RC approved power strip/non surge protector

Can someone recommend a power strip or plug in that is not a surge detector?

I need something for 2 iPhones, iPad, one laptop, and Apple Watch.  So at least two plugs and a couple of USB ports would be ideal. 

I looked through old threads and I didn’t see anything consistent that folks bought.

I sort of got the feeling even if something seemed legal (not surge protector or extension), it could still be taken away.  I want to buy the right thing without any problems. RC approved. 

17 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

We got these earlier this year, they are cruise approved and work great!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B091DW6Q9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of those a few months ago for our Adventure of the Seas cruise but unfortunately the outlets were too low above the vanity and there was no room to plug it in, so it went unused.  Hopefully I'll be able to use it on a different ship.

7 minutes ago, slyster said:

Thank you for your suggestions.  We will be on Enchantment so I heard there is only one outlet.  I was worried about that.

We also use this to take advantage of the European plug on board. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-TESSAN-International-Adaptor/dp/B07FJWLLDB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=SS1R8F6ZWZOY&keywords=european+plug+adapter&qid=1659449702&sprefix=EUROPEON+PLUG+ADAPTER%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-5

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

May I ask how many times you have used this and the last time you used it?  Also, any issues with it fitting in an outlet?  Thanks!

Edited by slyster
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, slyster said:

May I ask how many times you have used this and the last time you used it?  Also, any issues with it fitting in an outlet?  Thanks!

We used it on our last two cruises. It fits in the one European plug that is by the table. Worked well and added a few more plugs for us to use.

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We used it on our last two cruises. It fits in the one European plug that is by the table. Worked well and added a few more plugs for us to use.

Hmmmm, so I went to amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1Y04C7UJ4OVTZ/1/ref=ask_al_psf_al_hza

and in the questions/answers, a few royal caribbean cruisers said there was taken.  Hmmm....did you put it in  your carry on bag or checked bag?  A couple of folks said people at the terminal may not know RC specific policy whereas once its on board, they will know.

Edited by slyster
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

We got these earlier this year, they are cruise approved and work great!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B091DW6Q9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOL.  Cruise approved by who?  The seller?  RCI hasn't approved anything for sale on Amazon.  People keep posting it's "cruise approved" or "RCI approved" and there is no such animal.  They do ban certain things, but they do not endorse any power strip.  I just take a USB cube and we unplug things as they are charged and plug in others as needed.  Phones and my fitbit get plugged in overnight.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

1 minute ago, marchand28 said:

They also have this with a USB-C outlet.

is the usb 2.4A the same as USB-C or is that different?

2 minutes ago, slyster said:

is the usb 2.4A the same as USB-C or is that different?

The USB-C is a smaller USB plug that is used for faster charging, at least that's my understanding. It's also what an Apple Watch 7 uses. Which is why I needed one.

7 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I am guessing they mean fits the definition of what is allowed on board?

Ah, guessing.  She said  "cruise approved".  I've seen several people post on FB that they have an RCI approved/cruise ship approved one because it says so on Amazon.  Point is, none are endorsed or approved except by the seller.  Some have had items confiscated that stated that on Amazon.  Sellers can basically say what they want.  Others get away with full extension cords for a cruise or two and tell others that they can bring them when it clearly states they can't.  

Power output (amperage) has nothing to do with the USB connector type.  Also, higher amperage does not always equate to "fast" or "super-fast" charging.  Those require both a certain level of amperage output and electronic circuitry within the charger to regulate the charge.  If your phone needs a "C" but the socket is an "A", just get an A to C cable.  Here are the valid USB plug types:

image.png.0a7884caea7b1700767e2c1529a29906.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

Ah, guessing.  She said  "cruise approved".  I've seen several people post on FB that they have an RCI approved/cruise ship approved one because it says so on Amazon.  Point is, none are endorsed or approved except by the seller.  Some have had items confiscated that stated that on Amazon.  Sellers can basically say what they want.  Others get away with full extension cords for a cruise or two and tell others that they can bring them when it clearly states they can't.  

Well of course guessing.....if I could read minds I'd be rich enough to sail the world on a private yacht without the need for Cruise Critic.

7 minutes ago, marchand28 said:

The USB-C is a smaller USB plug that is used for faster charging, at least that's my understanding. It's also what an Apple Watch 7 uses. Which is why I needed one.

My Surface laptop has both.  I also carry a USB hub that has 4 USB ports that I can use as needed.  The only things I really need an electrical outlet for are my laptop, hair dryer and camera battery.  Phone and  fitbit use USB.   I plug my hairdryer in once a day to use and then unplug and my camera battery lasts days without needed recharge.  Heck, even my laptop can go hours without a charge.

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

Well of course guessing.....if I could read minds I'd be rich enough to sail the world on a private yacht without the need for Cruise Critic.

My only point is we don't know what she thinks, but I have seen other posts about it.

Just now, BND said:

My only point is we don't know what she thinks, but I have seen other posts about it.

And my point was that you can only guess about what is going to be approved and won't know until you get on board, so all you can go by is RC's stated regulations.... which at this point is that they can not be surge protected.  Until RC gives more specifications, your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BND said:

LOL.  Cruise approved by who?  The seller?  RCI hasn't approved anything for sale on Amazon.  People keep posting it's "cruise approved" or "RCI approved" and there is no such animal.  They do ban certain things, but they do not endorse any power strip.  I just take a USB cube and we unplug things as they are charged and plug in others as needed.  Phones and my fitbit get plugged in overnight.

“Cruise approved” as in they meet the requirements that cruise ships have regarding these type of items. You’re reading too far into this - it was a general statement, as I’m sure most are when they say “cruise approved”. No need to be snarky.

1 minute ago, mom2miracles said:

“Cruise approved” as in they meet the requirements that cruise ships have regarding these type of items. You’re reading too far into this - it was a general statement, as I’m sure most are when they say “cruise approved”. No need to be snarky.

Different cruise lines have different rules.  I doubt sellers on Amazon have checked the rules for every cruise line before writing their advertising. 

YMMV

• Like 1