QV Review live

Yorkshire Mike

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I believe U.K. Chips are best made from a favoured breed of potato. Do you know which it is? The things in the third photo look more like potato wedges to me - worthy, but not really chips.

King Edwards as an alternative to Maris Piper? 🥔🥔🥔

• Like 1

In the U.S. the potato of choice is the Russet. I would say reconstituted fries are found in the grocery freezer aisle. Washington state produces the most potatoes in the U.S. There was an article in the paper this morning from a local fast food chain apologizing for the current fries they are serving. It appears there is a shortage of fresh potatoes due to a problem with the seed potatoes planted earlier in the year. New potatoes are being dug now and will reach Seattle in the next week and crispy fries will return.

Hello,

IThe Seattle Times' article, "Dick’s Drive-In switches up its

On 8/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, majortom10 said:

Find it rather strange and annoying that FCDs are still not being sold to UK cruiser's but are available to US cruiser's. Another anomaly as well as free drinks packages for Grill suite passengers from US but not UK that seems to favour US over UK.

What is a FCD?

6 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

French Fries - Served at most US fast food chains eaten with burger

7 hours ago, Yorkshire Mike said:

and probably made from reconstituted potato

French Fries here (frites) should be real potatoes very finely sliced. We cheat and buy frozen oven fries/chips. Certainly not reconstituted but various things added for flavour and surface texture:

[Potatoes 90% - sunflower oil 5% - wheat flour - rice flour - wheat starch - salt - yeast extract - dextrose - spice extracts (paprika - turmeric) - baking powders: diphosphates, carbonates of sodium - stabilizers: xanthan gum, diphosphates - antioxidant: rosemary extracts.]

fa206e3c-6876-4fe0-a548-9f92a2aa5407.jpg

3 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

What's it's benefit?

The deposit can be used on any voyage. The amount of on-board credit is the same as for a booking made on-board. For example, the last two I used gave us a $300 credit on a seven-night voyage in a balcony cabin. A 10-night cruise in the Grills gave us $800 credit.

I understand when they were available to residents of the UK the terms were somewhat different. The ones those from the US and Canada can buy must be used within four years but they are fully refundable.  I always book one when on board.

Not very happy that no longer available to UK cruiser's but US cruiser's can still purchase them. Plainly obvious that Cunard favour US cruiser's over UK cruiser's and have in the past been in long discussion with CEO office in the UK and they couldn't give me a straight why they have been stopped for UK cruiser's but not US. Also how they justify giving grill bookings in US free drinks package and gratuities but not UK bookings. After many PMs with CEO UK office and every denial available and no justifiable answer and plenty of BS they ignored my messages.

@Yorkshire Mike I noted you said no photographer on ship, did they indicate when they might return. I like to get a decent pic of DH and I on our cruises as its the only time we dress up nice enough to be photographed and then I usually send a copy out to rellys at Xmas so they can see we're still alive since they don't care to  visit all year  lol 😉 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Predictive text lol 😆
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

@Yorkshire Mike I noted you said no photographer on ship, did they indicate when they might return. I like to get a decent pic of DH and I on our cruises as its the only time we dress up nice enough to be photographed and then I usually send a copy out to rellys at Xmas so they can see we're still alive since they don't care to  visit all year  lol 😉 

QM2 had photographers last month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

No, no indication at all, sorry.  The area on deck 3, starboard side aft, that is usually lined with open cabinets of pictures was empty, no notices, no staff, just the closed cabinets.

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't suppose you noticed whether the Golden Lion was serving lunch on embarkation day ?

No, sorry, we were slightly later getting on board and it was a really warm, sunny day so we didn’t walk around inside at all, just up to lunch then unpacked then went for a stroll around deck 3 before retiring to our balcony for the sail out.

• Like 1

Currently on board QV. Embarkation time of 2pm. Showered in state room and sat in Golden Lion for lunch by 2:30pm. New perk of reaching platinum.   Had a lovely Tikka masala. 

Edited by Ribbleside
  • Like 4

On 8/6/2022 at 3:47 AM, exlondoner said:

QM2 had photographers last month.

There were photographers on the QE on our Alaska cruise in June. But they were not "in your face" as is so often the case. On some nights they set up in various parts of the ship. We had photos taken in the grand lobby on a gala night. They were the best we ever had on any ship.

One photographer told us due to COVID concerns they were not allowed to take photos in the restaurants.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 9:27 AM, Host Hattie said:

I don't suppose you noticed whether the Golden Lion was serving lunch on embarkation day ?

It was back in March. Busy, but less so than of an evening later in the cruise. Get there ASAP!

Edit: Sorry, that was QM2. But I'm sure the advice on haste is still valid.

Edited by P2l
  • Like 1