executive Chef, was really delicious.  Much better value than the Pinnacle Gala, we found.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here's a few observations from today.

1.  The ship is sailing at about 1,900 passengers out of a capacity for 2,600.

2.  There is an incredible number of passengers having trouble with the Navigator APP.  The line at the front desk has been constantly at 15 to 20 people with many of those with APP issues.  There are even roving HAL ship personnel trying to assist those in line  with problems.  While we haven't had issues, the lines and verbal expressions of frustration are quite apparent.  Any HAL IT executive worth his pay grade would be wise to visit a ship or two on embarkation day and the days following to observe and pursue solutions for a better customer experience.  There's also a need for those who chose to not bring technology.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Btimmer said:

While we haven't had issues, the lines and verbal expressions of frustration are quite apparent.  Any HAL IT executive worth his pay grade would be wise to visit a ship or two on embarkation day and the days following to observe and pursue solutions for a better customer experience.  There's also a need for those who chose to not bring technology.

I have a better idea than having an IT executive aboard.  Get rid of this "wonderful improvement in guest service" and return to what is known to work reliably.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since there's two threads from two different folks on the same cruise:

First off, super jealous, as I'm looking to do this in 2026 once my last kid graduates high school as a gift for the wife and I.  But I just looked at the HAL site and this cruise is only available once in 2023...on the Zaandam.  Any insight on why they would switch ships?

54 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

First off, super jealous, as I'm looking to do this in 2026 once my last kid graduates high school as a gift for the wife and I.  But I just looked at the HAL site and this cruise is only available once in 2023...on the Zaandam.  Any insight on why they would switch ships?

We're only 1900 passengers out of a capacity of 2600 while the Zaandam's capacity is around 1900.  That might explain it as they probably want to deploy the NS where it can be packed.  But I'm only speculating.  BTW, I would not hesitate to sail on the Zaandam.  We sailed to Antarctica on it in early 2016.  It was a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 2

Since today has been a day of observations for me, I'll make a few more:  

1. Actual drinks were passed out at the Captain's toast and not drink coupons.  And this was the first time the Captain didn't lead a toast; he simply gave a speech and introduced his senior officers.

2.  I've seen the Captain in the Lido getting food.  This is the first time since the resumption of cruising that I've observed this.

3.  Mask compliance indoors seems to pretty high.

4. For those persons in outside staterooms located in the forward part of the ship, they must be quite annoyed by the foghorn going off every few minutes.

• Like 4

On 8/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, Cruising-along said:

Well now I'm really jealous! We've seen him in concert 25 times over the years, so you might say I'm a big fan.  Good for you! 

And thank you for "bringing us along"!

I'm with you @Cruising-alongbeing jealous. Did you see Neil when he was in Seattle for 5 nights? My friend and I managed all 5 nights with seats in various sections of the arena. Front row one night which was amazing!!! And behind the band, 2nd level, which was a blast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I'm with you @Cruising-alongbeing jealous. Did you see Neil when he was in Seattle for 5 nights? My friend and I managed all 5 nights with seats in various sections of the arena. Front row one night which was amazing!!! And behind the band, 2nd level, which was a blast.

We saw him in two different occasions for one night only.

2 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I looked at the 2023 cruise. Zaandam is an R class ship and can take 1432 passengers. Nice size and great promenade deck. Inside and outside cabins are spacious. But no Tamarind restaurant. Maybe HAL thought there would be a rush of people in 2022 then much less interest for 2023.

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Yes, but not all 5 nights, that's great!  We saw him every time he toured wherever we were living, so about every 2 years.  The only times we went two nights in a row were in San Diego and in Seattle/second night in Vancouver.  

Re tech issues, HAL needs to get a tech expert back on board to take the load and issues off the front desk.  We cruised Celebrity for two weeks in July, and their tech expert was at the front desk helping folks quickly and efficiently on boarding day and the next day.  Then, after that, he was always available in what I think was an Apple Store in the shops area that seemed to be open all the time.  We are long-time cruisers on HAL, but their, I believe, cost-cutting measures eliminating tech help even before the shutdown just adds another layer of frustration for many, and I'm sure for the front desk staff.

Or as suggested, eliminate the app altogether and go back with something that really works. 

Edited by 12cruise2