RC approved power strip/non surge protector

So after more research, I see that the enchantment of the seas has two outlets by the desk.  I'm going to buy an anker with two usb c ports and using our lightning cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9M2V7X/?coliid=I20ME3BLLWRM22&colid=5WJ5H5222TUK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's two phones, 1 ipad, a laptop, and a watch.  I think we can get away with using that.  I can use it to charge the phones overnight.  

After reading:  Guests cannot bring electrical extension cords, including power boards or surge protected power boards.

I take it to mean non surge and surge protected even though it's not clear.  This may be why some who ordered had theirs taken (read in Amazon q/a and reviews).  It is non surge protected and not an extension cord.  I'm not going to argue the "cruise approved" but that doesn't make it approved by RC.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Power-Strip-USB-Outlets/dp/B07BHVKPC3?th=1

A few of you mentioned RC isn't always 100% strict which is why so many are able to bring different devices.  Being a newbie of these devices, I just don't want to take a chance especially when it seems they are not "RC approved".  I'll also say that buying the anker with two usb c ports may be violating the policy too and there's no difference between buying this or one with multiple outlets or usb ports.  You could say I'm breaking the rule a little vs breaking the rule a lot.  It gets too friggin complicated.  I wish they did post "RC approved" but they don't.  

Edited by slyster

19 hours ago, slyster said:

When we say there is one outlet in a cabin, does that mean one place to plug in or are there two places to plug into on one outlet?  I'm thinking of getting something like this so i can at least charge two things at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Durable-Compact-Included/dp/B09C5SC9FW?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

The older ships also have an outlet behind the TV.

19 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

No, Royal says no extension cords or "power boards." Anything that changes one outlet into more than one outlet is a power board, and against the official rules.

In my country the expression” power board” means it has both a cord and multiple outlets. “Double adaptor” or “multiple adaptor” has no cord but 2 or more outlets. We have always taken cordless multiple adaptors (especially multiple USB adaptors for charging) and had no issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BekkaW said:

In my country the expression” power board” means it has both a cord and multiple outlets. “Double adaptor” or “multiple adaptor” has no cord but 2 or more outlets. We have always taken cordless multiple adaptors (especially multiple USB adaptors for charging) and had no issues. 

I work in a related field. I can assure you, a cord is not required for something to be considered a power board. Anything that turns one plug into multiple plugs is a power board. The fact the rules have never been enforced for you isn't surprising, it's fairly common for them not to enforce their own rules.

17 hours ago, robmtx said:

I like Anker products so picked up one of these during Prime Day last month. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R6TP9YR/

I guess we'll hedge our bets and pack two.. one in each luggage!

They may not allow that as it's considered an extension cord.  I had them take and hold one that had a 1-foot cord and four power outlets without a circuit breaker.  

10 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

I work in a related field. I can assure you, a cord is not required for something to be considered a power board. Anything that turns one plug into multiple plugs is a power board. The fact the rules have never been enforced for you isn't surprising, it's fairly common for them not to enforce their own rules.

I sorted of felt that was what a power board is.  Anything with multiple plugs (or usb slots???).

3 minutes ago, slyster said:

I sorted of felt that was what a power board is.  Anything with multiple plugs (or usb slots???).

Not USB slots, just plugs.  Otherwise laptops and other items with multiple USB ports would be considered power boards.

10 minutes ago, slyster said:

USB is just a type of plug, when you are talking about power boards. It doesn't matter what type of plug it is. American standard (A or B) European standards (C, l, or G) or USB plugs... they are all just plugs; one plug into multiple plugs equals power board.

Again, the chances of them confiscating something you take on board are quite small, even smaller if it's just a USB thing; but technically it is against the rules. You aren't going to get in trouble, they might just take it at security, or your steward might take it if he see's it plugged in while you are away.

19 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Not USB slots, just plugs.  Otherwise laptops and other items with multiple USB ports would be considered power boards.

No, laptops aren't considered power boards because they are considered computers. They work much, much differently internally.

(Yes, I realize I said anything that turns one plug into multiple plugs is a power board. That's because there is no point in explaining things in a more technical way, they point is to put things into easy to understand terms for the average person; and the average person doesn't look at a computer and think "That's a device for splitting power" they think "That's a computer." Despite it being able to split power.)

On 8/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, slyster said:

Can someone recommend a power strip or plug in that is not a surge detector?

I need something for 2 iPhones, iPad, one laptop, and Apple Watch.  So at least two plugs and a couple of USB ports would be ideal. 

I looked through old threads and I didn’t see anything consistent that folks bought.

I sort of got the feeling even if something seemed legal (not surge protector or extension), it could still be taken away.  I want to buy the right thing without any problems. RC approved. 

If you can do with a triople. Dollar Tree for $1.25. I have 2 of these. You may not believe this. But excellent quality. You can get he same from Walmart for 4 times the price.

