Priority boarding for suite passengers?

magandab

Now that we get boarding times from HAL, can suite passengers ignore the assigned time and show up early.  We have an early boarding time but our family members also sailing in suites, have later boarding times.  Can  they show up to check in when we do, or should they wait?  Not trying to get ahead of anyone else, just wondering what the protocol is.

We usually get an early time anyway (like Noon or 1 PM) but we show up around 11 am and are let in.  By the way, the priority boarding is for Neptune and Penthouse passengers only  - not Signature nor Vista suites.

Not really Protocol but logistics. Practically, all departing passengers need to be physically OFF the ship first no matter what stateroom Suite. Yes, as a 4-star, we and Suites can board first, but it’s a matter of housekeeping logistics, thus we seem to walk aboard together. We prefer arriving about 1/pm and going to the 4/star line. Enjoy!! Comprende??

1 hour ago, magandab said:

Now that we get boarding times from HAL, can suite passengers ignore the assigned time and show up early.  We have an early boarding time but our family members also sailing in suites, have later boarding times.  Can  they show up to check in when we do, or should they wait?  Not trying to get ahead of anyone else, just wondering what the protocol is.

There are usually 2 aspects to your boarding - the health screening - which is first, takes the longest, and you don't get priority.    Once clear of the health protocol there is usually a separate line for suites/4/5 star etc.   By that time the lines are so short it doesn't really matter.  

Nevertheless, HAL usually doesn't enforce check in times so it doesn't really matter what your official time may be.  

Everyone can show up together - at whatever time you choose - unlikely anyone will ask or care.    HAL figures if 80pct of the people follow their boarding times it will be better.   

Its disappointing if they schedule mariner events before your boarding time when they know you can't attend.   Some ships have scheduled these the next day to avoid this issue.

Everyone in the terminal is motivated to get everyone on ASAP - no one is motivated to enforce check in times  - there is always the exception - San Diego used to but I think they aren't as strict any more.

"Arrival Times" when only 900 - 1,100 or so were boarding were not a problem for us in San Diego.

When 1,900 - 2,200 of you arrive starting early in October, expect the situation to be quite different.

There are so many variables to consider at this time.

Everyone must proceed through (I hope not Covid control) and then through security.  Once passed the "x-ray" gizmos, then there are separate lines for your individual boarding hierarchy.

We are almost all veteran cruisers and we wish your experience to be memorable for good reasons.

I am very proud to say that this season, we now have 98 sailing dates starting September 1st through May 11th.

David

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

There are usually 2 aspects to your boarding - the health screening - which is first, takes the longest, and you don't get priority.    Once clear of the health protocol there is usually a separate line for suites/4/5 star etc.   By that time the lines are so short it doesn't really matter.  

Nevertheless, HAL usually doesn't enforce check in times so it doesn't really matter what your official time may be.  

Everyone can show up together - at whatever time you choose - unlikely anyone will ask or care.    HAL figures if 80pct of the people follow their boarding times it will be better.   

Its disappointing if they schedule mariner events before your boarding time when they know you can't attend.   Some ships have scheduled these the next day to avoid this issue.

Everyone in the terminal is motivated to get everyone on ASAP - no one is motivated to enforce check in times  - there is always the exception - San Diego used to but I think they aren't as strict any more.

I agree that they should not schedule mariner events on embarkation day

before some passengers (who are invited) have not boarded yet.  Like 

you said, some ships have scheduled these for the next day. All the ships 

should do that.

8 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I am in a Neptune Suite on the Konigsdam for Saturday, August 6 and was placed in boarding group A at 10 a.m.   

WOW - that is an early boarding time!  What port and when is your ship's departure time?

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

WOW - that is an early boarding time!  What port and when is your ship's departure time?

Vancouver.  I think it is the standard 4pm or 5 pm. At one point I received an email explaining scheduling changes for the cruise. My main focus was getting to Vancouver the day before.  And then following the boarding times.  I was surprised too. 

I had a 10 AM boarding time in Vancouver in June.  At first, I thought - awesome.  Since I've never been to Canada Place and never cruised, I thought my karma was working in my favor.

Not really...walked to the terminal and dropped off our carry-ons on the first level around 9:30, and I was seated in the second row of the waiting area around 10:15.  And we waited, with masks on (mandatory in the terminal) until we boarded around 11:45.  The only advantage I saw with being one of the first to board was the Lido wasn't as busy.  And I got an early start on the drink package.  In hindsight, I would have rather have slept in,  check out of our hotel at the latest possible time (11:00 for Auberge), and then walk to the terminal (bypassing the luggage check-in since I didn't know you could walk aboard with carry-on luggage).

Edited by PACD_JG