In Room Dining

spny84

Hi,  I have tried to find out through search and google but have been unsuccessful.  When eating dinner in your room/suite can you choose from any menu on board or do you have to choose from a special in room one?  Also, if anyone has images of the actual menus I would love to see them.  We are sailing on the Silver Dawn.  Thank you!

For breakfast there is a menu on a door-hangar thingy that you fill out and put outside your cabin at night.  You tell them when you want the breakfast delivered, and it will show up exactly on time.  Be very specific about what you want, and what accompaniments you want.

As I recall, there was a special in-suite dining menu that you had to order from if you wanted to eat lunch or dinner in the room.  I never did, so I didn't pay too close attention to whether you could order off of the dining room menus.

There was a small array of hors d'ouerves that you could order from the in-suite menu if you wanted a nibble before dinner.

They have full menus on the tv and as far as I know, you can order whatever is on there🙂 but I do agree with the previous poster about breakfast......you order from the menu and put the door hanger outside. And actually, ask your butler if you want  something special for dinner.....I was not feeling well on my last cruise and he was kind enough to get me breakfast for dinner.

On the Silver Dawn you can only order from the room service menu for dinner. But you can have them make something special for you if you give them 24 hours notice. Talk to your butler when you get onboard. 

Edited by carefreecruise

FauxNom I was getting seriously depressed from all the prior responses.  Since we will not be dressing up I was expecting to be able to order from at least some of the other restaurants versus only from the room service (all-around menu?).  Since HAL allows you to order from the main menu during dinner service to your room (and before they stopped Princess, NCL, and Celebrity), I was expecting it on this higher end line.  I'm glad you at least had the ability to order from the main dining room menu.

I know Silversea staff probably doesn't read these post but ...  If I chose to eat in our suite why wouldn't items from any restaurant serving be available?  Not asking for anything special just what's on the menu. (Rant over :-)).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spny84 said:

FauxNom I was getting seriously depressed from all the prior responses.  Since we will not be dressing up I was expecting to be able to order from at least some of the other restaurants versus only from the room service (all-around menu?).  Since HAL allows you to order from the main menu during dinner service to your room (and before they stopped Princess, NCL, and Celebrity), I was expecting it on this higher end line.  I'm glad you at least had the ability to order from the main dining room menu.

I know Silversea staff probably doesn't read these post but ...  If I chose to eat in our suite why wouldn't items from any restaurant serving be available?  Not asking for anything special just what's on the menu. (Rant over :-)).

I agree. To not be able to order room service from the dining room menu during the dining room opening hours is not what I equate with a luxury line. I think this is something that even premium and mainstream lines offer!

3 hours ago, spny84 said:

Just for clarification, are you saying you don't want to dress up for the formal night?  Because on formal night I believe that there is always one restaurant that is still available on the ship for those who don't want to put on the dinner jacket.  So you can still have dinner out. 

The butler serves dinner if it is taken in the suite. My understanding/recollection is that at dinner time one can order from the Restaurant/Atlantide menu in addition to the room service menu.  The galley for room service is close to the main gallery for the MDR, with access to the same service corridor/lift, etc.  Things would get much more complicated if one was ordering from other restaurants on other decks with other access to service lifts.

As ever, I may be mistaken and would be pleased to be corrected/edified.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Just for clarification, are you saying you don't want to dress up for the formal night?  Because on formal night I believe that there is always one restaurant that is still available on the ship for those who don't want to put on the dinner jacket.  So you can still have dinner out. 

We dress neat but there will be no tie or jacket involved therefor I think we are more limited in where we can dine. And I'm concerned we may not get reservations in those more casual places.  We actually like eating on the balcony so was expecting to at least be able to order from the main dining room (which it seems we should be able to).  Historically we have done this on other lines.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, spny84 said:

If I chose to eat in our suite why wouldn't items from any restaurant serving be available?

I believe it;'s because room service is coming from a different galley, or a different line in one of the galleys.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, spny84 said:

We dress neat but there will be no tie or jacket involved therefor I think we are more limited in where we can dine. And I'm concerned we may not get reservations in those more casual places.  We actually like eating on the balcony so was expecting to at least be able to order from the main dining room (which it seems we should be able to).  Historically we have done this on other lines.

If I'm not mistaken you could order dinner from the Atlantide menu.  We were able to order from the Atlantide menu for dinner on the Moon.   Atlantide is more or less the "Dining Room".

On 8/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, spny84 said:

I agree—why wouldn’t you be able to order from the main dinning room.  Even Regent, Oceania and Sea Dreams you can.

I am currently on the Dawn and reading from the 'Room Service' section about dining and it says in part - 

Signature dishes from Atlantide are available during dinner hours from 19.00 until 21.30

This does not mean, I think, that you can order anything from the Atlantide menu because on the room service menu there is a page for the 'Signature Dishes'

I have no knowledge beyond this as I am not at all interested in eating in my room and never do so. However, I have to say that the rest of the room service menu seems to be pretty extensive.

• Like 1