View Three Outlet Power Bars, 12

Power strip.docx

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

They may not allow that as it's considered an extension cord.

Won't stop me from bringing one in each bag 🙂 So far no issues. It's just a roll of the device really.

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Won't stop me from bringing one in each bag 🙂 So far no issues. It's just a roll of the device really.

that's true.  I just wanted to make sure you knew it may be taken.  To me, that one screams prohibited item so I would be curious to see if they allow it LOL.  What ship are you sailing on? 

Is this the one you take on board?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096SCF4BY

Now, i'm just curious LOL!

53 minutes ago, slyster said:

What ship are you sailing on? 

Is this the one you take on board?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096SCF4BY

Yea I take a previous version of it, but it's the same idea. I keep it coiled up in its original box in my luggage, and haven't had issue.

As for the new one, I'll see if it makes it too.. Oasis in 30 days.

• Like 1

I have been carrying a 2 foot (~60cm) heavy duty extension cord with three outlets on the end with my CPAP machine for years... I had never had it taken from me until my last cruise from San Juan,PR.

Shore side security saw it, and gave me a reciept for it. It was waiting for me when we arrived in Florida. 

We shall see what happens when I cruise again in Dec.

Aloha,

John

At Home Depot I bought an 18" long extension cord with three plugs.  It doesn't have any USB outlets so I still use the power blocks.  I have one that has two USB outlets.  The best thing is the plug rotates so no matter the orientation of the ships outlet I can still plug it in.  

On 8/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, slyster said:

Now, i'm just curious LOL!

Appreciate  both problems.  First, that receptacle is only rated for 15 amps.  Any one plug that can mate to it will never draw more than 15 amps.  But a power strip means more than one plug powered by that receptacle.  A human safety feature compromised.

So a power strip must have a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Second issue.  Protector parts in a power strip are so tiny (Type 3) that, in a home, it must be more than 30 feet from a main breaker box and earth ground.  So that it does not try to do much protection.  Otherwise its tiny joules can [do this](http://www.esdjournal.com/techpapr/Pharr/INVESTIGATING SURGE SUPPRESSOR FIRES.doc).

Safest power strip has a 15 amp circuit breaker, no protector parts, and a UL 1363 listing.  Cruise ships take those two fire threats far more seriously. 

4 hours ago, westom said:

Appreciate  both problems.  First, that receptacle is only rated for 15 amps.  Any one plug that can mate to it will never draw more than 15 amps.  But a power strip means more than one plug powered by that receptacle.  A human safety feature compromised.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.  If an electrical outlet is only rated for 15amps, then there better be a circuit breaker somewhere between it and it's feed line also rated at 15 amps.  If so, then I don't care how many splitters, surge protectors, or extension cords you plug into it, if all of them together draw more than the 15amps on that outlet, then the breaker feeding that outlet better trip.  Simple splitters, power strips and extension cords do not need circuit breakers.  

19 hours ago, rudeney said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.  If an electrical outlet is only rated for 15amps, then there better be a circuit breaker somewhere between it and it's feed line also rated at 15 amps.  

Go back and reread. First point:  Only plug that can mate to that receptacle will always consume less than 15 amps.  

"Any one plug that can mate to it will never draw more than 15 amps."

Second point.  Any device that connects multiple plugs to one receptacle must have a 15 amp circuit breaker. 

"So a power strip must have a 15 amp circuit breaker."

Apparently this is new. One does not even begin to grasp something new until a third reread. Even numbers are not seen until a second reading.  Please go back and reread it.

Edited by westom

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Ok so you are saying the devices that plug directly into the outlet with multiple USB slots are fine?

All USB ports (from the very first design from Intel) feature a current limiter.  That means a typical USB port will never consume more than 0.21 amps.  Well below a 15 amp limit.

Never matters what one did.  Otherwise we can all run stop signs.  Since I just ran 10 and never killed anyone.

What always matters are facts that predict what is 'safe' and what is 'potentially harmful'.

0.21 amps is not overloading - not a threat.

On 8/5/2022 at 6:28 PM, westom said:

Even a power strip with a "circuit breaker" only opens the "hot" leg, which does not fully address the problem of overloading due to the neutral on the ship not being at the same voltage as the ground, so even when the breaker trips, the power strip could still draw significant current.  This is why the circuit breakers on the ship are two pole breakers.

2 hours ago, westom said:

Go back and reread. First point:  Only plug that can mate to that receptacle will always consume less than 15 amps.  

"Any one plug that can mate to it will never draw more than 15 amps."

Second point.  Any device that connects multiple plugs to one receptacle must have a 15 amp circuit breaker. 

"So a power strip must have a 15 amp circuit breaker."

Apparently this is new. One does not even begin to grasp something new until a third reread. Even numbers are not seen until a second reading.  Please go back and reread it.

What rules are you quoting?  is this a maritime electrical code?