Seasick Patches?

ladocevita

I’m going to England and Athens pre cruise are sea sick patches available there?  Not available in Canada anymore, known as Transderm here. Any other suggestions? Very sensitive so gravol, wrist bands and ginger won’t help. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by ladocevita

I bought the patches for years, because I always got seasick even in mild seas.  Several years back, somebody said they use a combination of Bonine and ginger tablets. I take one Bonine every morning and a ginger tablet with every meal and if rougher seas another Bonine before dinner.  They don’t make you drowsy and I have not been sea sick in 9 years.  Even when crossing the Tasman sea in 40 ft waves.  I was skeptical but the whole ship was sick and I was fine. Also much cheaper, they are available on Amazon.

Fortunately rough seas don’t appear to affect me. Since the other things don’t seem to help (ginger, etc) maybe you could get Scopalamine patches

(you’re in Canada? It’s a prescription here in US). They’re effective but do tend to make some drowsy. It’s also advised not to drink alcohol while wearing. There is also Benadryl, over the counter, but that too has a drowsy side effect.

I’ve also heard your everyday GI meds may help (Pepcid, Reglan…). Guess it’s trial and error. Hope you can find something that works so you can enjoy your wonderful cruise. 

1 hour ago, ladocevita said:

I’m going to England and Athens pre cruise are sea sick patches available there?  Not available in Canada anymore, known as Transderm here. Any other suggestions? Very sensitive so gravol, wrist bands and ginger won’t help. Thanks in advance! 

Just bought them on Amazon Canada website.  If your in U.S.A. not sure about Amazon down there.

Scopolamine works well for me- no drowsiness, just extreme dry mouth. I guess I've never read the insert, didn't know alcohol isn't advised. Good thing I don't always follow directions 🙂

34 minutes ago, ladocevita said:

Only in the USA not in Canada 

Scopolamine patches are not available Canada as of earlier this year.. The knock off Chinese patches you get on Amazon Canada are herbal and useless.

Bonine (meclizine) taken once or twice daily works for many and is less likely to cause drowsiness. But you would need a trip to the US to get it.

An OTC med I've seen many Brits recommend is Stugeron (cinnarazine). You could get it at a pharmacy while in England.

Edited by mom says

46 minutes ago, mom says said:

Scopolamine patches are not available Canada as of earlier this year.. The knock off Chinese patches you get on Amazon Canada are herbal and useless.

Bonine (meclizine) taken once or twice daily works for many and is less likely to cause drowsiness. But you would need a trip to the US to get it.

An OTC med I've seen many Brits recommend is Stugeron (cinnarazine). You could get it at a pharmacy while in England.

Is the one from England a patch ?

15 hours ago, ladocevita said:

Is the one from England a patch ?

Stugeron is a tablet. In the UK, the scopolomine patch is sold otc as Scopoderm. The active ingredient is hyoscine, which is the same as scopolomine.

20 minutes ago, mom says said:

Stugeron is a tablet. In the UK, the scopolomine patch is sold otc as Scopoderm. The active ingredient is hyoscine, which is the same as scopolomine.

Very helpful. I’ll look for it 

19 hours ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

The patches (scopolamine) work wonders.....1/2 patch morning before embarkation for 2 1/2 days...replace 1/2 patch every 2 1/2 days...can always go stronger if needed (whole patch)....waves rocked me to sleep at night.....read the label!

Cutting drug patches in half is very risky and contrary to the manufacturer's advice.  The problem is the patches use a complex dosage system contained in layers within the patch.  Cutting the patch can impact the rate of dosage causing issues.   Some folks get away with doing it, and others regret doing it.   For those that still trust the FDA their information is pretty definitive:   "Do not cut the Transdermal system"

If you want to read for yourself here is the info:

label (fda.gov)

Hank

• Thanks 2

On 8/2/2022 at 12:29 PM, ladocevita said:

Oh no not available anymore????  I have always gotten them at Costco.  This is the only thing that works for me.  I must check the local Costco next trip there.

Marlster

1 hour ago, Marlster said:

Oh no not available anymore????  I have always gotten them at Costco.  This is the only thing that works for me.  I must check the local Costco next trip there.

Marlster

No been discontinued in Canada. Checked everywhere 

I wonder why they were discontinued in Canada. I bought them there once OTC. They came as individual patches at that time and the cost was pretty much the same as I get in the US with Medicare. Here I just send my doctor a note on the patient portal online and he sends the prescription to the pharmacy for however many I tell him I need. (I base my need on 3 days per patch.) I doubt very much that I would be able to cruise without my patch. I would never consider cutting the patch. I have to wonder why they are no longer available in Canada. Could they have been reclassified and no be by prescription only?

@Pstcrik said they were still available on the Canadian Amazon site. if so, I'd suggest stocking up.

Edited by Thrak

On 8/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, ladocevita said:

I buy Bonine (or the generic meclizine) and it works great for us.  It isn't available in Canada, but we live close to the border so we can go across and get it in any US pharmacy.  Very reasonably priced.  We also have ordered it online for Amazon.com. (not .ca)    The other option is to buy it on the ship  - we have seen it many times in the on board shop. 

We used the patches once and hated them.  Awful dry mouth and just a funny feeling overall. 

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I wonder why they were discontinued in Canada. I bought them there once OTC. They came as individual patches at that time and the cost was pretty much the same as I get in the US with Medicare. Here I just send my doctor a note on the patient portal online and he sends the prescription to the pharmacy for however many I tell him I need. (I base my need on 3 days per patch.) I doubt very much that I would be able to cruise without my patch. I would never consider cutting the patch. I have to wonder why they are no longer available in Canada. Could they have been reclassified and no be by prescription only?

@Pstcrik said they were still available on the Canadian Amazon site. if so, I'd suggest stocking up.

https://physicians.northernhealth.ca/sites/physicians/files/news/documents/2022/scopolamine-patch-discontinuation.pdf

for myself I have used and found help in using the herbal patches available on Amazon.ca

51 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The patches on Amazon are herbal. Certainly not the same thing. Can’t get the medicated patches with or without a prescription in Canada. That’s why I’m asking for help or leftovers. Willing to pay for them. 

Edited by ladocevita

On 8/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, ladocevita said:

When on board go to the guest services desk and ask for sea sick pills. No cost to you and yes they work.